Mario's 100th Birthday - 31 January 2021 - Tributes, Events, Celebrations.

Steff Walzinger

Sep 9, 2020, 8:42:17 AM9/9/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

Hi to All,

I know it is still some months until we can start celebrating Mario’s 100th birthday (and Enrico Caruso’s 100th anniversary of death), however, I wanted to create this new thread to post about the tributes that might come up in the future, no matter at what time, in what way or format.

I dearly hope that next year the Corona pandemic will not obstruct any celebrations that are planned by our Mario Lanza fan clubs.

Our own Vince di Placido has already done some „pre-celebration“ – as I call it - with all his wonderful you-tube videos, which he did with much love and devotion for the fans, and I am sure he’s not running out of inspiration and is already working on some more projects to be realized the coming months.

There are already a few things at the horizon right now.

I see that Joseph Calleja will do two concerts (maybe more to come?) next year, which include Mario Lanza: First, there’s one in Cologne on 21 May 2021, titled „Nostalgissimo,“ with Rumon Gamba conducting. I understand this concert will be showing excerpts from various film classics (in black and white) and featuring the closing scene from the movie „Arrivederci Roma.“ Then there will be a concert at the „Konzerthaus Dortmund“ on 30 May 2021 titled „Nostalgia: A Tribute to Mario Lanza: Opernarias und Filmusik.“ Not sure if this actually is the same show as the one in Cologne.

Filignano, Italy, the birthplace of Mario’s father Antonio, will celebrate Mario’s centenary next August.

Dublin, Ireland, will have „The Loveliest Night of the Year“ tribute  („62th anniversary remembrance concert“) returning to the National Concert Hall on 6 October 2021. This year‘s concert unfortunately fell victim to Corona. I hope that other venues in Ireland, such as Cork or Limerick, will get their share, too, as it used to be the past years.

Marc Vincent, Australian tenor, who released a Mario Lanza tribute album three years ago (2017), will give a Mario Lanza tribute concert at the Orange Civic Theatre, Australia, on 6 February 2021, and another one (re-scheduled) will take place on 10 July 2021 at Bicentennial Hall in Queanbeyan, Australia.

Of course, all those planned events are still hanging in the balance, since nobody knows how things will develop in Pandemic times.

However, I have some surprising news (which Corona could not stop!) and which I will post about soon, something that came totally unexpected and might be especially interesting for our German speaking fans. So please stay tuned!

Steff

Stefan Huber

Sep 13, 2020, 4:21:20 AM9/13/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Many thanks for the info, Steff. I think it's not too early because these things take of course time to prepare.

I'm still hoping that Sony will finally pull things together and release a box set for the 100TH Anniversary (like they've done with so many other artists during the last decade). Actually, they should not only do one, but three: one with all the studio recordings (albums plus bonus disks with singles and rarities), another one with all the transcriptions and a third one with all extant movie recordings. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Steff Walzinger

Sep 13, 2020, 9:09:49 AM9/13/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Servus Stefan,
I, too, hope that we will see some release(s) in the course of next year celebrating Mario's 100th birthday (my idea would be a release featuring both, Enrico Caruso and Mario Lanza, on the occasion of their 100th birthday/anniversary ("zwei Fliegen mit einer Klappe"!!).
I could imagine that Derek Mannering, who has worked with RCA/BMG/Sony Entertainment for some CD projects in the past, tries to "mobilize" the company to make something possible. Same for Derek McGovern & friends here. However, there's the financial aspect that might be obstructive. Big companies like Sony Entertainment are often focusing on the demand and desired sales figures of a release, and we have to face it, Mario Lanza, as much as we fans wish it was different, is no big money maker nowadays (this might be different with other artists from the past like, for example, Sinatra or Elvis). And Sepia Records, a relatively small company (compared to Sony), might be affected by Corona and the financial shortcoming caused and going along with the pandemic (and the political situation there), so they might not produce as much new releases right now, as they would like to do in "normal times."
However, we are Lanza fans, so we never give up hope, right?!!
Steff

Steff Walzinger

Oct 4, 2020, 11:02:06 AM10/4/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

Hi to All,

Well, a few weeks ago I promised a surprise, so here it is:

In September, a beautiful music calendar for 2021 was published in Germany. There’s a page for each week of the year featuring one artist respectively. I am delighted to tell you, that Mario Lanza is represented on the page in his birthday-week.                                                                                                                                                                                     The publisher is „edition momente,“ based in Hamburg, Germany, and Zurich, Switzerland. The calendar, designed in very high quality (with spiral binding and an impressive size of 32.5 x 24 cm) and with great attention to detail, has a very appealing layout, fresh and modern appearance in tasteful colours, with stunning photos of various musicians. The subject of the 2021 calendar is „Sehnsuchtsorte“ (places of longing). Various artists are speaking of real existing places as well as ficitional ones, which, for them, had a special meaning in their lives and careers: „These can be real and imaginary places, happy, disappointing and lost ones, as well as places that are beyond our reach,“ as the publishers describe it on their website.

I am proud to say that mariolanzatenor.com (Derek McGovern and myself) was involved in this project, in that we did participate to Mario’s page. Last summer, Derek McGovern was approached with an enquiry from Miss Vitali, one of the publishers. They had chosen Mario for one of the calendar pages to commemorate his 100th birthday on 31 January 2021, and asked for permission to use a quote of Mario that they had spotted on our website.

As this was a German project Derek McGovern asked me to „take over negotiations,“ giving me free rein in whatever decision I would make.

The quote „in demand“ was not one of the usual – standard- ones of Mario, that we all are so much familiar with (like „I sing each word as though it were my last on earth“), but taken from his 1959 RAI radio interview, which he did only shortly before he passed away. Some of you might remember that, last year, I translated this interview from Italian into English, since some people, one poster from this forum in particular, wished so much to understand what Mario and his family were talking about.

Well, Ms. Vitali and her co-publisher, Ms. Elisabeth Raabe, must have come across this interview during their researches and decided to use the following quote (they translated it into German), where Mario speaks about his teacher Enrico Rosati: „I went to live with Maestro Rosati. And truly this was the most beautiful period of my live. It is strange that I tell you this. Maybe strange for you because how can it be that a person, as singer, can say that the studies with the maestro were the most wonderful time of his life instead of, let’s say, being on stage in front of an audience? No, it’s the truth, I can say, that for me, it was the happiest experience. 13 months, and after that he kissed me on both cheeks and said: „Mario, go and never come back to this studio as a student, but only as a friend.“

As a photo they chose the publicity photo of Mario in tuxedo from „That Midnight Kiss,“ the scene in which he sings he aria „Celeste Aida.“ In my opinion the photo is a good match to above quote, as it is the image of a very young looking Mario, who indeed looks like a music student in his beginnings rather than an accomplished opera singer.

I think this calendar truly is a masterpiece, and Mario is in very good company of musicians such as Enrico Caruso, Nellie Melba, Giuseppe di Stefano (another centenarian), Claudio Abbado, Mariss Jansons, Alban Berg, Igor Strawinsky, Montserrat Caballé, Jessye Norman, Rosa Ponselle, to mention only a few of the featured -all non living- artists. It celebrates the greats on their birth- or deathday. At the end of the calendar you can find short biographies of each artist, which might be an inspiration and incentive to read more about them. Our website mariolanzatenor.com is mentioned under the acknowledgments, which, I hope, might draw attention to our website and, of course, to Mario Lanza, in order to hopfully attract some new fans.

This calendar is done highly professional, as are all the other calendars that this small but excellent publisher is offering.

For those who are interested in ordering the calendar, go to the website of the publisher which is edition-momente.com. Costs are Euro 22 (33.50 Swiss Francs respectively), which, I think, is a very fair price, given all the work behind it, the extensive researches, elaboration, costs for copyright and high class (climate friendly) printing. The calendar is also available in bookstores in Germany, Switzerland and Austria.

Apart from Ms. Raabe, who is responsible for the texts, and Ms. Vitali who looks for the pictures and secures the rights of reproduction, I would like to mention Max Bartholl who is responsible for design,  and, last but not least, Dr. Melanie Unseld, professor at the University of Music and Performing Arts in Vienna, who composed the short biographies. I understand the four have been an experienced team for years.

Follow the link, and you will get a preview of the calendar, showing some of the pages, one of them Mario's (the calendar pages change automatically!):

https://www.edition-momente.com/kalender/musik-kalender-2021.html

I would like to extend warm thanks to the publishers for including Mario Lanza in this calendar. Given Mario’s special, at times controversally regarded status in the musical world and the fact that his extraordinary talent, sadly, still is not always acknowleged and appreciated the way it should be, this is a wonderful, heartwarming gift to Mario Lanza, his family and Mario’s steadfast fanbase. Mario deserves this recognition so very much, since he was so much more than just a Hollywood actor with a singing voice! And thank you dear „edition momente“ for having us participate!

What an honour and unexpected surprise - especially in those challenging times!

https://www.edition-momente.com/wir-ueber-uns.html

Steff

Mario's calendar page

Cover of the music calendar 2021

Derek McGovern

Oct 4, 2020, 7:56:14 PM10/4/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thanks for a terrific post, Steff.

All I can add is that, naturally, I was delighted that Lanza was included in this very classy calendar alongside such august musical personalities, and how fortuitous it was that you were able to be involved in this project. Just think: if it hadn't been for your going to so much trouble to transcribe and translate the September 1959 RAI interview (which I hope Norma, who was so anxious to understand what was being said, actually read in the end!), Lanza might not have ended up in this calendar.

I also think it's great that the quotation used is not one with which many people will be familiar.

Ms. Vitale and Ms. Raabe have certainly done Mario Lanza proud with this calendar, and I wish them great success with sales.

Cheers,
Derek

Vincent Di Placido

Oct 5, 2020, 2:43:39 PM10/5/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com
This is fantastic news & such a great product, it looks classy. Well done Steff & Derek.
Steff, I actually had a sequence planned for my Rosati film that included that RAI audio & I think I am going to restore it & upload it as another cut because it is such a beautiful piece from Mario about Rosati, that I should never have cut. I used the “Etude” interview on its own instead.
I will definitely be ordering one of those calendars.
Vince.

Sent from my iPhone

Emilio iodice

Oct 5, 2020, 2:52:14 PM10/5/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this new souvenir which is another way to remember Mario.  I listened again to his RAI interview and his Italian was quite good and, as often was the case, he spoke joyously and obviously with a smile.

Emilio

Emilio Iodice

http://www.iodicebooks.com/

“I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”
Etienne de Grellet, Quaker Missionary

"You can't win today's games with yesterday's home runs."

“You can never defeat a person who never gives up.”
George Herman "Babe" Ruth, American Baseball player.

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars and change the world." Harriet Tubman

Vincent Di Placido

Oct 5, 2020, 7:18:11 PM10/5/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Here is the alternate edit of the Rosati film that uses the RAI 1959 interview.

Armando

Oct 6, 2020, 5:40:40 PM10/6/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

Wednesday, October, 7, 1959, a preview screening of Mario Lanza latest film “For the First Time” at the Metro Cinema, Melbourne.

I sat enthralled watching my idol and thinking how impressive his singing was compared to his previous film “Seven Hills of Rome.” I couldn’t wait to hear him in person – a tour of Australia had been announced. The following morning came the shattering news-Mario Lanza was dead! My world came crumbling down.

61 years later I am eternally grateful to Mario Lanza for having enriched my life with the gift of his magnificent voice.

Vincent Di Placido

Oct 7, 2020, 3:07:44 AM10/7/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Remembering Mario on the 7th of October with a few moments of Mario magic. ❤️

Sent from my iPhone

THOMPSON

Oct 7, 2020, 6:56:52 AM10/7/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com

Thank you, Vince. It is 10 to 7 EasternTime. It was about this time when I was awakened and was told of a radio news flash that Mario had died. 61 years later I have a chill of that moment.

All the best and stay safe,

Jim Thompson

Derek McGovern

Oct 7, 2020, 11:24:16 AM10/7/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Many thanks for your latest gem, Vince! It was the perfect way to enjoy a Mario memorial evening.

Vincent Di Placido

Oct 7, 2020, 12:45:33 PM10/7/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thanks Derek!
Here is something I have been working on...

Derek McGovern

Jan 30, 2021, 10:52:54 PM1/30/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Today marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of Mario Lanza. I'm going to celebrate this momentous occasion by revelling in the many video masterpieces that Vince Di Placido has created over the last few months, starting with his latest:

And to my musical hero, who changed my life in immeasurable ways: Happy Birthday, Mario!

Steff Walzinger

Jan 31, 2021, 11:30:57 AM1/31/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

Victoria Bigelow

Jan 31, 2021, 11:53:36 AM1/31/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Love this! Thank you! Happy Birthday, Mario!

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 30, 2021, at 10:53 PM, Derek McGovern <derek.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

Today marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of Mario Lanza. I'm going to celebrate this momentous occasion by revelling in the many video masterpieces that Vince Di Placido has created over the last few months, starting with his latest:

And to my musical hero, who changed my life in immeasurable ways: Happy Birthday, Mario!

Emilio iodice

Jan 31, 2021, 12:09:53 PM1/31/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.  Viva Mario and all his fans.

Emilio

Emilio Iodice

Wall Street Journal Number One Best Selling Author including the new International Best Seller, The Commander in Chief: The Qualities Needed of Leaders of Freedom Loving Nations, Lessons from American Presidential History

http://www.iodicebooks.com/

“I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”

Etienne de Grellet, Quaker Missionary

"You can't win today's games with yesterday's home runs."

“You can never defeat a person who never gives up.”

George Herman "Babe" Ruth, American Baseball player.

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars and change the world." Harriet Tubman

"And you shall know the truth and the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Steff Walzinger

Jan 31, 2021, 5:30:38 PM1/31/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com

Hello to All!

Well, here’s a first résumé of the long expected „Day of Days,“ some tributes for Mario’s 100th Birthday from Germany and Austria.

I was delighted to see a few radio tributes, which will be especially interesting for our German speaking Lanza friends. The tributes were more than unexpected and to me a big surprise.

I am not sure how long they will be available on the respective websites.

The Austrian ORF radio station already did a nice one hour tribute on 26th January, „Tenorstar abseits der Bühne,“ elaborated by Christoph Wagner - Trenkwitz. Our Austrian friends might be familiar with his name, as he is one of the commentators of the yearly Vienna Opera Ball, which is always broadcast live on TV. A very nice and enjoyable tribute despite some minor errors. Although the programme started with Mario’s signature song „Be My Love,“ the musical pieces that were chosen focused on opera - the last track being the Otello duet from „Serenade,“ which Wagner-Trenkwitz said was one of the most impressive of Mario’s recordings.

https://oe1.orf.at/programm/20210126/625411/Tenorstar-abseits-der-Buehne?fbclid=IwAR2HyeKiW8n_HJh1-bjN6T9riXe9xhhIjN0eWaH3_OqN4sWgozYZQ1UcN28

I understand there also was an Austrian programme with music broadcast on 29th January, „Zum 100er von Mario Lanza“ by Michael Gmasz. Sadly, I could not figure out if there is a way to re-listen to it as a podcast. Maybe someone from Austria can help and give some more information? I would love to hear it.

https://radioklassik.at/zum-100er-von-mario-lanza/?fbclid=IwAR0Imr_34GAUf8cW3waDxuL4J0AOk_qhTU2-_Cwxwb4JQHDCw33BFsO4Irc

Then we had a little 4 minute tribute on RBB radio (Berlin) by Katharina Willhelm, „Erinnerung an Mario Lanza zum 100.Geburtstag.“ Although kept short, I thought it was very nicely done, and I was surprised that they even managed to play (as an audio) a few seconds of the Christopher Programme and the 2017 „The Best of Everything“ documentary with comments by Derek Mannering and Russell Watson.

https://www.rbb-online.de/rbbkultur/suche/#searchform_q__mario,,20lanza___start__0___fromSearchbox

The BR Klassik Radio station (Bavaria) will have Mario’s 100th as topic of the coming week, so the next five days, every day at 12:05 o’clock CET, Mario will be featured at the „Mittagsmusik.“ Apart from that there’s also a narration, „Zwischen Oper und Hollywood" by Markus Vanhoever.

https://www.br-klassik.de/programm/sendungen-a-z/mittagsmusik/mario-lanza-100-geburtstag-thema-der-woche-100.html

https://www.br-klassik.de/aktuell/mario-lanza-tenor-usa-hollywood-geburtstag-100-jahre-portraet-100.html

BR also has an 8 minute podcast, which can be downloaded, „Mario Lanza zum 100.Geburtstag“ by Susanne Felix, originally aired on 30 January.

https://www.br.de/mediathek/podcast/zoom-musikgeschichte-und-was-sonst-geschah/mario-lanza-zum-100-geburtstag/1816937?fbclid=IwAR1sp1eOOvBEWwifBAxqx5B6K1PpthFrEjOEdHCYsVWlvOaP5fIQQU2dnkE

And last but not least, something from Deutschlandfunk, „Mario Lanza – Opernpopstar Hollywoods und der Schallplatte.“  Here we have mention of Armando Cesari and his book!

https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/vor-100-jahren-geboren-mario-lanza-opern-popstar-hollywoods.871.de.html?dram%3Aarticle_id=491593&fbclid=IwAR2iedoXxfS5B2vwZNob2qdugMmtClmld8z-OJm_1c6_BizrNyMECqVnb-c

So, all in all, I am quite happy about my today’s „yield.“

Our daily local newspaper here, the „Badische Zeitung“ (Southwest Germany) even had an article about Mario Lanza in its weekend issue. I have to say, that I will have to pick a bone with the writer, as he made two mistakes, which could easily have been avoided: He wrote that Lanza was born in New York and that he died in 1957! Ah well!

No matter how correct and complete the narrations are – nobody is perfect - it is encouriging to see that Mario Lanza is not forgotten in Germany and Austria. None of the tributes was offending in any way, although some, of course, mentioned Mario’s problems.

Happy listening! VIVA Mario!

Steff

I am exhausted after listening to all the tributes! Maybe I should have avoided the glass of red wine to cheer Mario!!

Stefan Huber

Jan 31, 2021, 6:37:20 PM1/31/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I had hoped for some more media coverage on this occasion. Unfortunately, reactions to this very special event have been rather reserved thus far.

There has been a tribute broadcast on Austria's public radio earlier this week:

https://oe1.orf.at/programm/20210126/625411/Tenorstar-abseits-der-Buehne

Maybe arte will join the club at a later time and will show at least one of his movies. After all, it has now been twenty years since "The Great Caruso" and "The Toast Of New Orleans" have been on German television. Airings of "Serenade" and "The Student Prince" date back to the early 1990s.

Francine Maultz

Feb 1, 2021, 12:20:52 PM2/1/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone:

Thank you for including me in this marvelous group!  Years ago, I studied voice at Settlement Music School in Philadelphia which housed the Mario Lanza Institute founded by a friend of Lanza.  I recently found out that in 2018 the Institute changed locations.  Here is the information.

Perhaps our members might care to learn more about it?

Kind regards,
Francine Holly Maultz

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 5:30 PM Steff Walzinger <Stefanie....@t-online.de> wrote:

[...]

Vincent Di Placido

Feb 1, 2021, 1:46:07 PM2/1/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
We had a lovely day celebrating all things Mario, we watched a few YouTube offerings, listened to some choice Mario recordings & watched The Great Caruso as a family.
Oh! How charming and charismatic Mario was, my wife Aoife remarked as we watched the movie on this and how warm he was.
I have to say that ending, pure MGM Hollywood though it may be gets me every time, the collapsing on stage after pulling out all the stops to finish the performance and then his friends laying the wreath with "Because" swelling on the soundtrack, it choked me up yet again (maybe more than ever actually).
I have to say I was so disappointed with Warners & Sony, absolutely nothing done for Mario's centenary it seems.
It's wonderful to see the efforts in Germany & Austria, Steff. Mario was always very popular there.

Lou Abada

Derek McGovern

Feb 1, 2021, 9:00:17 PM2/1/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
It's lovely to read all the recent posts on this thread. Steff: Thanks for that exhaustive list of tributes! I'm impressed that Germany, in particular, has been so active in commemorating Mario's centenary.

Francine: Welcome aboard! How interesting that you studied singing at the Settlement Music School in Philadelphia---and thanks for the article link.

Stefan: It's nice to see you posting again. I know that you wrote about the Austrian tribute before Steff actually posted about it, but because your post went to the moderation queue first, it was delayed by some hours. This is because you posted under a different address than the one you joined with, so perhaps you might consider rejoining with your new address?

Vince: I know you weren't the only member of our forum who watched The Great Caruso on Sunday :) Yes, it is an adorable film, with Mario's charm and warmth on full display, and a very important one too---in terms of the number of lives it changed for the better. That should be reason enough for the film to be selected for preservation (before time runs out!) and a Blu-ray release at the very minimum.

Cheers,
Derek

Stefan Huber

Feb 1, 2021, 9:00:56 PM2/1/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Many thanks for putting that list together, Steff.

It seems if something is happening after all: Warner will release "The Great Caruso" on BD in March.

Derek McGovern

Feb 1, 2021, 9:05:07 PM2/1/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Now there's a coincidence, Stefan! I'd just posted my plea for a Blu-ray of The Great Caruso, and---lo and behold---your post appeared a moment later announcing that my wish had been granted! :) This is wonderful news!

Steff Walzinger

Feb 2, 2021, 5:10:26 AM2/2/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

Derek McGovern

Feb 2, 2021, 5:28:44 AM2/2/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thank you, Steff! A 4K restoration of The Great Caruso? That's fantastic news!

Steff Walzinger

Feb 2, 2021, 5:49:50 AM2/2/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
A little birthday tribute from Spain.
Maybe someone here speaks Spanish and can enlighten us about the content?
The podcast has only a few seconds of Mario singing the "Donkey Serenade," at the beginning and the end, the rest, is narration about his life, I think (I only understand fragments).

Derek McGovern

Feb 2, 2021, 6:31:40 AM2/2/21
to The Mario Lanza Forum
Courtesy of Steff, here's an MP3 of the Spanish podcast tribute to Lanza mentioned in her post above.

I must say that The Donkey Serenade was a peculiar choice for a tribute. You'd think the Spanish hosts would have chosen something more representative and spectacular---Granada, for example---if they were going to play only a couple of snippets!
Centenario de Mario Lanza.mp3

Derek McGovern

Feb 2, 2021, 7:18:17 AM2/2/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I see that it's not currently possible (at least from Amazon) to preorder the Blu-ray of The Great Caruso; somehow it's already temporarily out of stock. If it really is at #1 or #2 in Musicals, as Amazon is alternately claiming, then there must have been a rush of preorders! (Or perhaps Amazon is teasing us.)

Just a couple of things I noticed about the blu-ray's specifications here: 1) It's apparently Region A (US, Canada, South Korea, Japan, etc) and is "untested" for Regions B (Europe, NZ, Australia, etc) and C (most of Asia), and 2) It's described as 2K---even though it clearly states "4K restoration" here. I'm still assuming it is 4K, though---and I see that's some excitement at this Warner Bros. forum about it being apparently taken from the original three Technicolour negatives.

Valeria P.

Feb 2, 2021, 8:42:16 AM2/2/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Derek, Steff, the Spanish program is full of mistakes (they say, for instance, that the first movie was 'The Great Caruso'), and mainly focus on Mario's weight problems. The last part is an imaginary discussion between Mario and the doctor at the Villa Giulia Hospital about the diet he was going to undergo over there. All in all, it is pretty disappointing and frankly pointless.
Here in Italy, only a local news program from Filignano mentioned Mario. Our national TV did not say anything. Me and other fans wrote to RAI, the State Broadcasting company, to remind them about Mario's anniversary. But nothing happened.
The problem here is that they all focus on that loser of Bocelli..... It is as if my people have forgotten how a real tenor should sound. Very sad indeed.

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 at 13:18, Derek McGovern <derek.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
I see that it's not currently possible (at least from Amazon) to preorder the Blu-ray of The Great Caruso; somehow it's already temporarily out of stock. If it really is at #1 or #2 in Musicals, as Amazon is alternately claiming, then there must have been a rush of preorders! (Or perhaps Amazon is teasing us.)

Just a couple of things I noticed about the blu-ray's specifications here: 1) It's apparently Region A (US, Canada, South Korea, Japan, etc) and is "untested" for Regions B (Europe, NZ, Australia, etc) and C (most of Asia), and 2) It's described as 2K---even though it clearly states "4K restoration" here. I'm still assuming it is 4K, though---and I see that's some excitement at this Warner Bros. forum about it being apparently taken from the original three Technicolour negatives.

--
To reply to this post, please go to https://groups.google.com/g/mariolanza
---

Valeria Pugiotto

Vincent Di Placido

Feb 2, 2021, 10:27:31 AM2/2/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
That’s fantastic!
4K restoration from original Technicolor negative!
Brilliant news!!!

Sent from my iPhone

On 2 Feb 2021, at 10:49, Steff Walzinger <Stefanie....@t-online.de> wrote:

<Auto Generated Inline Image 1>

--
To reply to this post, please go to https://groups.google.com/g/mariolanza
---
<Auto Generated Inline Image 1>

Derek McGovern

Feb 2, 2021, 6:42:21 PM2/2/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thanks for letting us know the content of that Spanish programme, Valeria. Yes, very disappointing indeed.

Irina Kuzmishina

Feb 3, 2021, 5:48:15 AM2/3/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

Hello to everybody and thank you for information about celebrations of Mario Lanza jubilee. On Russian TV a central federal channel "Culture" aired a1 hour biography documentary " Insurmountable Contradictions of Mario Lanza" in prime time. This old film is on YouTube  but only in Russian. My modest tribute to the centenary was posting a new clip "Be My Love" with pictures of numerous disc covers of this song on my YouTube channel.
среда, 3 февраля 2021 г. в 02:42:21 UTC+3, Derek McGovern:

Steff Walzinger

Feb 3, 2021, 4:34:46 PM2/3/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Here is the link to the documentary that Irina was mentioning below.
A little bit difficult to locate it, as the documentary can only be found if one knows the Cyrillic spelling for the documentary:

100 лет со дня рождения певца. «Неразрешимые противоречия Марио Ланца». Документальный фильм

Maybe I mix up something, but wasn't this originally an Italian documentary? I see there's Eddy Lovaglio, who wrote the biography about Lanza, "Una voce, un artista."

Steff

And the direct link to the Russian TV station

Steff Walzinger

Feb 3, 2021, 4:49:04 PM2/3/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
And here you can read about the 100th birthday celebrations at the hotel "San Giorgio" in Campobasso, Molise region. Campobasso is about 75 kilometres away from Filignano, the hometown of Mario Lanza's father Antonio Cocozzza.

"Musica e parole nel segno di Mario Lanza, lo spettacolo in diretta mondiale omaggia il grande tenore molisano:"

The concert can be watched on you-tube:

And here's a little Italian tribute from RAI TGR Molise:

Steff

Steff Walzinger

Feb 3, 2021, 5:49:05 PM2/3/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Wow, and here is a radio tribute "Mario Lanza tenor en su centenario" from Mexico!

An episode of "Viva la Opera" from Radio station opus 94, aired on 27 January 2021.

"Hoy en ¡Viva la Ópera! celebraremos el centenario de Mario Lanza. Un tenor famoso por su voz y su presencia en Hollywood. Mario Lanza fue un enamorado de México, nos visitó varias veces y grabó varias canciones mexicanas. Exploraremos arias y canciones conocidas y otras que son una rareza que sorprenderán por su grado de dificultad en un tenor que ha sido muy poco valorado porque sus críticos lo veían como un producto de la mercadotecnia del cine y no de los teatros operísticos."

Translation from google translate:
Today in ¡Viva la Ópera! we will celebrate the centenary of Mario Lanza. A tenor famous for his voice and his presence in Hollywood. Mario Lanza was in love with Mexico, he visited us several times and recorded several Mexican songs.
We will explore arias and well-known songs and others that are a rarity that will surprise by the degree of difficulty of him in a tenor that has been very little valued because his critics saw him as a product of the marketing of cinema and not of operatic theaters .

It says "part 1," so it looks like there's more to come, yet I cannot see any more episodes on the schedule.

The presenter speaks a very clear Spanish, and fairly slow for a Mexican, so even if you do not speak Spanish, you can understand quite a lot of what is said!
One of the featured arias is "O tu che in seno agli'angeli" from  Verdi's "La forza del destino!" Now that is quite an unusual choice! I am impressed!

Steff

Steff

Steff Walzinger

Feb 3, 2021, 6:00:14 PM2/3/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
And here's one more video from RAI TGR Molise  "Un Museo per Mario Lanza."

Molto interessante!!!

Steff

Derek McGovern

Feb 3, 2021, 9:21:52 PM2/3/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Steff: Thanks for discovering all these gems! Very gratifying to see and hear.

As well as RAI video about the museum, I enjoyed the video of assorted Lanza film clips that was also shown at the link above.

The Mexican programme included a surprisingly large number of recordings, and drawn from a variety of sources, including (I assume) some of the Damon Lanza Productions CDs. For example, they played the 1945 live radio broadcast of Recondita Armonia, which I was not expecting, plus excellent recordings such as Di Rigori Armato and the 1949 Che Gelida Manina. And, yes, the 1950 Force of Destiny recording! That was a most welcome rarity. The only duds among the many offerings included were Funiculi' Funicula' and the mannered and orchestrally inept Coke O Paradiso. Still, I'm not complaining in light of so many otherwise intelligent choices :)

kuzmishinairina

Feb 3, 2021, 9:55:03 PM2/3/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
     This documentary "Неразрешимые противоречия Марио Ланца"  was produced by late great bariton  Мuslim Magomaev around 2010yr (? )  and first uploaded on Youtube in 2011. It includes  fragments from Eddy Lovaglo's documentary "Mysteries and Scandals. Mario Lanza" Unfortunately this documentary is not found on YouTube now, perhaps it had been deleted. Only a short fragment of it (without Lovaglio) in Spanish is left.
      Magomaev  was a  big admirer of Lanza and also  wrote a biographical book  "The Great Lanza", the first full biography of the singer in Russian in 1993.  Bsides that he produced several cycles of programs about Lanza on TV and radio. Some of them are on YouTube and on his personal memorial site. He was  on friendly terms with Elissa Lanza and her husband,  not once met Terry Robinson and visited ML museums in Philadelphia and Filigniano. He also met other people who knew or admired Lanza, such as a collectioner Vincent de Fini from Cleveland. The videos of these meetings are on YouTube as well as videos of tribute concerts which  Magomaev had dedicated to Lanza.

Feb 3, 2021, 10:22:47 PM2/3/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
 This is the link to Russian TV channel "Culture" on YouTube  you've asked for:

Отправлено с устройства Galaxy

Feb 3, 2021, 10:51:51 PM2/3/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Irina: I'm familiar with Мuslim Magomaev (I like his circa 1965 recording of "Mamma"), and his singing and biography have been mentioned a number of times here over the years. I'm impressed that he devoted so much time to promoting Lanza's legacy.

Steff Walzinger

Feb 4, 2021, 3:32:01 AM2/4/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Eddy Lovaglio had nothing to do with the episode about Mario Lanza (No.120) from the "Mysteries and Scandals" series. This was an American production by E!Entertainment from 2000, produced by Alison Martino, daughter of singer Al Martino. It was hosted by A. J. Benza. Damon Lanza, B. Dolfi, Terry Robinson, Al Martino, singer Charles Gavoian and columnist James Bacon contributed. The documentary was based on sensationalism and focused too much on the Mafia story (Btw, they did not even get Damon Lanza's name right in the credits, they wrote "Damen" - well I hope they got at least the name of Benza's wardrobe label - Piatelli- right!!). The documentary appears on you-tube from time to time. Too much Hollywood gossip sensationalism, in my opinion.
Yes, there is a short excerpt on you-tube in Spanish:

Steff

Steff Walzinger

Feb 4, 2021, 4:00:01 AM2/4/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Derek,

A digital version of the biography can be seen here:

Now, we have to start learning Russian!!

Steff

kuzmishinairina

Feb 4, 2021, 5:22:54 AM2/4/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
   Sorry, perhaps my memory made a bad trick! I watched episode 120 many years ago, as well as the documentary  in which Eddy Lovaglio speaks about Lanza. Really, it was Alison Martino in "Mysteries  & Scandals", you are right and I was mistaken. Anyway, the biopic we are discussing was produced by Muslim Magimaev (and it's his voice commenting it), but he had included into it the episodes from documentaries of other authors, including Eddy Lovaglio. Magomaev's comments are very heartfelt and he expresses his grief that Mario's life was full of so many troubles and obstacles, that not once he had to begin everything anew. And he  shared the thoughts that Lanza's death was in some way connected with mafia. Though now we know that its reason was only  bad state of Lanza's health.

Отправлено с устройства Galaxy

kuzmishinairina

Feb 4, 2021, 5:23:50 AM2/4/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
   Unfortunately this book was published only in Russian.

Отправлено с устройства Galaxy

Feb 4, 2021, 5:31:20 AM2/4/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Irina, is it still possible to find that book? And if it is, where can I buy it?
My Russian is pretty basic, but I can read it. If I can read Mayakovsky, I could read this book too!
Valeria

Derek McGovern

Feb 4, 2021, 5:39:26 AM2/4/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thanks for the link, Steff. That's a very short biography!

Learning Russian will have to wait for me, I'm afraid :) I'm still struggling with Korean!

kuzmishinairina

Feb 4, 2021, 7:02:00 AM2/4/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I think so. But only second-hand ones. Here's a link.
Steff also gave a link to digital edition of this book

Отправлено с устройства Galaxy

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Mario Lanza, Tenor" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mariolanza/c6223d50-ad44-4500-a92e-8838a8ac0d49n%40googlegroups.com.

kuzmishinairina

Feb 4, 2021, 7:07:17 AM2/4/21
to mario...@googlegroups.com

The book really isn't very thick, onlyb110 pages.This is a PDF free version.

Отправлено с устройства Galaxy

Feb 4, 2021, 7:37:17 AM2/4/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Derek,

I really found the radio programme classy and very enjoyable.
Of course they mentioned their two Mexican flagships, Irma Gonzales and Sarita Montiel.
There was a snippet of an interview that soprano Irma Gonzales gave shortly before her death in 2008, where she spoke about her singing excerpts of "La Bohème" with Lanza at the Berkshires. She described Lanza as being "very correct, likeable, with a powerful and beautiful voice." ("precioso muchacho, muy correcto, simpático").

Incidentally, I've now also figure out when the second part of this programme will take place, as the radio host mentioned this almost at the end of the show. It is the 30th June 2021. So, there's something to mark in my diary.

Am I wrong, or didn't they include "The Loveliest Night of the Year." One would have expected this as it is based on "Sobre las olas" by the Mexican composer Juventino Rosas.

Steff
P.S.: Yes, let's skip starting to learn Russian for the moment. Though it is a nice language I think I might go with Spanish first - I feel inspired now after this Mexican programme, as the host had such a catching voice ... and wasn't so speedy!!
Viva la ópera! Hasta pronto!"

Derek McGovern

Feb 4, 2021, 8:27:06 AM2/4/21
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Steff: Actually, I thought the most notable musical omission from the Mexican programme was "Granada"---which, of course, was written by a Mexican! So they must be saving it for the second programme.

I must try to contact the host and producer, Erick Zermeño, as he really does deserve praise for what he's achieved here. Interestingly, it was his 2008 interview with Irma González that I quoted (and translated) from for both our website (the page in which opera singers' firsthand experiences with hearing or working with Lanza are listed) and on Mario's Wikipedia page!

Back in 2008, after reading Zermeño's interview with González in the Spanish-language Pro Ópera (I never knew at the time that there was a recording of it as well), I actually managed to obtain Ms. González's phone number. I was very keen to talk with her, but in the cruellest of coincidences, within a few hours of finally receiving her number, I learned that she had died earlier that same day! In fact, I wrote about it here at the time:

Who would have thought that just over 12 years later, González's interviewer would turn up with a programme exclusively dedicated to her singing partner?!

Steff Walzinger

Feb 4, 2021, 10:30:49 AM2/4/21