You Do Something To Me recording date

rxxre eves

May 15, 2022, 12:29:54 PM5/15/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Derek

Theres a bit of confusion about the recording date for this.

Bill Ronayne has Lee Ah Loo and You Do Something To Me recorded on 24 July with The Song Angels Sing and Because You're Mine recorded on 1 August. Armando Cesari has it the other way round – The Song Angels Sing and Because You're Mine recorded on 24 July with Lee Ah Loo and You Do Something To Me recorded on 1 August.

I've always found Armando Cesari to be better researched and more accurate. And the sequence of matrix numbers for the 4 recordings supports Cesari, so I believe You Do Something To Me was recorded on 1 August 1952.

Am I correct?

Derek McGovern

May 16, 2022, 9:08:27 AM5/16/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Ray:

I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of Armando's discography regarding the recording date of "You Do Something to Me", as I know he had access to the official recording logs.  And, as you point out, the sequence of the matrix numbers should leave no doubt about the order of all four of those recordings.

In my liner notes for the various Sepia Records CDs that You Do Something to Me, Because You're Mine, and The Song Angels Sing appear on, I used the recording dates listed in Armando's book (so, yes, I do trust his accuracy!).

Cheers,
Derek