Mario's 100th Birthday - 31 January 2021 - Tributes, Events, Celebrations.

Steff Walzinger

Sep 9, 2020, 8:42:17 AM9/9/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

Hi to All,

I know it is still some months until we can start celebrating Mario’s 100th birthday (and Enrico Caruso’s 100th anniversary of death), however, I wanted to create this new thread to post about the tributes that might come up in the future, no matter at what time, in what way or format.

I dearly hope that next year the Corona pandemic will not obstruct any celebrations that are planned by our Mario Lanza fan clubs.

Our own Vince di Placido has already done some „pre-celebration“ – as I call it - with all his wonderful you-tube videos, which he did with much love and devotion for the fans, and I am sure he’s not running out of inspiration and is already working on some more projects to be realized the coming months.

There are already a few things at the horizon right now.

I see that Joseph Calleja will do two concerts (maybe more to come?) next year, which include Mario Lanza: First, there’s one in Cologne on 21 May 2021, titled „Nostalgissimo,“ with Rumon Gamba conducting. I understand this concert will be showing excerpts from various film classics (in black and white) and featuring the closing scene from the movie „Arrivederci Roma.“ Then there will be a concert at the „Konzerthaus Dortmund“ on 30 May 2021 titled „Nostalgia: A Tribute to Mario Lanza: Opernarias und Filmusik.“ Not sure if this actually is the same show as the one in Cologne.

Filignano, Italy, the birthplace of Mario’s father Antonio, will celebrate Mario’s centenary next August.

Dublin, Ireland, will have „The Loveliest Night of the Year“ tribute  („62th anniversary remembrance concert“) returning to the National Concert Hall on 6 October 2021. This year‘s concert unfortunately fell victim to Corona. I hope that other venues in Ireland, such as Cork or Limerick, will get their share, too, as it used to be the past years.

Marc Vincent, Australian tenor, who released a Mario Lanza tribute album three years ago (2017), will give a Mario Lanza tribute concert at the Orange Civic Theatre, Australia, on 6 February 2021, and another one (re-scheduled) will take place on 10 July 2021 at Bicentennial Hall in Queanbeyan, Australia.

Of course, all those planned events are still hanging in the balance, since nobody knows how things will develop in Pandemic times.

However, I have some surprising news (which Corona could not stop!) and which I will post about soon, something that came totally unexpected and might be especially interesting for our German speaking fans. So please stay tuned!

Steff

Stefan Huber

Sep 13, 2020, 4:21:20 AM9/13/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Many thanks for the info, Steff. I think it's not too early because these things take of course time to prepare.

I'm still hoping that Sony will finally pull things together and release a box set for the 100TH Anniversary (like they've done with so many other artists during the last decade). Actually, they should not only do one, but three: one with all the studio recordings (albums plus bonus disks with singles and rarities), another one with all the transcriptions and a third one with all extant movie recordings. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Steff Walzinger

Sep 13, 2020, 9:09:49 AM9/13/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Servus Stefan,
I, too, hope that we will see some release(s) in the course of next year celebrating Mario's 100th birthday (my idea would be a release featuring both, Enrico Caruso and Mario Lanza, on the occasion of their 100th birthday/anniversary ("zwei Fliegen mit einer Klappe"!!).
I could imagine that Derek Mannering, who has worked with RCA/BMG/Sony Entertainment for some CD projects in the past, tries to "mobilize" the company to make something possible. Same for Derek McGovern & friends here. However, there's the financial aspect that might be obstructive. Big companies like Sony Entertainment are often focusing on the demand and desired sales figures of a release, and we have to face it, Mario Lanza, as much as we fans wish it was different, is no big money maker nowadays (this might be different with other artists from the past like, for example, Sinatra or Elvis). And Sepia Records, a relatively small company (compared to Sony), might be affected by Corona and the financial shortcoming caused and going along with the pandemic (and the political situation there), so they might not produce as much new releases right now, as they would like to do in "normal times."
However, we are Lanza fans, so we never give up hope, right?!!
Steff

Steff Walzinger

Oct 4, 2020, 11:02:06 AM10/4/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

Hi to All,

Well, a few weeks ago I promised a surprise, so here it is:

In September, a beautiful music calendar for 2021 was published in Germany. There’s a page for each week of the year featuring one artist respectively. I am delighted to tell you, that Mario Lanza is represented on the page in his birthday-week.                                                                                                                                                                                     The publisher is „edition momente,“ based in Hamburg, Germany, and Zurich, Switzerland. The calendar, designed in very high quality (with spiral binding and an impressive size of 32.5 x 24 cm) and with great attention to detail, has a very appealing layout, fresh and modern appearance in tasteful colours, with stunning photos of various musicians. The subject of the 2021 calendar is „Sehnsuchtsorte“ (places of longing). Various artists are speaking of real existing places as well as ficitional ones, which, for them, had a special meaning in their lives and careers: „These can be real and imaginary places, happy, disappointing and lost ones, as well as places that are beyond our reach,“ as the publishers describe it on their website.

I am proud to say that mariolanzatenor.com (Derek McGovern and myself) was involved in this project, in that we did participate to Mario’s page. Last summer, Derek McGovern was approached with an enquiry from Miss Vitali, one of the publishers. They had chosen Mario for one of the calendar pages to commemorate his 100th birthday on 31 January 2021, and asked for permission to use a quote of Mario that they had spotted on our website.

As this was a German project Derek McGovern asked me to „take over negotiations,“ giving me free rein in whatever decision I would make.

The quote „in demand“ was not one of the usual – standard- ones of Mario, that we all are so much familiar with (like „I sing each word as though it were my last on earth“), but taken from his 1959 RAI radio interview, which he did only shortly before he passed away. Some of you might remember that, last year, I translated this interview from Italian into English, since some people, one poster from this forum in particular, wished so much to understand what Mario and his family were talking about.

Well, Ms. Vitali and her co-publisher, Ms. Elisabeth Raabe, must have come across this interview during their researches and decided to use the following quote (they translated it into German), where Mario speaks about his teacher Enrico Rosati: „I went to live with Maestro Rosati. And truly this was the most beautiful period of my live. It is strange that I tell you this. Maybe strange for you because how can it be that a person, as singer, can say that the studies with the maestro were the most wonderful time of his life instead of, let’s say, being on stage in front of an audience? No, it’s the truth, I can say, that for me, it was the happiest experience. 13 months, and after that he kissed me on both cheeks and said: „Mario, go and never come back to this studio as a student, but only as a friend.“

As a photo they chose the publicity photo of Mario in tuxedo from „That Midnight Kiss,“ the scene in which he sings he aria „Celeste Aida.“ In my opinion the photo is a good match to above quote, as it is the image of a very young looking Mario, who indeed looks like a music student in his beginnings rather than an accomplished opera singer.

I think this calendar truly is a masterpiece, and Mario is in very good company of musicians such as Enrico Caruso, Nellie Melba, Giuseppe di Stefano (another centenarian), Claudio Abbado, Mariss Jansons, Alban Berg, Igor Strawinsky, Montserrat Caballé, Jessye Norman, Rosa Ponselle, to mention only a few of the featured -all non living- artists. It celebrates the greats on their birth- or deathday. At the end of the calendar you can find short biographies of each artist, which might be an inspiration and incentive to read more about them. Our website mariolanzatenor.com is mentioned under the acknowledgments, which, I hope, might draw attention to our website and, of course, to Mario Lanza, in order to hopfully attract some new fans.

This calendar is done highly professional, as are all the other calendars that this small but excellent publisher is offering.

For those who are interested in ordering the calendar, go to the website of the publisher which is edition-momente.com. Costs are Euro 22 (33.50 Swiss Francs respectively), which, I think, is a very fair price, given all the work behind it, the extensive researches, elaboration, costs for copyright and high class (climate friendly) printing. The calendar is also available in bookstores in Germany, Switzerland and Austria.

Apart from Ms. Raabe, who is responsible for the texts, and Ms. Vitali who looks for the pictures and secures the rights of reproduction, I would like to mention Max Bartholl who is responsible for design,  and, last but not least, Dr. Melanie Unseld, professor at the University of Music and Performing Arts in Vienna, who composed the short biographies. I understand the four have been an experienced team for years.

Follow the link, and you will get a preview of the calendar, showing some of the pages, one of them Mario's (the calendar pages change automatically!):

https://www.edition-momente.com/kalender/musik-kalender-2021.html

I would like to extend warm thanks to the publishers for including Mario Lanza in this calendar. Given Mario’s special, at times controversally regarded status in the musical world and the fact that his extraordinary talent, sadly, still is not always acknowleged and appreciated the way it should be, this is a wonderful, heartwarming gift to Mario Lanza, his family and Mario’s steadfast fanbase. Mario deserves this recognition so very much, since he was so much more than just a Hollywood actor with a singing voice! And thank you dear „edition momente“ for having us participate!

What an honour and unexpected surprise - especially in those challenging times!

https://www.edition-momente.com/wir-ueber-uns.html

Steff

Mario's calendar page

Cover of the music calendar 2021

Derek McGovern

Oct 4, 2020, 7:56:14 PM10/4/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thanks for a terrific post, Steff.

All I can add is that, naturally, I was delighted that Lanza was included in this very classy calendar alongside such august musical personalities, and how fortuitous it was that you were able to be involved in this project. Just think: if it hadn't been for your going to so much trouble to transcribe and translate the September 1959 RAI interview (which I hope Norma, who was so anxious to understand what was being said, actually read in the end!), Lanza might not have ended up in this calendar.

I also think it's great that the quotation used is not one with which many people will be familiar.

Ms. Vitale and Ms. Raabe have certainly done Mario Lanza proud with this calendar, and I wish them great success with sales.

Cheers,
Derek

Vincent Di Placido

Oct 5, 2020, 2:43:39 PM10/5/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com
This is fantastic news & such a great product, it looks classy. Well done Steff & Derek.
Steff, I actually had a sequence planned for my Rosati film that included that RAI audio & I think I am going to restore it & upload it as another cut because it is such a beautiful piece from Mario about Rosati, that I should never have cut. I used the “Etude” interview on its own instead.
I will definitely be ordering one of those calendars.
Vince.

Sent from my iPhone

Emilio iodice

Oct 5, 2020, 2:52:14 PM10/5/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this new souvenir which is another way to remember Mario.  I listened again to his RAI interview and his Italian was quite good and, as often was the case, he spoke joyously and obviously with a smile.

Emilio

Emilio Iodice

http://www.iodicebooks.com/

“I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”
Etienne de Grellet, Quaker Missionary

"You can't win today's games with yesterday's home runs."

“You can never defeat a person who never gives up.”
George Herman "Babe" Ruth, American Baseball player.

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars and change the world." Harriet Tubman

Vincent Di Placido

Oct 5, 2020, 7:18:11 PM10/5/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Here is the alternate edit of the Rosati film that uses the RAI 1959 interview.

Armando

Oct 6, 2020, 5:40:40 PM10/6/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

Wednesday, October, 7, 1959, a preview screening of Mario Lanza latest film “For the First Time” at the Metro Cinema, Melbourne.

I sat enthralled watching my idol and thinking how impressive his singing was compared to his previous film “Seven Hills of Rome.” I couldn’t wait to hear him in person – a tour of Australia had been announced. The following morning came the shattering news-Mario Lanza was dead! My world came crumbling down.

61 years later I am eternally grateful to Mario Lanza for having enriched my life with the gift of his magnificent voice.

Vincent Di Placido

Oct 7, 2020, 3:07:44 AM10/7/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Remembering Mario on the 7th of October with a few moments of Mario magic. ❤️

Sent from my iPhone

THOMPSON

Oct 7, 2020, 6:56:52 AM10/7/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com

Thank you, Vince. It is 10 to 7 EasternTime. It was about this time when I was awakened and was told of a radio news flash that Mario had died. 61 years later I have a chill of that moment.

All the best and stay safe,

Jim Thompson

Derek McGovern

Oct 7, 2020, 11:24:16 AM10/7/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Many thanks for your latest gem, Vince! It was the perfect way to enjoy a Mario memorial evening.

Vincent Di Placido

Oct 7, 2020, 12:45:33 PM10/7/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thanks Derek!
Here is something I have been working on...

Derek McGovern

Jan 30, 2021, 10:52:54 PM1/30/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Today marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of Mario Lanza. I'm going to celebrate this momentous occasion by revelling in the many video masterpieces that Vince Di Placido has created over the last few months, starting with his latest:

And to my musical hero, who changed my life in immeasurable ways: Happy Birthday, Mario!

Steff Walzinger

Jan 31, 2021, 11:30:57 AM1/31/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

Victoria Bigelow

Jan 31, 2021, 11:53:36 AM1/31/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Love this! Thank you! Happy Birthday, Mario!

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 30, 2021, at 10:53 PM, Derek McGovern <derek.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

Today marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of Mario Lanza. I'm going to celebrate this momentous occasion by revelling in the many video masterpieces that Vince Di Placido has created over the last few months, starting with his latest:

And to my musical hero, who changed my life in immeasurable ways: Happy Birthday, Mario!

Emilio iodice

Jan 31, 2021, 12:09:53 PM1/31/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.  Viva Mario and all his fans.

Emilio

Emilio Iodice

Wall Street Journal Number One Best Selling Author including the new International Best Seller, The Commander in Chief: The Qualities Needed of Leaders of Freedom Loving Nations, Lessons from American Presidential History

http://www.iodicebooks.com/

“I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”

Etienne de Grellet, Quaker Missionary

"You can't win today's games with yesterday's home runs."

“You can never defeat a person who never gives up.”

George Herman "Babe" Ruth, American Baseball player.

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars and change the world." Harriet Tubman

"And you shall know the truth and the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Steff Walzinger

Jan 31, 2021, 5:30:38 PM1/31/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com

Hello to All!

Well, here’s a first résumé of the long expected „Day of Days,“ some tributes for Mario’s 100th Birthday from Germany and Austria.

I was delighted to see a few radio tributes, which will be especially interesting for our German speaking Lanza friends. The tributes were more than unexpected and to me a big surprise.

I am not sure how long they will be available on the respective websites.

The Austrian ORF radio station already did a nice one hour tribute on 26th January, „Tenorstar abseits der Bühne,“ elaborated by Christoph Wagner - Trenkwitz. Our Austrian friends might be familiar with his name, as he is one of the commentators of the yearly Vienna Opera Ball, which is always broadcast live on TV. A very nice and enjoyable tribute despite some minor errors. Although the programme started with Mario’s signature song „Be My Love,“ the musical pieces that were chosen focused on opera - the last track being the Otello duet from „Serenade,“ which Wagner-Trenkwitz said was one of the most impressive of Mario’s recordings.

https://oe1.orf.at/programm/20210126/625411/Tenorstar-abseits-der-Buehne?fbclid=IwAR2HyeKiW8n_HJh1-bjN6T9riXe9xhhIjN0eWaH3_OqN4sWgozYZQ1UcN28

I understand there also was an Austrian programme with music broadcast on 29th January, „Zum 100er von Mario Lanza“ by Michael Gmasz. Sadly, I could not figure out if there is a way to re-listen to it as a podcast. Maybe someone from Austria can help and give some more information? I would love to hear it.

https://radioklassik.at/zum-100er-von-mario-lanza/?fbclid=IwAR0Imr_34GAUf8cW3waDxuL4J0AOk_qhTU2-_Cwxwb4JQHDCw33BFsO4Irc

Then we had a little 4 minute tribute on RBB radio (Berlin) by Katharina Willhelm, „Erinnerung an Mario Lanza zum 100.Geburtstag.“ Although kept short, I thought it was very nicely done, and I was surprised that they even managed to play (as an audio) a few seconds of the Christopher Programme and the 2017 „The Best of Everything“ documentary with comments by Derek Mannering and Russell Watson.

https://www.rbb-online.de/rbbkultur/suche/#searchform_q__mario,,20lanza___start__0___fromSearchbox

The BR Klassik Radio station (Bavaria) will have Mario’s 100th as topic of the coming week, so the next five days, every day at 12:05 o’clock CET, Mario will be featured at the „Mittagsmusik.“ Apart from that there’s also a narration, „Zwischen Oper und Hollywood" by Markus Vanhoever.

https://www.br-klassik.de/programm/sendungen-a-z/mittagsmusik/mario-lanza-100-geburtstag-thema-der-woche-100.html

https://www.br-klassik.de/aktuell/mario-lanza-tenor-usa-hollywood-geburtstag-100-jahre-portraet-100.html

BR also has an 8 minute podcast, which can be downloaded, „Mario Lanza zum 100.Geburtstag“ by Susanne Felix, originally aired on 30 January.

https://www.br.de/mediathek/podcast/zoom-musikgeschichte-und-was-sonst-geschah/mario-lanza-zum-100-geburtstag/1816937?fbclid=IwAR1sp1eOOvBEWwifBAxqx5B6K1PpthFrEjOEdHCYsVWlvOaP5fIQQU2dnkE

And last but not least, something from Deutschlandfunk, „Mario Lanza – Opernpopstar Hollywoods und der Schallplatte.“  Here we have mention of Armando Cesari and his book!

https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/vor-100-jahren-geboren-mario-lanza-opern-popstar-hollywoods.871.de.html?dram%3Aarticle_id=491593&fbclid=IwAR2iedoXxfS5B2vwZNob2qdugMmtClmld8z-OJm_1c6_BizrNyMECqVnb-c

So, all in all, I am quite happy about my today’s „yield.“

Our daily local newspaper here, the „Badische Zeitung“ (Southwest Germany) even had an article about Mario Lanza in its weekend issue. I have to say, that I will have to pick a bone with the writer, as he made two mistakes, which could easily have been avoided: He wrote that Lanza was born in New York and that he died in 1957! Ah well!

No matter how correct and complete the narrations are – nobody is perfect - it is encouriging to see that Mario Lanza is not forgotten in Germany and Austria. None of the tributes was offending in any way, although some, of course, mentioned Mario’s problems.

Happy listening! VIVA Mario!

Steff

I am exhausted after listening to all the tributes! Maybe I should have avoided the glass of red wine to cheer Mario!!

Stefan Huber

Jan 31, 2021, 6:37:20 PM1/31/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I had hoped for some more media coverage on this occasion. Unfortunately, reactions to this very special event have been rather reserved thus far.

There has been a tribute broadcast on Austria's public radio earlier this week:

https://oe1.orf.at/programm/20210126/625411/Tenorstar-abseits-der-Buehne

Maybe arte will join the club at a later time and will show at least one of his movies. After all, it has now been twenty years since "The Great Caruso" and "The Toast Of New Orleans" have been on German television. Airings of "Serenade" and "The Student Prince" date back to the early 1990s.

Francine Maultz

Feb 1, 2021, 12:20:52 PM2/1/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone:

Thank you for including me in this marvelous group!  Years ago, I studied voice at Settlement Music School in Philadelphia which housed the Mario Lanza Institute founded by a friend of Lanza.  I recently found out that in 2018 the Institute changed locations.  Here is the information.

Perhaps our members might care to learn more about it?

Kind regards,
Francine Holly Maultz

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 5:30 PM Steff Walzinger <Stefanie....@t-online.de> wrote:

[...]

Vincent Di Placido

Feb 1, 2021, 1:46:07 PM2/1/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
We had a lovely day celebrating all things Mario, we watched a few YouTube offerings, listened to some choice Mario recordings & watched The Great Caruso as a family.
Oh! How charming and charismatic Mario was, my wife Aoife remarked as we watched the movie on this and how warm he was.
I have to say that ending, pure MGM Hollywood though it may be gets me every time, the collapsing on stage after pulling out all the stops to finish the performance and then his friends laying the wreath with "Because" swelling on the soundtrack, it choked me up yet again (maybe more than ever actually).
I have to say I was so disappointed with Warners & Sony, absolutely nothing done for Mario's centenary it seems.
It's wonderful to see the efforts in Germany & Austria, Steff. Mario was always very popular there.

Lou Abada

Derek McGovern

Feb 1, 2021, 9:00:17 PM2/1/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
It's lovely to read all the recent posts on this thread. Steff: Thanks for that exhaustive list of tributes! I'm impressed that Germany, in particular, has been so active in commemorating Mario's centenary.

Francine: Welcome aboard! How interesting that you studied singing at the Settlement Music School in Philadelphia---and thanks for the article link.

Stefan: It's nice to see you posting again. I know that you wrote about the Austrian tribute before Steff actually posted about it, but because your post went to the moderation queue first, it was delayed by some hours. This is because you posted under a different address than the one you joined with, so perhaps you might consider rejoining with your new address?

Vince: I know you weren't the only member of our forum who watched The Great Caruso on Sunday :) Yes, it is an adorable film, with Mario's charm and warmth on full display, and a very important one too---in terms of the number of lives it changed for the better. That should be reason enough for the film to be selected for preservation (before time runs out!) and a Blu-ray release at the very minimum.

Cheers,
Derek

Stefan Huber

Feb 1, 2021, 9:00:56 PM2/1/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Many thanks for putting that list together, Steff.

It seems if something is happening after all: Warner will release "The Great Caruso" on BD in March.

Derek McGovern

Feb 1, 2021, 9:05:07 PM2/1/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Now there's a coincidence, Stefan! I'd just posted my plea for a Blu-ray of The Great Caruso, and---lo and behold---your post appeared a moment later announcing that my wish had been granted! :) This is wonderful news!

Steff Walzinger

Feb 2, 2021, 5:10:26 AM2/2/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

Derek McGovern

Feb 2, 2021, 5:28:44 AM2/2/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thank you, Steff! A 4K restoration of The Great Caruso? That's fantastic news!

Steff Walzinger

Feb 2, 2021, 5:49:50 AM2/2/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
A little birthday tribute from Spain.
Maybe someone here speaks Spanish and can enlighten us about the content?
The podcast has only a few seconds of Mario singing the "Donkey Serenade," at the beginning and the end, the rest, is narration about his life, I think (I only understand fragments).

Derek McGovern

Feb 2, 2021, 6:31:40 AM2/2/21
to The Mario Lanza Forum
Courtesy of Steff, here's an MP3 of the Spanish podcast tribute to Lanza mentioned in her post above.

I must say that The Donkey Serenade was a peculiar choice for a tribute. You'd think the Spanish hosts would have chosen something more representative and spectacular---Granada, for example---if they were going to play only a couple of snippets!
Centenario de Mario Lanza.mp3

Derek McGovern

Feb 2, 2021, 7:18:17 AM2/2/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I see that it's not currently possible (at least from Amazon) to preorder the Blu-ray of The Great Caruso; somehow it's already temporarily out of stock. If it really is at #1 or #2 in Musicals, as Amazon is alternately claiming, then there must have been a rush of preorders! (Or perhaps Amazon is teasing us.)

Just a couple of things I noticed about the blu-ray's specifications here: 1) It's apparently Region A (US, Canada, South Korea, Japan, etc) and is "untested" for Regions B (Europe, NZ, Australia, etc) and C (most of Asia), and 2) It's described as 2K---even though it clearly states "4K restoration" here. I'm still assuming it is 4K, though---and I see that's some excitement at this Warner Bros. forum about it being apparently taken from the original three Technicolour negatives.

Valeria P.

Feb 2, 2021, 8:42:16 AM2/2/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Derek, Steff, the Spanish program is full of mistakes (they say, for instance, that the first movie was 'The Great Caruso'), and mainly focus on Mario's weight problems. The last part is an imaginary discussion between Mario and the doctor at the Villa Giulia Hospital about the diet he was going to undergo over there. All in all, it is pretty disappointing and frankly pointless.
Here in Italy, only a local news program from Filignano mentioned Mario. Our national TV did not say anything. Me and other fans wrote to RAI, the State Broadcasting company, to remind them about Mario's anniversary. But nothing happened.
The problem here is that they all focus on that loser of Bocelli..... It is as if my people have forgotten how a real tenor should sound. Very sad indeed.

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 at 13:18, Derek McGovern <derek.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
I see that it's not currently possible (at least from Amazon) to preorder the Blu-ray of The Great Caruso; somehow it's already temporarily out of stock. If it really is at #1 or #2 in Musicals, as Amazon is alternately claiming, then there must have been a rush of preorders! (Or perhaps Amazon is teasing us.)

Just a couple of things I noticed about the blu-ray's specifications here: 1) It's apparently Region A (US, Canada, South Korea, Japan, etc) and is "untested" for Regions B (Europe, NZ, Australia, etc) and C (most of Asia), and 2) It's described as 2K---even though it clearly states "4K restoration" here. I'm still assuming it is 4K, though---and I see that's some excitement at this Warner Bros. forum about it being apparently taken from the original three Technicolour negatives.

--
To reply to this post, please go to https://groups.google.com/g/mariolanza
---

Valeria Pugiotto

Vincent Di Placido

Feb 2, 2021, 10:27:31 AM2/2/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
That’s fantastic!
4K restoration from original Technicolor negative!
Brilliant news!!!

Sent from my iPhone

On 2 Feb 2021, at 10:49, Steff Walzinger <Stefanie....@t-online.de> wrote:

<Auto Generated Inline Image 1>

--
To reply to this post, please go to https://groups.google.com/g/mariolanza
---
<Auto Generated Inline Image 1>

Derek McGovern

Feb 2, 2021, 6:42:21 PM2/2/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thanks for letting us know the content of that Spanish programme, Valeria. Yes, very disappointing indeed.

Irina Kuzmishina

Feb 3, 2021, 5:48:15 AM2/3/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

Hello to everybody and thank you for information about celebrations of Mario Lanza jubilee. On Russian TV a central federal channel "Culture" aired a1 hour biography documentary " Insurmountable Contradictions of Mario Lanza" in prime time. This old film is on YouTube  but only in Russian. My modest tribute to the centenary was posting a new clip "Be My Love" with pictures of numerous disc covers of this song on my YouTube channel.
среда, 3 февраля 2021 г. в 02:42:21 UTC+3, Derek McGovern:

Steff Walzinger

Feb 3, 2021, 4:34:46 PM2/3/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Here is the link to the documentary that Irina was mentioning below.
A little bit difficult to locate it, as the documentary can only be found if one knows the Cyrillic spelling for the documentary:

100 лет со дня рождения певца. «Неразрешимые противоречия Марио Ланца». Документальный фильм

Maybe I mix up something, but wasn't this originally an Italian documentary? I see there's Eddy Lovaglio, who wrote the biography about Lanza, "Una voce, un artista."

Steff

And the direct link to the Russian TV station

Steff Walzinger

Feb 3, 2021, 4:49:04 PM2/3/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
And here you can read about the 100th birthday celebrations at the hotel "San Giorgio" in Campobasso, Molise region. Campobasso is about 75 kilometres away from Filignano, the hometown of Mario Lanza's father Antonio Cocozzza.

"Musica e parole nel segno di Mario Lanza, lo spettacolo in diretta mondiale omaggia il grande tenore molisano:"

The concert can be watched on you-tube:

And here's a little Italian tribute from RAI TGR Molise:

Steff

Steff Walzinger

Feb 3, 2021, 5:49:05 PM2/3/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Wow, and here is a radio tribute "Mario Lanza tenor en su centenario" from Mexico!

An episode of "Viva la Opera" from Radio station opus 94, aired on 27 January 2021.

"Hoy en ¡Viva la Ópera! celebraremos el centenario de Mario Lanza. Un tenor famoso por su voz y su presencia en Hollywood. Mario Lanza fue un enamorado de México, nos visitó varias veces y grabó varias canciones mexicanas. Exploraremos arias y canciones conocidas y otras que son una rareza que sorprenderán por su grado de dificultad en un tenor que ha sido muy poco valorado porque sus críticos lo veían como un producto de la mercadotecnia del cine y no de los teatros operísticos."

Translation from google translate:
Today in ¡Viva la Ópera! we will celebrate the centenary of Mario Lanza. A tenor famous for his voice and his presence in Hollywood. Mario Lanza was in love with Mexico, he visited us several times and recorded several Mexican songs.
We will explore arias and well-known songs and others that are a rarity that will surprise by the degree of difficulty of him in a tenor that has been very little valued because his critics saw him as a product of the marketing of cinema and not of operatic theaters .

It says "part 1," so it looks like there's more to come, yet I cannot see any more episodes on the schedule.

The presenter speaks a very clear Spanish, and fairly slow for a Mexican, so even if you do not speak Spanish, you can understand quite a lot of what is said!
One of the featured arias is "O tu che in seno agli'angeli" from  Verdi's "La forza del destino!" Now that is quite an unusual choice! I am impressed!

Steff

Steff

Steff Walzinger

Feb 3, 2021, 6:00:14 PM2/3/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
And here's one more video from RAI TGR Molise  "Un Museo per Mario Lanza."

Molto interessante!!!

Steff

Derek McGovern

Feb 3, 2021, 9:21:52 PM2/3/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Steff: Thanks for discovering all these gems! Very gratifying to see and hear.

As well as RAI video about the museum, I enjoyed the video of assorted Lanza film clips that was also shown at the link above.

The Mexican programme included a surprisingly large number of recordings, and drawn from a variety of sources, including (I assume) some of the Damon Lanza Productions CDs. For example, they played the 1945 live radio broadcast of Recondita Armonia, which I was not expecting, plus excellent recordings such as Di Rigori Armato and the 1949 Che Gelida Manina. And, yes, the 1950 Force of Destiny recording! That was a most welcome rarity. The only duds among the many offerings included were Funiculi' Funicula' and the mannered and orchestrally inept Coke O Paradiso. Still, I'm not complaining in light of so many otherwise intelligent choices :)

kuzmishinairina

Feb 3, 2021, 9:55:03 PM2/3/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
     This documentary "Неразрешимые противоречия Марио Ланца"  was produced by late great bariton  Мuslim Magomaev around 2010yr (? )  and first uploaded on Youtube in 2011. It includes  fragments from Eddy Lovaglo's documentary "Mysteries and Scandals. Mario Lanza" Unfortunately this documentary is not found on YouTube now, perhaps it had been deleted. Only a short fragment of it (without Lovaglio) in Spanish is left.
      Magomaev  was a  big admirer of Lanza and also  wrote a biographical book  "The Great Lanza", the first full biography of the singer in Russian in 1993.  Bsides that he produced several cycles of programs about Lanza on TV and radio. Some of them are on YouTube and on his personal memorial site. He was  on friendly terms with Elissa Lanza and her husband,  not once met Terry Robinson and visited ML museums in Philadelphia and Filigniano. He also met other people who knew or admired Lanza, such as a collectioner Vincent de Fini from Cleveland. The videos of these meetings are on YouTube as well as videos of tribute concerts which  Magomaev had dedicated to Lanza.

Feb 3, 2021, 10:22:47 PM2/3/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
 This is the link to Russian TV channel "Culture" on YouTube  you've asked for:

Отправлено с устройства Galaxy

Feb 3, 2021, 10:51:51 PM2/3/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Irina: I'm familiar with Мuslim Magomaev (I like his circa 1965 recording of "Mamma"), and his singing and biography have been mentioned a number of times here over the years. I'm impressed that he devoted so much time to promoting Lanza's legacy.

Steff Walzinger

Feb 4, 2021, 3:32:01 AM2/4/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Eddy Lovaglio had nothing to do with the episode about Mario Lanza (No.120) from the "Mysteries and Scandals" series. This was an American production by E!Entertainment from 2000, produced by Alison Martino, daughter of singer Al Martino. It was hosted by A. J. Benza. Damon Lanza, B. Dolfi, Terry Robinson, Al Martino, singer Charles Gavoian and columnist James Bacon contributed. The documentary was based on sensationalism and focused too much on the Mafia story (Btw, they did not even get Damon Lanza's name right in the credits, they wrote "Damen" - well I hope they got at least the name of Benza's wardrobe label - Piatelli- right!!). The documentary appears on you-tube from time to time. Too much Hollywood gossip sensationalism, in my opinion.
Yes, there is a short excerpt on you-tube in Spanish:

Steff

Steff Walzinger

Feb 4, 2021, 4:00:01 AM2/4/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Derek,

A digital version of the biography can be seen here:

Now, we have to start learning Russian!!

Steff

kuzmishinairina

Feb 4, 2021, 5:22:54 AM2/4/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
   Sorry, perhaps my memory made a bad trick! I watched episode 120 many years ago, as well as the documentary  in which Eddy Lovaglio speaks about Lanza. Really, it was Alison Martino in "Mysteries  & Scandals", you are right and I was mistaken. Anyway, the biopic we are discussing was produced by Muslim Magimaev (and it's his voice commenting it), but he had included into it the episodes from documentaries of other authors, including Eddy Lovaglio. Magomaev's comments are very heartfelt and he expresses his grief that Mario's life was full of so many troubles and obstacles, that not once he had to begin everything anew. And he  shared the thoughts that Lanza's death was in some way connected with mafia. Though now we know that its reason was only  bad state of Lanza's health.

Отправлено с устройства Galaxy

kuzmishinairina

Feb 4, 2021, 5:23:50 AM2/4/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
   Unfortunately this book was published only in Russian.

Отправлено с устройства Galaxy

Feb 4, 2021, 5:31:20 AM2/4/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Irina, is it still possible to find that book? And if it is, where can I buy it?
My Russian is pretty basic, but I can read it. If I can read Mayakovsky, I could read this book too!
Valeria

Derek McGovern

Feb 4, 2021, 5:39:26 AM2/4/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thanks for the link, Steff. That's a very short biography!

Learning Russian will have to wait for me, I'm afraid :) I'm still struggling with Korean!

kuzmishinairina

Feb 4, 2021, 7:02:00 AM2/4/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I think so. But only second-hand ones. Here's a link.
Steff also gave a link to digital edition of this book

Отправлено с устройства Galaxy

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Mario Lanza, Tenor" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mariolanza/c6223d50-ad44-4500-a92e-8838a8ac0d49n%40googlegroups.com.

kuzmishinairina

Feb 4, 2021, 7:07:17 AM2/4/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com

The book really isn't very thick, onlyb110 pages.This is a PDF free version.

Отправлено с устройства Galaxy

Feb 4, 2021, 7:37:17 AM2/4/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Derek,

I really found the radio programme classy and very enjoyable.
Of course they mentioned their two Mexican flagships, Irma Gonzales and Sarita Montiel.
There was a snippet of an interview that soprano Irma Gonzales gave shortly before her death in 2008, where she spoke about her singing excerpts of "La Bohème" with Lanza at the Berkshires. She described Lanza as being "very correct, likeable, with a powerful and beautiful voice." ("precioso muchacho, muy correcto, simpático").

Incidentally, I've now also figure out when the second part of this programme will take place, as the radio host mentioned this almost at the end of the show. It is the 30th June 2021. So, there's something to mark in my diary.

Am I wrong, or didn't they include "The Loveliest Night of the Year." One would have expected this as it is based on "Sobre las olas" by the Mexican composer Juventino Rosas.

Steff
P.S.: Yes, let's skip starting to learn Russian for the moment. Though it is a nice language I think I might go with Spanish first - I feel inspired now after this Mexican programme, as the host had such a catching voice ... and wasn't so speedy!!
Viva la ópera! Hasta pronto!"

Derek McGovern

Feb 4, 2021, 8:27:06 AM2/4/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Steff: Actually, I thought the most notable musical omission from the Mexican programme was "Granada"---which, of course, was written by a Mexican! So they must be saving it for the second programme.

I must try to contact the host and producer, Erick Zermeño, as he really does deserve praise for what he's achieved here. Interestingly, it was his 2008 interview with Irma González that I quoted (and translated) from for both our website (the page in which opera singers' firsthand experiences with hearing or working with Lanza are listed) and on Mario's Wikipedia page!

Back in 2008, after reading Zermeño's interview with González in the Spanish-language Pro Ópera (I never knew at the time that there was a recording of it as well), I actually managed to obtain Ms. González's phone number. I was very keen to talk with her, but in the cruellest of coincidences, within a few hours of finally receiving her number, I learned that she had died earlier that same day! In fact, I wrote about it here at the time:

Who would have thought that just over 12 years later, González's interviewer would turn up with a programme exclusively dedicated to her singing partner?!

Steff Walzinger

Feb 4, 2021, 10:30:49 AM2/4/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I was wondering if there was any birthday celebration or tribute taking place in France.

The only thing I found was this:

In episode no.4 (of 5) of "Grands Anniversaires de 2021" on France Musique, they remembered Enrico Caruso (100th anniversary of death in August) with "Vesti la giubba" and Mario Lanza with "O sole mio," right at the beginning of the programme (Armando, for you, right after Mario, comes "Pippo" (the second centenarian) with Maria Callas in "Tosca," a recording from 1953 with Victor De Sabata conducting - now here we have another connection to Lanza!)

I know that Monsieur Azencot from the Opéra Club de Paris - Mario Lanza, is a member of this forum, so maybe he can enlighten us? Alors Monsieur, s'il vous plait, racontez-nous, est-ce qu'il y a quelque chose de nouveau à rapporter?

Steff

Valeria P.

Feb 4, 2021, 11:30:48 AM2/4/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Irina, thank you very much. I was able to find a copy through a Russian bookstore. Grazie!
Valeria

--
To reply to this post, please go to https://groups.google.com/g/mariolanza
---

Valeria Pugiotto

Steff Walzinger

Feb 4, 2021, 7:29:18 PM2/4/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
During the event at Campobasso they showed - almost at the end - a video of Mario Lanza singing the "Ave Maria" in "The Great Caruso."
A friend of mine just pointed out to me that the caption read: "Mario Lanza ne iI Grande Caruso con al fianco Pavarotti da bambino." (ML in "The Great Caruso" and beside him Pavarotti as a child.") - Ah no! This old story again which has long been rebutted!!
I see, the Campobasso people used a you-tube video of a Spanish woman, who explicitly stated on her video that it was NOT Pavarotti, so consequently, I'd like to think that they added the caption afterwards and also intentionally for their event. That's ridiculous and I do not see any sense in keep on spreading these false information. Once it is out there, it cannot be stopped anymore, right? Armando, I see that, not long ago, you commented on this fake on another place in order to set the record straight, but, as you can see, there are still some unteachables. What comes next?
I was about to leave a comment on you-tube, where the event can be watched, but wisely enough "Molise TV" have turned off the comments function.
Steff

Am Mittwoch, 3. Februar 2021 22:49:04 UTC+1 schrieb Steff Walzinger:
And here you can read about the 100th birthday celebrations at the hotel "San Giorgio" in Campobasso, Molise region. Campobasso is about 75 kilometres away from Filignano, the hometown of Mario Lanza's father Antonio Cocozzza.

"Musica e parole nel segno di Mario Lanza, lo spettacolo in diretta mondiale omaggia il grande tenore molisano:"

Armando Cesari

Feb 5, 2021, 1:22:05 AM2/5/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steff, I left a comment here:

I told them the Pavarotti story was pure fantasy but I doubt whether they will reply. There were numerous other errors. The best parts were the short film showing the Lanzas in Filignano and the contributions at the end which included Katia Ricciarelli.

--
To reply to this post, please go to https://groups.google.com/g/mariolanza
---

Derek McGovern

Feb 5, 2021, 3:43:51 AM2/5/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I would love to identify and confront the ignoramus who started this absurd rumour about Pavarotti singing with Lanza in the "Ave Maria" scene of The Great Caruso. It irritates me no end to see it endlessly regurgitated on YouTube and elsewhere (probably by the same types of people who believe that Trump won the 2020 election). Even the well-known classical music commentator Norman Lebrecht (mischievously?) posted about it on his popular blog slippedisc.com recently!

I've tried to educate people about this nonsense (and other equally annoying myths) at this page at mariolanzatenor.com, but it seems that disinformation rules supreme when it comes to Mario Lanza.

Steff Walzinger

Feb 5, 2021, 4:47:03 PM2/5/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
A little radio tribute on WAMU 88.5 (American University Radio) from the show "The Big Broadcast" on 24th January.

The Website of WAMU says: The Big Broadcast is WAMU's longest running program. The show features a collection of radio from the golden age, the '30s, '40s, and '50s, hosted by Tony - Award winning playwright, lyricist and director Murray Horwitz."

You should start with the introduction of the show, then skip "Your Truly, Johnny Dollar," and continue at minute 22:20. It features excerpts from "The Mario Lanza Show" from 5th August 1951 with "Cosi, cosa" and "Because."

Steff

ver...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2021, 6:24:42 PM2/5/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
The Youtube posts coupling Lanza's name with Pavarotti are clickbait ($$$$). They obviously see mileage by coupling the names and aren't concerned by the truth or otherwise. Others who repeat it may genuinely just have been sucked in. I think if the Trump era has demonstrated anything, it's that many people just believe what they want to believe without bothering to look for evidence, and others make up and spread stories because of some benefit they derive personally. To regard the false stories just as ignorance is probably a bit charitable!

Steff Walzinger

Feb 5, 2021, 7:03:06 PM2/5/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
And here's another tribute from Mexico:

From Radio Educación, TN En Vivo "Programa Especial: El tenor que conquistó el cine y el canto lírico" - Recordamos a Mario Lanza en el centenario de su natalicio."

Maestro José Arias, art expert and opera commentator on various radio programmes, speaks about Mario Lanza.

Derek McGovern

Feb 6, 2021, 1:37:54 AM2/6/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Perhaps I was being a bit charitable to the person who started the Lanza-Pavarotti story, Verna! But the number of gullible people who believe these ridiculous stories about Lanza never ceases to amaze---and frustrate---me (in equal measure).

Still, at least this particular story doesn't hurt his legacy. It's the people who seek to diminish his voice ("he needed a microphone," "had no vocal technique," "couldn't be heard beyond the second row," etc), musical intelligence ("always shouted," "couldn't learn a single operatic role"), and stamina ("had to make his recordings in pieces," "was unable to sustain a complete role on stage," etc) who anger me the most, followed by the motley crew of tabloid journalists, hanger-ons, and opportunists who promoted the myth that he was murdered by the Mafia.

Derek McGovern

Feb 6, 2021, 1:40:13 AM2/6/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
There were some decent musical choices on that latest Mexican tribute, Steff. The only questionable choice was the strained "With a Song in My Heart." Elsewhere, it was very nice hearing the (MGM!) Lord's Prayer, which sounded glorious, and a great idea to finish with the 1949 Che Gelida Manina.

Steff Walzinger

Feb 6, 2021, 6:00:45 AM2/6/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Armando,

It was so heartwarming to see and and hear Katia Ricciarelli's birthday message:
I understand she spoke of the "grande Mario Lanza," who, to her, was one of the truly greatest tenors of the world.

She said that it is an extraordinary occasion to honour this great singer. And she concluded with "I love you! Auguri (best wishes), Mario Lanza," and and then she repeated," Auguri Mario! - I simply say 'Mario' [not Mario Lanza] since, if he were still with us, I would embrace him for what he gave us!"

She appears to be a very down-to-earth person.

As a side note, she's playing in a very successful Italian TV-series (no, she's not playing an opera singer!) opposite Terence Hill, titled "Un passo dal cielo," which runs on RAI TV with settings in the Trentino/Alto-Adige region.

Hard to believe, she already turned 75 last 16th January! She looks younger - even without much make-up. I understand she has experienced quite some setbacks in her life and career.

She's a classy lady, and I think this was the first time I heard her speaking. She was so lovely as Desdemona in Franco Zeffirelli's movie "Otello" with Plácido Domingo, that's where I first learned about her - back in the mid. 1980s.

The "Otello" film was one of three films that has envoked my interest in opera. First, there was "The Great Caruso," (what else?!!) which I would watch so often with my Mom when I was a kid (and when German TV still aired such films!). Then, when I was a teenager, came Zeffirelli's "Carmen" movie with Migenes/Domingo/Raimondi, followed straight away by Zeffirelli's "Otello,"  an opera which has been one of my favourites ever since. I only later noticed how terribly they cut down the music in this movie to make it fit. Anyway, when thinking of all the Zeffirelli opera movies I imagine how many movies of this style Mario Lanza could have done had he been born later. Well, this might be a question to start a discussion on a separate google thread ...

Steff

Derek McGovern

Feb 6, 2021, 7:00:37 AM2/6/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Steff: Yes, those comments from the great Katia Ricciarelli are truly lovely. (Here's a link directly to her appearance for those who don't want to scroll through the 100-minute video).

She certainly comes across as a completely genuine person without any diva haughtiness whatsoever. And she has indeed aged very well!

Yes, she had her share of vocal problems, starting around her late 30s if I remember correctly. But, yes, she was a very affecting Desdemona in the Zeffirelli film of Otello (even though her Willow Song was cut---out of consideration to filmgoers' bladders, Zeffirelli said at the time!), and I like her very much as Mimi' on a 1979 recording of La Boheme with Carreras.

Cheers,
Derek

Steff Walzinger

Feb 6, 2021, 7:04:49 AM2/6/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Derek,
Just yesterday I came across an article written by a Viennese music critic and author on the occasion of Mario's birthday, which made me kind of angry, as I thought it did, in some parts, not really address flattering remarks to Mario. It already started with the heading which was "Der Kleine Caruso," - "Little Caruso," which I found very disrespectful and arrogant (this well-known looking-down attitude). The writer remarked things like: "Man darf nie vergessen, dass, da Lanza eigentlich immer nur in Mikrofone gesungen hat, das wirkliche Volumen und die räumliche Wirkung seines Gesangs nicht zu beurteilen sind" - "Let's not forget that, since Lanza virtually only used to sing into the microphone, the real volume and the effect/power of his voice at a concert venue [very free translation by me, as I am just struggling with a good translation]  cannot be judged." This remark prompted me to leave a comment on the website and I confronted the writer with opinions of such greats as Dame Joan Sutherland, Richard Bonynge and George London, who witnessed Mario's talents in person and did not have to rely on hearsay. Now, I also should have added that Mario sang in more than 140 concerts, but that had slipped my mind for a  moment.
Incidentally, many radio etc. tributes also mentioned the Hollywood Bowl concert, but often claimed that the Bel Canto Trio was singing that night, whereby it was only Frances Yeend and Mario. A forgivable little error, however. I was kind of relieved that - apart from a few tribute gaffes from people who jumped on the "sensationalism band wagon" -  we were spared from the Mafia story. Now, we yet have to hope that one day soon the ever hashing-over stories about Mario's eating and drinking habits will take a backseat in articles about and tributes to him, and that the focus on his vocal talents will dominate!
Steff

Derek McGovern

Feb 6, 2021, 7:22:35 AM2/6/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Steff: Perhaps you should share this message with that stuffy, misinformed critic! It was a response to me in 2002 from the well-known opera authority, writer and historian Jan Neckers:

No, I didn't hear Lanza live but 1. a friend of mine did when Lanza gave a concert at Oostende during his 1958 European tour. In my friend's
experience only Corelli surpassed the American tenor in sheer volume   2. During that same tour Dutch critic Leo Riemens (of the Kutsch-Riemens
Sängerlexicon) heard him. Riemens was an absolute Lanza-basher who hated every record the tenor made. After he heard him, Riemens didn't withdraw
one single word he ever wrote on Lanza's sense of style but he grudgingly admitted that the basic colour was very pleasing and that he was surprised
at the volume; a voice almost double the size of Björling's.

Steff Walzinger

Feb 6, 2021, 7:31:33 AM2/6/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
A few of you might have watched those two tributes, and I leave it up to you to judge them:

"Mario Lanza at 100" on Articulate:
"On this Articulate exclusive concert show celebrating Mario Lanza's centenary, tenor Stephen Costello reflects on the life and work of the beloved singer and Hollywood star."

"Because You'e Mine" concert of tenor Brian Cheney, 31st January 2021

"American tenor Bryan Cheney will join forces with  West End Composer/Lyricist/Producer duo Daniel Curtis and Laura Coyne to present “Because You’re Mine” on Sunday, January 31, 2021. The showcase will celebrate iconic tenor Mario Lanza’s 100th birthday and is a very special event for Cheney, who has always admired the great American tenor.“Ever since I discovered the great Mario Lanza in my early twenties I have been in awe of his gorgeous technique but, more importantly to me, his individuality,” Cheney told OperaWire. “A truly great singer, to me, is one that purely sounds like himself. In my studies with Jerry Hadley, part of my homework was to listen to the great tenors of the past. Caruso, Gigli, Bjorling, Corelli, and, of course, Lanza. Not only to understand the lineage of the Garcia technique but to embrace the fact that when these great singers sang with the same technical perspective they sounded completely different from one another. Jerry recorded a beautiful album, ‘Golden Days,’ to honor Lanza  and I feel that I am not only honoring Lanza but Hadley as well. I am thrilled and very proud to be a part of this lineage.” The concert is set to last one hour and will be broadcast on Cheney’s Youtube channel and official website. This is the latest in Cheney’s long-running online recital series, which started since the worldwide lockdown back in March 2020."

https://www.briancheneytenor.com/event/because-youre-mine-celebrating-mario-lanzas-100th-birthday/

Steff Walzinger

Feb 6, 2021, 7:48:35 AM2/6/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Derek,
That's very interesting, but I am afraid, I think this critic is and will be a hopeless case and each additional word/comment would be wasted energy on my part! I am never quite sure if it is clever to offer a platform to those people by commenting their "inputs," or rather not pay attention to such ignoramuses. However, there's another music critic who will not be pleased when he gets my reader's letter, smile.
Steff

Steff Walzinger

Feb 6, 2021, 10:10:15 AM2/6/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Here's a Spanish article by Fernando Fraga from "Scherzo" from 9 January 2021:
"Mario Lanza, cien años de un tenor cinematográfico"

I used Google translate to understand the content, and this caught my attention:
"El impacto de la película de Lanza fue inmenso, tanto en lo que se refiere a la difusión como -y sobre todo- a la recaudación, y la influencia que ejerció sobre determinados espectadores resultaría decisiva para el futuro de estos. Por ejemplo, José Carreras la vio de niño y se decantó por el oficio canoro al quedar deslumbrado por la voz de Lanza. Después, ya en plena actividad profesional, seguiría los pasos del americano rodando la vida de Gayarre, tomando a su vez el relevo de Alfredo Kraus.

Hubo más cantantes aparte de Carreras que se sometieron al influjo sonoro de Lanza potenciado por las suntuosas imágenes en technicolor. Giuseppe Giacomini era capaz de ver la película tres veces al día y, más cerca de nosotros, y posiblemente a través de algún recurrente pase televisivo, Vittorio Grigolo siguió los mismos pasos transitados por Carreras. Los tres cantantes, artísticamente hablando, se destacan por el entusiasmo con que tradujeron (o traducen) sus interpretaciones."

The impact of Lanza's film was immense [...] and the influence it had on certain spectators would be decisive for their future. For example, José Carreras watched it as a child and decided upon the singing profession, because he was enchanted by Lanza's voice. [...] There were more singers beside Carreras who were influenced by the sound of Lanza's  voice, enhanced by the opulent technicolor picture. Giuseppe Giacomini would watch the film three times a day and [...] Vittorio Grigolo followed the same steps taken by Carreras. The three singers, artistically speaking, stand out for the enthusiasm with which they perform."

Now, nothing new regarding Carreras, but I don't think I was aware about tenor Giuseppe Giacomini's enthusiasm for Lanza in "The Great Caruso."

Anyone?

Steff

Steff Walzinger

Feb 6, 2021, 10:52:11 AM2/6/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Another radio tribute from Spain, from the RTVE radio station, aired on 28 January 2021:
The programme is called "El ojo critico" and the episode was titled, "Botticelli, 'Nada es crucial y Mario Lanza"
The host Laura Barrachina speaks with Martín Llade, a journalist and music lover, about Lanza.

You can download the programme here:
The part about Lanza starts at about minute 33:45 and ends at about 41:00.
Right at the end Lladé and Barrachina are discussing briefly as to who could portray Mario in a biopic, and Barrachina's reply is: Russell Crowe!
Steff

Valeria P.

Steff Walzinger

Feb 6, 2021, 2:26:56 PM2/6/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Not explicitly tagged as a birthday tribute, but I regard it as such, as it was put on Facebook one day after Mario's big day:

An instrumental jazz version of "Be My Love" played by the WDR big band (WDR is a German radio and TV station):
"The 1950 Brodszky/Cahn tune "Be My Love" was originally written for
*Mario Lanza*
, for the movie "The Toast Of New Orleans"(for which it recieved an Acadamy Award nomination) and was a huge hit for Lanza, selling over two million records. This version is a truly whopping arrangement by the great Bill Holman, featuring
Billy T
est on piano,
Johan Hörlén
on alto sax, and Andy Haderer on trumpet. Recorded live at the WDR Funkhaus as a part of our recent "Big Band At The Movies" live stream, conducted by Jörg Achim Keller."

Steff Walzinger

Feb 6, 2021, 3:23:01 PM2/6/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Here's the page from the weekend edition (30/31January) of our local newspaper, the "Badische Zeitung."
Did anybody else spot an article about Mario in a newspaper? Freiburg, in the Southwest of Germany is not the biggest city in our country (230,000), so I wonder if major cities like Munich, Berlin or Hamburg, for example, printed a tribute. Steff

Armando Cesari

Feb 6, 2021, 7:24:56 PM2/6/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com

I interviewed Ricciarelli in 1993. She was giving a series of concerts in Australia and she came to the Italian Radio Station I was working for at the time.

We had quite a job getting her to agree to an interview. She informed us that she was being interviewed by the ABC and didn’t have time to come over to our station. She had been in Australia once before, in 1986 and perhaps had had a bad experience with the Italian media. Eventually, we managed to convince her to grant us an interview. She came to the station with her then-husband,  Pippo Baudo,  whom I did not care for at all, and at first, she was very guarded. She looked me up and down as if to say – what do you know about opera? She then told me that she could only grant me 10 minutes.

After I introduced her and gave a short description of her career we spoke for a while and then, during the first break while I played the Salice from Otello, she smiled and said, “You really know what you are talking about!” The ice was broken and the interview ended up lasting almost 40 minutes. At the end of it, she told me it was the best interview she had done in Australia. Off the air, I asked her about the 3 tenors and she said Carreras had a beautiful voice, Pavarotti a very easy and exciting top, but that Domingo was the most complete and greatest tenor she had sung with. I asked her about Lanza. She told me she had seen all his films (her favourite was The Great Caruso) that she loved both his voice and personality, his beautiful smile and great charisma.

When she found out I was from Venice (she is from Rovigo, about an hour from Venice) she started to speak in our Venetian dialect and then arranged for me to attend the concert she was giving the following night. She sang well, but although she was only 47 the voice was already past its peak and slightly wobbly in the upper register.

--
To reply to this post, please go to https://groups.google.com/g/mariolanza
---
Katia 3AK.jpg
W Katia 1993.jpg

Francine Maultz

Feb 6, 2021, 7:36:50 PM2/6/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Agreed.  But I know that Pavarotti, among other great singers, were inspired by Lanza.  Truly, Lanza's vocal beauty was beyond compare - South Philadelphia's pride and joy!

See:

Mario Lanza looked like a god, he sang like a god. ... His voice hypnotized a generation of singers, and inspired Placido Domingo, Luciano Pavarotti, Andrea Boccelli, Jose Carreras, and many others, to become singers, and was admired by the likes of Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, and Jussi Björling.May 5, 2019
Voice type: Tenor
Profession: Opera Singer

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 3:43 AM Derek McGovern <derek.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would love to identify and confront the ignoramus who started this absurd rumour about Pavarotti singing with Lanza in the "Ave Maria" scene of The Great Caruso. It irritates me no end to see it endlessly regurgitated on YouTube and elsewhere (probably by the same types of people who believe that Trump won the 2020 election). Even the well-known classical music commentator Norman Lebrecht (mischievously?) posted about it on his popular blog slippedisc.com recently!

I've tried to educate people about this nonsense (and other equally annoying myths) at this page at mariolanzatenor.com, but it seems that disinformation rules supreme when it comes to Mario Lanza.

--
To reply to this post, please go to https://groups.google.com/g/mariolanza
---

Derek McGovern

Feb 6, 2021, 9:55:30 PM2/6/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thanks for sharing that anecdote about Ricciarelli, Armando. (Great photos of the two of you together too!) I'm relieved to hear that she's sincere in her appreciation for Lanza.

It's interesting that she considered Domingo the greatest tenor whom she'd worked with.  Very fair-minded of her, considering that she had a long romantic relationship with Carreras when he was at his vocal peak.

On a gossipy note, I see that she had some very negative things to say about Baudo in this 2010 blog piece, in contrast with Carreras, whom she still adored decades after their break-up.

Armando Cesari

Feb 7, 2021, 12:40:18 AM2/7/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Ciao, Derek: There's no doubt that she loved Carreras very much. She was hoping to eventually marry him, but in the end he left her for another woman.
I found Baudo both unpleasant and a bore.

--
To reply to this post, please go to https://groups.google.com/g/mariolanza
---

Steff Walzinger

Feb 7, 2021, 6:06:42 AM2/7/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
It's long been overdue to mention these two publications, one from the U.S.A. the other from U.K.:

First, there's an article by Derek Mannering, besides Armando Cesari our second distinguished Mario Lanza biographer.
Derek wrote an article for the music USA magazine "Opera News," which was printed in its January issue.
The article is titled "Lanza at 100."

The second article can be found in the January/February issue of UK "OperaNow." It was written by Benjamin Ivry and is titled "Legendary Singers - Mario Lanza."

Happy reading in case you can catch the magazine! I managed to get a printed copy of the "Opera Now" here in one of our local German newspaper shops, but had to pay the excessively high price of Euro 16.90 for an issue which actually only costs 5.99 British Pounds (about Euro 6,80)!! But, of course, Mario is always worth such an expense!!!
Steff
P.S.: The blurred quality is intended to respect copyrights!

Steff Walzinger

Feb 7, 2021, 7:27:56 AM2/7/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Slowly but surely we have to be careful that our Spanish speaking Mario Lanza admirers do not outstrip the rest of the world with their birthday tributes, smile!

The Spanish music magazine "ÓA -Ópera Actual" has an article about Mario Lanza in its January issue.

The article from 1st January 2021 is by Aniol Costa-Pau (I understand a young man in his early 20s) and titled, "Mario Lanza, el tenor del cine - A 100 anos de su nacimiento."

Steff

Derek McGovern

Feb 7, 2021, 7:58:39 AM2/7/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
That young writer needs to become a little more accurate, Steff! He claims, for example, that Lanza made an impact with his performance as Alfredo in La Traviata at the New Orleans Opera :) If only!

Of course, Alfredo was the role he was scheduled to sing there in 1949, but by then (as Armando observes in his book) he was hopelessly distracted by Hollywood and never found time to learn the part.

Derek

Steff Walzinger

Feb 7, 2021, 8:49:45 AM2/7/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Be gracious, Derek!
This young guy can still be formed and taught!! He might improve! And to be honest, he's not alone with misdoing. During the past week while "hunting" all those tributes I did not find one tribute that was approximately 100% accurate. I think nowadays there's so much information and misinformation bustling about on the world wide web that, at times, people find it hard to assess as to what is correct and what is fake. Internet sometimes is a curse rather than a blessing with this overload of information. One good thing I experienced: Whenever I was not sure if a radio host or a writer of an article was correct, this immensely encouraged me to find out, and for me, this had kind of positive learning effect Sadly, I am far away of having the "encyclopedic brain" that you and Armando have! And screen-bound as I have been the past days, I fear that I even lost some more brain cells recently!
Steff

kuzmishinairina

Feb 7, 2021, 8:55:26 PM2/7/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
   Another strange thing in this article  is that George London is presented as "bajo"(bass) , while he was a baritone.

Отправлено с устройства Galaxy

That young writer needs to become a little more accurate, Steff! He claims, for example, that Lanza made an impact with his performance as Alfredo in La Traviata at the New Orleans Opera :) If only!

Of course, Alfredo was the role he was scheduled to sing there in 1949, but by then (as Armando observes in his book) he was hopelessly distracted by Hollywood and never found time to learn the part.

Derek

--
To reply to this message, please go to: https://groups.google.com/g/mariolanza
---

Derek McGovern

Feb 7, 2021, 9:41:27 PM2/7/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Actually, George London was neither a baritone nor a true bass; he was a bass-baritone

Steff Walzinger

Feb 8, 2021, 4:55:12 AM2/8/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Tributes are still coming in.

Today, 8th February, "The Telegraph" (UK) has an article about Mario Lanza by Iwan Hewett, classical music critic.
It is titled, "Super Mario: the operatic (and boozy) tragedy of the great Mario Lanza."

Steff Walzinger

Feb 8, 2021, 6:55:02 AM2/8/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Ciao Armando and Derek,
Thank you for sharing those lovely photos of you and Katia Ricciarelli with us.
I knew for long that she was involved in the Filignano Festival, but have always wondered how she came into the position of kind of ambassador there. As you mentioned, she's from the Veneto area, so who managed to take her on board in Filignano so many years ago? As for Pippo Baudo, I understand he was a very popular TV host in Italy, but not every "Pippo" is favoured, LOL.
Speaking of opera singers, I have to say that I was somewhat surprised that our great ones did not pay much attention to Mario's birthday. Plácido Domingo did not offer much, as far as I can see, although his own jubilee on 21st January 2021 (his 80th birthday) would have been the perfect opportunity to give Mario a well deserved boost. I only spotted one interview in Spanish which he gave for "El Confidencial" on the occasion of his birthday, and in which, being asked what tenor he admired most, he answered: "It is not a secret that Caruso is the benchmark for all tenors. I grew up watching the films of Mario Lanza, whose centenary will be at the end of this month, and admiring Miguel Fleta, Galliano Masini and, of course, the great Giuseppe di Stefano, with whom I had the great fortune to sing in Mexico as "The Incredible" in 'Andrea Chénier' and 'Remendado" in 'Carmen' (now here's "Pippo" again!) ("P. ¿A qué tenor ha admirado secretamente más? R. No es un secreto que Caruso es el punto de referencia para todos los tenores. Crecí viendo las películas de Mario Lanza, cuyo centenario cae a finales de este mes, y admirando a Miguel Fleta, Galliano Masini y, por supuesto, al gran Giuseppe di Stefano, con quien tuve la gran fortuna de cantar con él en México el 'Incredible' de Andrea Chénier y el 'Remendado' en Carmen.")
Nothing from Joé Carreras either. Roberto Alagna, who had so much nice things to say about Lanza in his biography did not pay attention at all, nor did Rolando Villazón, who once praised Mario in the BBC programme, "What Makes a Great Tenor." My favourite nowaday's tenor, Piotr Beczala, did not mention anything, but then again, I never heard him talking about Mario being an inspiration to him. Lo and behold, in his biography, "Piotr Beczala - In die Welt hinaus - Ein Opernleben in drei Akten" - which was published last year, at least one page mentions Mario's, yet I still try to figure out what Beczala meant to say with his - positive- statement (I might investigate and let you know at a later time!).  As for our German flagship, Jonas Kaufmann,  - well, one does not really expect any inspiring remark about Lanza - the "Christa Ludwig circle," as I call it, does not bother for him at all.To go to bat at least for Joseph Calleja in the squad of "tenoral" Lanza admirers, I know that he was scheduled for two events in Germany ("Nostalgia - A Tribute for Mario Lanza"), one in Cologne on 21st May 2021, the other one in Dortmund on 30th May 2021. The concert in Cologne was already cancelled due to Corona, and I think the latter one will suffer the same fate, as there seems no prospect right now that the situation will turn to the better in due time. A pity, but we have to see Calleja's "good will" with the hope that the concerts will take place later that year. Calleja congratulated Mario on his Facebook site with an excerpt of his promotional video by Decca Classics for his Lanza tribute album, "Be My Love," which was released in 2013. Now, here we go, that's all from "our tenors."

Incidentally, speaking of tribute concerts, it should not go unmentioned - and sorry to my dear Irish friends (a special "hello" to a dear friend,  who for days has been supporting me with all this "tribute stuff") for coming up with this only now, that the "Loveliest Night of the Year" concert, which was re-scheduled to this year (again Corona was responsible for the cancellation last Fall), was re-scheduled again by Pat Egan Entertainment to 2022 (as were ALL shows of Pat Egan for 2021). The concert has been a great success in Dublin (and other Irish cities) ever since 2009.
Steff

Steff Walzinger

Feb 8, 2021, 7:29:02 AM2/8/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
And also my valued "Berlin Mario Lanza correspondent," Alexander Kulpok, did not miss the occasion of sending birthday greetings to Mario's centenary on his Facebook site. I had the pleasure of doing an e-mail interview with this very busy journalist almost one decade ago, in which he told about his time meeting Mario at the set of "For the First Time," when Mario and Johanna von Koczian filmed the hospital scene at the "Palais Mendelssohn" ("Christa"/Johanna regaining her hearing after the surgery)

Translation:

31.January: 100th BIRTHDAY OF MARIO LANZA                                                                                                                  Till this day, millions of music friends and several experts think of him as the greatest singer of all times. After Caruso and long before Elvis and the Beatles, he enraptured his public up to hysterical storms of enthusiasm. On 31st January will be the 100th birthday of this once idolized Mario Lanza. He filmed his last film, „Serenade einer großen Liebe“ [For the First Time] in Berlin – opposite a very young Johanna von Koczian at the St. Michaels-Heim in Grunewald. During the filming I had a cordial meeting with the master of Belcanto, who died all too young in 1959.

Steff Walzinger

Feb 8, 2021, 7:58:45 AM2/8/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
And here's a contribution from the Netherlands from 31th January 2021:
"Mario Lanza - the new Caruso" by Guillaume Maijeur from "Opera Gazet"

"The entire opera world knows that Placido Domingo just celebrated his eightieth birthday, but hardly any attention is paid to Mario Lanza, whose birth on January 31, 1921 (twenty years before Domingo’s) already hinted that he would develop a beautiful tenor voice.

Opera lovers often turn their noses up at Mario Lanza who, after a fine start to his career with roles such as Fenton in Die lustigen Weiber von Windsor, Pinkerton in Madama Butterfly and several concert tours, at the age of barely twenty-six said a final goodbye to the opera stage in order to sell his soul to the studio bosses of Hollywood. You have to see something like this in its time, of course. Hollywood was the American dream par excellence in 1947 and the sunny tenor of Mario Lanza came just in time to take over the helm of the aging Nelson Eddy & Jeanette MacDonald team. Singers, by the way, are still undiminished opportunists. How else do you explain that a successful tenor like Jonas Kaufmann, to name but one of the hundreds, unashamedly prostitutes himself in accordance with the senseless demands of modern opera directors, the current rulers of the opera world, and their wankerkind productions.  Mario Lanza, born Alfred Arnold Cocozza, was the son of Tony Cocozza and Maria Lanza, children of Italian emigrants who had settled in Philadelphia. His singing talent became apparent at a very early age, and he was barely 16 when he began to build his professional career. After performing at the Hollywood Bowl, he was able to secure a contract from Louis B. Mayer (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer). Mario was readied for his debut in That Midnight Kiss (1949) with Kathryn Grayson, a soprano who also initially preferred opera to film, but like Mario later changed her preference. It was a great success and they became a beloved film couple. They toured together and their popularity was such that they starred in another film together: The Toast of New Orleans (1950). The real success came for Mario Lanza in 1951 with The Great Caruso. However, not everyone was satisfied with his portrayal of the legendary tenor. The film barely had anything in common with the historical reality and in terms of voice Lanza, unlike popular belief, was not Caruso, he lacked the dark timbre and the unequalled legato.After that it was all downhill. Mario was a heavy drinker, undisciplined and would not tolerate criticism, even if it was justified. For The Student Prince only his voice was hired, while the role was played by Edmund Purdom. The film was not a success, but the LP with the beautiful songs by Sigmund Romberg was. In 1957 he turned his back on Hollywood and moved with his family to Italy. He gave his first live concert in six years at the Royal Albert Hall in London and the audience was pleasantly surprised to hear a tenor there who sounded exactly as they had heard him in the cinema. Mario Lanza didn’t need a microphone at the Royal Albert Hall; he had a real operatic voice. He auditioned at the Scala of Milan and was immediately offered a two-year contract that would begin with Cavaradossi in Tosca. He also signed an agreement with the Opera of Rome to open the 1960/61 season with Canio in Pagliacci.Alas, it was all too late. Mario’s health had been undermined, the toll of years of debauched life in Hollywood. He had heart problems, way too high blood pressure and clogged veins. This became fatal to him. He died of an embolism in Rome on October 7, 1959, just 38 years old. Praise from the cultural world also came too late. The soprano Maria Callas said after his death, “What I regret most is that I did not have the opportunity to sing with the greatest tenor I ever heard.” Placido Domingo, Luciano Pavarotti and José Carreras all admired Mario Lanza. In 1994, Carreras even paid homage to Lanza through a concert tour in which he unequivocally confessed: 'That I am an opera singer is due to Mario Lanza.'"

Steff Walzinger

Feb 8, 2021, 8:58:33 AM2/8/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Just an addition to my post about the article in "the Telegraph."

Here a kind of "sneak peek" (for those who want to read the full article, you can go to the website of "The Telegraph" and have access via a free trial!

”It’s not surprising that a character of that kind would shy away from the hard graft of being a proper operatic tenor, when the movies and concert tours offered such bountiful rewards. And maybe we shouldn’t be sorry for that. Rather than regretting the might-have-beens of those operatic performances, which might not have been so great, let’s enjoy what Lanza actually left us: a handful of films that are full of vocal fireworks and period charm, and more than 200 recordings. My favourites among them are not the operatic numbers, impressive though they often are, but the popular song albums, particularly a 1958 recording of Neapolitan folk songs that’s entitled Mario!, and is (for me) Lanza’s masterpiece.

Steff Walzinger

Feb 8, 2021, 9:30:23 AM2/8/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Derek,
Running off the rack for the moment, as this thread actually is about the birthday tributes to Mario, but the following thought just came to my mind: Of course, you remember when, the other day, we talked here about the Molise event and the continued claim of some people that the boy singing the "Ave Maria" with Mario in "The Great Caruso" was little Pavarotti. I see there are a lot of articles on the web from psychology experts that deal with the phenomenon of the "continued influence effect" which is also called "belief echoes:" "There is consensus that once you've been exposed to misinformation it is very, very difficult to dislodge from your brain. Corrections often fail because the misinformation, even when explained in the context of debunk, can later be recalled as a fact."
Now, we are aware of all those fake stories in regard to Mario (Mario meeting Elvis, Mario and the Mafia), and even notice, again and again, that misinformation does not only circulate, once it is out there, but is sometimes corrected by another misinformation. Well, the concept works - "Quod erat demonstrandum," I'd say! Another thing that we've surely experienced, especially the past days: People only read what they want to read, everything else is wiped away, and I don't know if this "I don't care attitude" is based on disinterest or just simple laziness. Getting philosophical myself now, smile... "Strange things happen" - and not only on a summer night!!
Cheers! Steff

Steff Walzinger

Feb 8, 2021, 4:45:40 PM2/8/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Another Article:

"Mario Lanza - 100th Birthday," by Neil Kurtzman on "Medicine and Opera" (21st January 2021)

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, ‘It might have been’. John Greenleaf Whittier

January 31, 2021 is the 100th anniversary of the birth Alfredo Arnold Cocozza known to posterity as Mario Lanza; Lanza was his mother’s maiden name. A native of Philadelphia, he was the son of Italian immigrants who exposed him to opera at an early age. He was well known locally by the time he was 16. Serge Koussevitzky, the conductor of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, sponsored his attendance at the Berkshire Music Center where he briefly studied voice with Boris Goldovsky and Leonard Bernstein; the latter only three years Lanza’s senior.

He sang only a few performances as Fenton in Otto Nicolai’s The Merry Wives of Windsor, before entering the Army in 1942. He was assigned to the Special Services branch of the Air Corp where he participated in a number of musical productions. Following his discharge he appeared in several concerts and radio broadcasts. He studied with Enrico Rosati for 15 months. He then toured North America giving 86 concert performances as part of The Bel Canto Trio – the other two singers were Francis Yeend and George London.

After the conclusion of this itinerary, he appeared two times as Pinkerton in Madama Butterfly in New Orleans – April 1948. These were his last performances in a staged opera.

Lanza had appeared in a concert in the Hollywood Bowl the previous year. There he had the good fortune or misfortune, depending on how you view his subsequent career, to attract the attention of Louis B Mayer the head of MGM. Mayer was an opera lover and he signed Lanza to a seven year contract.

In 1949 his first movie That Midnight Kiss opposite Kathryn Grayson was released. He made numerous recordings under the RCA Red Seal label that sold millions of copies; they’re still available today. He had achieved fame, fortune, and misery. He was making films when he should have been singing at the Met and its like.

Most operatic tenors are short, fat, and bald – ie, mesomorphs. Franco Corelli was a notable exception. You can work around the short stature and buy hair. Lanza’s head in his later movies looks like a black bear cub had taken residence on his skull. It was the weight problem that was most difficult to handle. He was the leading man in his movies; leading men are supposed to be slim. He had to go on crash and dangerous diets to keep his weight at least under partial control. In some of his movies you can see two Lanzas 60 pounds different.

Oscar Wilde quipped that “One would have to have a heart of stone to read the death of little Nell without dissolving into tears…of laughter.” He was referring to the character in Dickens The Old Curiosity Shop. One feels the same sentiment watching Lanza’s movies. I had a professor of music in college who said he always asked for a seat behind a post whenever he went to the Met for a Wagner opera. There were no posts in the old Met, but there were seats with partially obstructed views. Some things are better heard than seen.

With Lanza all that matters is the voice. If you watch one of his pictures, fast forward through the talking and just listen to him sing. Better yet forget about the movies and listen to his records. Lanza had a rich tenor that verged close to a spinto. He sang with great feeling and was able to realize the emotional content of the songs and arias he performed. He spoke fluent Italian and instinctively knew where to emphasize and shade what he sang. His high notes had squillo and he could go up to a high D. A prisoner of his fame, he likely avoided the opera house out of fear that he would be held to an impossible standard. I have little doubt that he would have risen to the top of opera had he taken the path he bypassed.

Lanza with Richard Tucker at the latter’s Royal Opera House debut – 1958

1921 was also the birth year of Corelli and Giuseppe Di Stefano. Lanza should have matched their accomplishments. He ought to have modeled his career after Richard Tucker’s. Tucker stayed close to the Met limiting his appearances elsewhere to a manageable number. He chose his roles carefully and handled his voice and career with the utmost discretion and delicacy. Had Lanza done the same, we likely would have had two great American operatic tenors instead of just the one – Tucker. In opera nobody really cares if a tenor is fat. Lanza could have eaten to his heart’s content and detriment. Also, Tucker didn’t become the great spinto tenor he was until he was about 40. Lanza’s best vocal years were erased by his premature death.

He was plagued by the ill effects of non-standard weight loss regimens, phlebitis, overeating, alcohol abuse, and wild spending that left him in debt to the IRS. His death at age 38 still is suspicious. He had a wife and four children. His spouse was devastated by his death and died five months after he did from a drug overdose. His story is sad enough to be a verismo opera.

But we do have his recordings that are still in wide circulation and which demonstrate the huge talent that went astray. I’ve picked a baker’s dozen which give a good portrait of this unique voice.

Be my love was Lanza’s first million selling record. Granada by the Mexican composer Augustin Lara has been recorded by just about any singer with access to a microphone and studio, but never with more panache than by Lanza even if his Spanish is tinged with a bit of Italian.

He was particularly effective singing the Neapolitan songs that have endured longer than any other popular songs. His work in the genre is exceeded only by that of Giuseppe Di Stefano who was the master of these songs.

‘A vucchella is by Paolo Tosti set to words by Gabriele D’Annunzio. The poet was not from Naples but he wrote the words in the Neapolitan dialect. It’s about a woman with a small mouth that looks like a rose, but is a bit faded. It sounds better in the dialect. Lanza gives a gentle and sensitive reading of the song achieving a wonderful effect.

Core ‘ngrato is perhaps the most passionate of all Neapolitan songs. The singer describes the despair that Catari’s rejection of his ardor has caused in him. He’s so desperate that he’s sought succor from a priest. The cleric advised letting go. I don’t think the nameless emotional wreck can do it.

Everyone know O sole mio. Even Elvis Presley sang it – to new English lyrics. The singer likens the beauty of his lover’s face to that of the sun.

But it is in Italian opera that Lanza is heard to best effect. Alas, he never recorded a complete opera, only arias and an occasional duet. He was alleged to be planning to both record a complete opera and to return to the stage, plans that were dashed by his sudden death. I wonder if he would ever have really done so, imprisoned as he was by fame and bad habits.

Lanza’s voice was attune with the music of Verdi, Puccini, and his lesser contemporaries. Nevertheless, I’ll start with a French aria, by a German, sung in Italian – O Paradiso from Meyerbeer’s last opera L’Africaine. This recording is made with a piano accompaniment – its from one of his movies. The voice is in spectacular condition.

Celeste Aida is sung by every tenor with even the faintest claim to being a spinto. Lanza follows the near universal practice of belting out the final high notes.

Next two Puccini arias. Che gelida manina is from the first act of La Bohème. Nessun dorma, the last of Puccini’s tenor arias is from Act 3 of Turandot. The second of these is a video (below) taken from the movie Serenade. The singing is great even if the lip synching isn’t. The Bohème aria is given a full throated and passionate rendition.

Vesti la giubba is the most familiar number from the only opera by Leoncavallo that’s made it into the standard repertory. Testa adorata is from Leoncavallo’s La Bohème. The opera was overwhelmed by Puccini’s version, but the aria is frequently sung in recitals.

Addio a la madre is from the other half of the Cav and Pag pairing. Finally, the Improvviso from Giordano’s Andrea Chenier. All these Italian arias are delivered with beauty of tone and passion.

Lanza’s voice and temperament were such that he should have been one of the last century’s top 10 tenors. His seduction by the glitz of the movies and his inability to resist deprived opera goers of a truly great voice. Lanza’s vocal technique was so well grounded that he should have lasted as long as did Richard Tucker. He then could have succumbed to a heart attack in his 60s still in fine vocal condition. But we do have the recordings."

The article is linked with a dropbox, that has the recordings, which the writer is referring to here, in mp3 format. To listen to them, please follow the link to the writer's website above!

ver...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2021, 11:22:33 PM2/8/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thank you Steff Walzinger for the Neil Kurzman article which is a reasonably fair assessment. Always alert for calumnies directed at Mario however, I found the mention of "buying hair" and wearing a "black bear cub on his scalp" rather surprising as it seems a brand new accusation. I have the impression that Mario didn't necessarily keep up the hair straightening he had done regularly in Hollywood, with the same frequency while living in Europe and that's why there are a few "bushy" photos. Hair loss, I doubt it! I have however reached such a level of scepticism about writers' motives, conscious and unconscious, that I checked online images and confirmed: yes, Mr Kurzman is thin on top.

Derek McGovern

Feb 8, 2021, 11:54:58 PM2/8/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thanks for the Kurtzman article, Steff. (I remember his blog posts from my days as a member of the now-defunct granditenori site.) I thought it was excellent, and have just posted my own response there. I also made some additional listening suggestions (for example, recommending the commercial version of the Improvviso over the rougher Coke version that Kurtzman uploaded). Overall, though, his musical choices were very good.

In my comments, I thought of responding to his rather gratuitous criticism of Lanza's hairstyle---a comment that really only applies to Serenade (and possibly Seven Hills of Rome). I was also going to say something about his criticism of Mario's lipsynching on Nessun Dorma---an unfair criticism, as what we hear in this creative video from Vince is not the film's actual soundtrack, but rather an outtake of the aria.  But I decided against it, as there are so many much more important observations in this article. It was also refreshing to read a musical person's acknowledgement that Lanza possessed such a "well grounded" vocal technique!

Steff Walzinger

Feb 10, 2021, 5:46:04 AM2/10/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Earlier than expected, here's part 2 of the Mexican Opus 94 radio programme "Mario Lanza - tenor en su centenario" from the series "Viva la opéra!," aired in 4 February 2021.

For some reason I was wrong with the date of airing (have to brush my Spanish, LOL), as I understood it would only be aired in June.
Anyway, please enjoy! I have yet to listen to the whole thing myself, but I see the finale of the programme is dedicated to the Latin "themes" (of course concluding with "Granada"). I did not spot "Loveliest Night of the Year - Sobra las olas," which was announced on the website. But maybe I was rushing too much when browsing hastily through the show.
Nice surprises are the "Otello" duet with Licia Albanese from "Serenade" and the final "Niun me tema" from "For the First Time"  (Derek, I wonder if they took the latter one from your Sepia CD "Greatest Operatic Recordings?"). And "Ch'ella mi creda," the private recording from our very young Mario (apart from the Improvviso" one of my favourite opera arias, and I regret that we do not have any commercial studio version of it!)

Incidentally, Derek, I like the "Otello" intro of the programme with "Evviva il leon." I suppose this is played at every episode of the "Viva la ópera!" series, but in Mario's case it is all the more fitting  - the triumphal success of Mario! And apart from that, just coincidental, of course, it reminds of Mario's times at MGM (lion Leo!!).
Steff

Derek McGovern

Feb 11, 2021, 1:26:48 AM2/11/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Steff: Thanks for posting the link to the second part of the Mexican Opus 94 tribute to Lanza.

The musical selections were again very interesting, starting with the RCA "Celeste Aida", the complete "Dio ti giocondi" (as you noted, this was the version with Albanese), plus the Otello Monologue, and then the Otello Death Scene. (No, they didn't use our Sepia CDs for any of these; in fact, the not particularly well-reproduced Otello Death Scene came straight from the film soundtrack, with even the applause included!)

Next we heard the RCA Cielo e Mar and then Ch'ella mi creda---an odd choice, considering how inexperienced Mario then was, but a recording that I found more enjoyable than usual. (The underrated opera it comes from---La fanciulla del West---is one of my favourites, and I've always maintained that the tenor role of Dick Johnson would have been perfect for Mario, vocally and dramatically.)

Then we heard the 1955 outtake of "Nessun dorma." Curiously, this is the second tribute I've heard this week to feature this relatively unknown version.

The programme then finished with three songs: the Coke version of Toselli's Serenade, Besame Mucho (which, oddly, was also featured on the first programme; this time a superior source was used, though), and then the 1949 Granada.

Overall, a very enjoyable selection!

Steff Walzinger

Feb 11, 2021, 2:18:48 PM2/11/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Derek,
I think it would have been better to play "The Loveliest Night of the Year," as it is based on "Sobra las olas" by the Mexican composer Juventino Rosas, instead of the Toselli Serenade which I found a little bit out of place, at least at this point of the programme (and maybe because I don't like it very much!!).
However, I got the impression, maybe you too, that the Mexicans are very proud that Mario came to Mexico to film parts of "Serenade" there, and the radio host mentioned Mario's love for Mexico very often!
All in all a very fine tribute!

Incidentally, as mentioned they played the "Otello" finale from the movie "For the First Time" - nothing that we would hear on an official Sony release for copyright reason. There was another radio programme, by the way that used the finale from "Aida" - Oh terra addio" with Lanza/Kirsten/Thebom, surely to demonstrate that Mario sang with top-class singers of the Met.

Hasta Pronto!
Steff

Steff Walzinger

Feb 11, 2021, 2:54:32 PM2/11/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Derek,
I would like to add one additional remark to this Mexican programme. In part one we heard Mario sing "Ay, ay, ay," and this prompted me to listen to Fritz Wunderlich's recording of the same song (in German) which is "Schlaf ein, mein blond Engelein." A most lovely rendition.
He and Mario were so different - Wunderlich, the lyric tenor, Mario, the spinto, but each of them so brilliant in their interpretations. But what they both had in common was this incredibly perfect diction that, combined with the singing, came with such an ease.

Fritz Wunderlich "Schlaf ein mein blond Engelein"

Mario's version, "Aye, aye, aye."

Fritz Wunderlich's rendition really sounds like a sweet lulaby, while Mario's interpretation is rather "temperamental" in its approach (it would be hard for a baby to fall asleep, LOL). Amazing to see the effects that arrangements, especially the orchestration, can have on a song!

And on a last note, when they played the "Otello" scene with Licia Albanese, I was, once more taken aback, how dark Mario's voice was at that time - especially in the "Dio mi potevi."

Steff

Steff Walzinger

Feb 17, 2021, 6:14:53 AM2/17/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

I think I forgot to mention a tribute that Derek Mannering did as part of the Mather Telephone Topics online service. His one hour programme, „A Centennial Remembrance of Mario Lanza,“ took place as a Zoom meeting on 21 January 2021(„Zoom“ had been a complete new medium to me before that date). Derek accompanied his lively talk about Mario with video-clips from Mario’s films. Very enjoyable! Maybe more to come? One hour just went by too fast.

Steff Walzinger

Mar 28, 2021, 4:44:43 PM3/28/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Here's an interesting article in today's online issue of the "Times of Malta:"

"The year of the four tenors" by Richard England.

About Mario Lanza, England says:
"Mario Lanza, although not having an opera stage career, still possessed one of the most exciting and exhilarating tenor voices of all time. His impeccable voice was, however, contrasted by an undisciplined and turbulent lifestyle, which led to his early demise at the age of 38. Yet, in the years which followed his death, Lanza’s star rose to legendary status.
The recorded legacy, apart from some occasional off sessions, display not only the sensuality, warmth and power of the voice, but also his innate ability to communicate with his listeners. To this day record sales continue to soar, and he remains perhaps the most popular tenor of all time.
While during his lifetime so called cognoscenti dismissed Lanza, Lawrence Tibbet’s 1950 prophesy “in 50 years’ time people will recognise Lanza for the great artist he is” has now been fulfilled, and many tenors later expressed their admiration including such top stars as Domingo Carreras, Alagna, Shicof, La Scola, Joseph Calleja and many others.
For my Lanza favourite recordings, I would immediately opt for the 1952 Student Prince album which demonstrates polished,refined and tasteful singing delivered in remarkably controlled yet still aureate tones. It remains to my mind the best mid-career Lanza album.
For my second choice I would go for one of the tenor’s last recording sessions, an album of Neapolitan songs entitled Mario, recorded in Rome only 10 months before his death. Under the baton of Franco Ferrara, who commented that Lanza had a “Caruso-like voice that combined steel with warmth”, and with arrangements by a young Ennio Morricone, the album reveals the tenor in succulent smouldering voice, now darkened, yet still gifted with a burnished golden tone. The songs are all delivered with a passionate magnetism and intelligent musicality.
Lanza’s voice remains one of the most beautiful, and also perhaps one of the most distinguishable of all tenor voices. Post his death, praise for Lanza kept pouring in. Pavarotti referred to Lanza’s instrument as “fantastic”, and the great Ameri­can tenor Richard Tucker declared that “Lanza had the voice of the century”.

Steff

Steff Walzinger

Mar 28, 2021, 4:48:20 PM3/28/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Correction: The complete title of the article is "1921 - The year of the four tenors."

It is loading more messages.