How many Grammy awards did Lanza receive ?

Thelma

May 18, 2010, 9:26:41 PM5/18/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
How many grammy awards did Lanza receive and for which recordings?
Can someone enlightment me? Thank you.

Armando

May 18, 2010, 10:10:53 PM5/18/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

On May 19, 11:26 am, Thelma <tfpri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How many grammy awards did  Lanza receive and for which recordings?

Thelma: The first Grammy Awards were given in 1958. Lanza was
nominated the following year (1959) in the best soundtrack album
category with For the First Time, but the winner was the soundtrack of
Porgy and Bess.

Thelma

May 18, 2010, 11:07:37 PM5/18/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thank you. How many Gold records did he get awards for?

Armando

May 19, 2010, 2:48:45 AM5/19/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

On May 19, 1:07 pm, Thelma <tfpri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you.  How many Gold records did he get awards for?

He was awarded Gold Records for the following:

Be My Love, The Loveliest Night of the Year, Because You’re Mine and
the Great Caruso and Student Prince (1954) albums.

Derek McGovern

May 19, 2010, 9:13:47 AM5/19/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Ciao Armando: I was just thinking that, of course, today those Gold
Records would be classified as Platinum sellers. A Gold Record in the
1950s signified an album or a single that had sold a million copies --
quite a feat at a time when many people didn't own a record player --
but these days a "gold record" refers to sales of just 500,000 copies.
Platinum signifies a million copies, and I think in the case of Be My
Love, Mario sold close to two million copies -- "Double Platinum" in
today's music industry.

Cheers
Derek

Armando

May 19, 2010, 7:26:39 PM5/19/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Quite right, Derek. The figures I have based on total sales are as
follows:

3 Gold records for Be My Love.
2 Gold records for The Loveliest Night Of The Year.
2 Gold records for Because Your Mine.
3 Gold records for The Great Caruso Album.
2 Gold records for The Student Prince Album.

Also, listed by RIAA (1998) as Multi Platinum, is the Readers Digest
(6 Records) Be My Love collection.

Derek McGovern

May 20, 2010, 10:41:29 PM5/20/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Ciao Armando: Interesting! If Be My Love received three gold records
under the *old* American Recording Industry classification (i.e., gold
record = a million copies), then that would make it a multi-platinum
seller in today's terms.

What I don't understand, though, is how The Great Caruso album could
have outsold The Student Prince. To the best of my knowledge, the
American version of The Great Caruso LP album was not released until
1958 (and featured a miserable eight tracks!). A decade later, it was
reported as having reached million-selling status, so that's *one*
gold record -- or two in today's terms. The Student Prince, on the
other hand, was released in 1954 and stayed on the Billboard charts
for 151 weeks, including an amazing 42 weeks in the #1 position. With
that kind of success, I can't see how it could have sold fewer copies
than The Great Caruso album! (The only thing I can think of is that
RCA foolishly removed it from their catalogue for 13 years when they
brought out the 1959 stereo version, but -- even so -- it still had
five years in the marketplace.)

I think it's also worth pointing out that the sales figures for
Lanza's LPs and singles were probably for the US alone.

Cheers
Derek

Mike McAdam

May 20, 2010, 11:47:49 PM5/20/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I can address a couple of these points, Derek as they are still fresh
in my mind for some reason.
I remember the Great Caruso being re-released in 1958 in an
'electronic stereo' version where they took the previous wine-coloured
background pic of Lanza singing Vesti La Giubba and surrounded it in
yellow. The selections remained the same but the LP label switched to
an updated version in a brighter red. I bought this piece of crap
pseudo-stereo version while I lived out West. My pal's mum had the one
with the original 'Vesti' cover, in mono and with the same eight
selections and had bought that when she arrived in Canada in the mid-
fifties.
My Aunt Joyce had the Great Caruso LP back in the early fifties but I
remember (as only children do with their not-as-yet-filled RAM cells)
that it had a two-tone Rigoletto picture of Mario on the front, full
length. Don't remember if there were only eight selections but i
remember the LP being 'thick' and heavy (not as flexible and thin as
mum's 'Guys and Dolls' on Decca for instance, which she purchased a
couple yrs later). The Great Caruso LP was definitely out well before
1958 though.

Most record companies in the U.S. had Canadian stamping operations and
I remember reading in some publication that they always counted the
(then pretty minimal) Cdn sales in their North American tally for Gold
record status (just as they always counted Canadian car sales in with
theirs for total units sold as many cars destined for the US were made
in Canada).

What year did RCA Victor release "Love Songs & a Neapolitan Serenade"?
Must have been 1953 maybe? "The Great Caruso" (LM1127) is advertised
on the back of that LP.

Cheers, Mike

Derek McGovern

May 21, 2010, 1:29:53 AM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Mike

Thanks for that. I'd got it into my head that prior to the 1958
version of the LP, the album had only been released on EPs (especially
since it only contained eight tracks). But after reading your post, I
suddenly remembered this interesting website page, which goes into
great details about various versions of The Great Caruso album
(including the much-superior British HMV versions):

http://www.durbeckarchive.com/lanza.htm

The curious thing is that prior to the 1958 version (http://
www.durbeckarchive.com/lanza3.htm), the LP was released in two
different covers in the US:

http://www.durbeckarchive.com/lanza1.htm

http://www.durbeckarchive.com/lanza2.htm

Judging by its catalogue number (LM 1188), the album Love Songs and A
Neapolitan Serenade (with Mario on the cover, as opposed to the later
version, which featured a woman) probably came out in 1952, since it's
only 61 releases after The Great Caruso. Compare that album's
catalogue number with Lanza's two 1954 LP releases, The Student Prince
(LM 1837) and A Kiss and Other Love Songs (LM 1860).

Incidentally, I've always been a history nut, and I remember that as a
kid encountering all these Lanza albums, it used to drive me crazy
that were seldom any release dates or recording information on the
back of his covers!

Armando

May 21, 2010, 1:37:49 AM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Derek and Mike,

In fact, the original Great Caruso LP containing the same eight tracks
came out in 1951 prior to the film’s release and immediately sold
something like 100.000 copies. This would account for the overall
sales as reported in 1968- a total of 17 years. The original Student
Prince LP, on the other hand, was initially on sale from 1954 to 1960
(when it was withdrawn and replaced by the Stereo 1959 version) and
re- issued, briefly, in the 70s in electronically reprocessed
stereo.

I’ve added the jacket of the original Great Caruso LP to the Photos &
Recording files.

Derek McGovern

May 21, 2010, 2:04:57 AM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Grazie, Armando. That cover photo certainly makes Mario look short! He
never did have much luck with RCA in the cover department.

I'm still puzzled by The Great Caruso album receiving three gold
records, especially since the album supposedly took 17 years to sell a
million copies. It's hard to believe that it would have gone on (after
1968) to sell a further million -- or 500,000 (depending on how "gold"
was assessed), unless the three gold records were for international
sales.

You know, I would have put money on The Student Prince being Lanza's
most popular album, even with its shorter period in the marketplace.
42 weeks at #1 in the Billboard 'pop' charts was a formidable
achievement. On top of that, it was a very generously filled album --
in contrast with The Great Caruso, which only had enough tracks to
warrant a smaller 10" release. (It's strange, by the way, that RCA
never thought to include the 1949 Celeste Aida and Che Gelida Manina
on the US version of The Great Caruso album, especially since --
unlike four of the arias featured on the album -- both of these were
actually sung in the film!!)

Cheers
Derek
> > > Derek- Hide quoted text -

Armando

May 21, 2010, 2:28:30 AM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I am inclined to agree with you, Derek. I really don’t know what to
make of those Great Caruso figures.

As for Mario looking short-are you kidding? He was 5ft. 10in. and with
lifts in his shoes well over 6 ft! Haven’t you noticed how he towers
over 5ft 6in Johanna von Koczian? :-)

Derek McGovern

May 21, 2010, 2:49:05 AM5/21/10
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Armando: And don't forget "Corelli the Giant", whom we were "reliably"
informed on one particular Lanza forum was 6ft. 2in in his socks!

A PS to your earlier comment about the 6-LP Reader's Digest set going
multi-platinum: those sales may not have been quite the feat that its
RIAA certification suggests. Apparently, it's common practice for each
disc in a set to count towards the total number of sales. In other
words, if a 6-LP set sells, say, 500,000 copies, then total sales are
calculated as 6 x 500,000, or 3,000,000. That's how you get to
multi-platinum in no time at all!

Armando

May 21, 2010, 3:10:45 AM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Interesting, Derek.I didn’t know that’s how they calculate sales.

But I did know about “Corelli the Giant”!

Derek McGovern

May 21, 2010, 3:12:43 AM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I'd never really given that much thought before to Lanza's record
sales. I know that with singles -- both in Mario's lifetime and today
-- commercial success hinges on the amount of radio play a recording
receives. Be My Love, Loveliest Night of the Year, and Because You're
Mine were all very "radio-friendly", so it's easy to see why they did
so well in terms of sales. But I'm curious now to know how well some
of his albums did. We know that Caruso Favorites and the soundtrack to
For the First Time made it to #4 and #5, respectively, on the
Billboard Top 10 charts, but how many copies did they actually sell?
And what of other fine Lanza LPs such as the Serenade soundtrack and
the "Mario!" album? It'd be interesting to track down the figures.

Armando

May 21, 2010, 3:32:25 AM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
As well as Caruso Favorites and For the First Time the abominable
stereo Christmas Carols album did very well in the charts.

Where do we go for further details?
Message has been deleted

Derek McGovern

May 21, 2010, 11:22:57 AM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Ciao Armando: I don't know where we'd go for actual sales figures.
(Mike: any ideas??) But it certainly is interesting to note what did
well on the US charts, and what didn't. According to a 2007 article by
David Weaver that I've just dug out, the Serenade soundtrack reached
#9 on Billboard's Top Ten in 1956, and Seven Hills of Rome did even
better at #7 in 1958. In between those two releases was Cavalcade of
Show Tunes, which doesn't appear to have performed well, surprisingly
enough. Weaver doesn't mention if the ghastly Lanza on Broadway
charted, though I assume from the number of reissues that it's had
that it must have made it into the Top 100, at least.

I'm not sure if the 1959-released "Mario!" album penetrated
Billboard's charts, though as you pointed out, the 1959 Christmas
Carols certainly did! (Time Magazine's odd promotion of it probably
helped.) Curiously enough, the stereo remake of The Student Prince
failed to chart, yet its poor sales didn't dissuade RCA from
continuing to displace the magnificent 1952-3 version for well over a
decade. Very strange.

Weaver points out in his article that Mario achieved an amazing five
Number One albums in the US between 1951 and 1954. One of these was
Because You're MIne. I've never come across that album! I presume it
was a 10" rather than a full 12-inch release; do you happen to know
what was on it?

Cheers
Derek

P.S. On a vaguely related note, I see that sales of vinyl records have
actually *increased* of late. According to this article, sales of
vinyl in the US reached three million last year -- an increase of a
million: http://blog.lprevival.com/2010/03/10/vinyl-records-sales-rising-as-old-fashioned-albums-enjoy-a-renaissance-telegraph-vinyl/
Message has been deleted

leeann

May 21, 2010, 2:01:44 PM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi, Derek. Just a quick note for now (still at work here), according
to a recent Billboard article, The Student Prince album was still in
the top ten in March 1956 when Billboard debuted its weekly listings.
The link is here along with a brief history of that list
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1004077406

Here's a quick fix:

Position, Artist, Title
No. 1, Harry Belafonte, "Belafonte"
No. 2, Soundtrack, "Oklahoma!"
No. 3, Soundtrack, "Carousel"
No. 4, Soundtrack, "The Benny Goodman Story"
No. 5, Julie London, "Julie Is Her Name"
No. 6, the Four Freshmen, "Four Freshmen and Five Trombones"
No. 7, Mario Lanza, "The Student Prince"
No. 8, Jackie Gleason, "Music to Change Her Mind"
No. 9, Lawrence Welk, "Sparkling Strings"

Look forward to finding out more later. The rising popularity of
vinyl seems to be a phenomenon in the US as well. Best, Lee Ann
No. 10, Soundtrack, "The Man With the Golden Arm"

Armando

May 21, 2010, 7:29:39 PM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

On May 22, 1:22 am, Derek McGovern <derek.mcgov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Weaver points out in his article that Mario achieved an amazing five
> Number One albums in the US between 1951 and 1954. One of these was
> Because You're MIne. I've never come across that album! I presume it
> was a 10" rather than a full 12-inch release; do you happen to know
> what was on it?

Hi Derek: Yes, Because You’re Mine was a 10 inch album (LM 7015) and
contained the following selections:

Because You’re Mine, The Song Angels Sing, You Do Something Me, Lee Ah
Loo, Granada, The Lord’s Prayer, Mamma Mia che Vo Sape, and Addio Alla
Madre.

Derek McGovern

May 21, 2010, 8:09:15 PM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Lee Ann wrote:

> According
> to a recent Billboard article, The Student Prince album was still in
> the top ten in March 1956 when Billboard debuted its weekly listings.

Thanks for that, Lee Ann. It reinforces what an incredible run The
Student Prince had. Just think: it entered the Top Ten in July 1954,
hit the #1 spot the following month -- staying there for 41 weeks --
and 19 months later had only dropped to #7. How many albums enjoy that
kind of success today?!

Cheers
Derek

Derek McGovern

May 21, 2010, 8:15:57 PM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Armando wrote:

> Hi Derek: Yes, Because You’re Mine was a 10 inch album (LM 7015) and
> contained the following selections:
>
> Because You’re Mine, The Song Angels Sing, You Do Something Me, Lee Ah
> Loo, Granada, The Lord’s Prayer, Mamma Mia che Vo Sape, and Addio Alla
> Madre.

Thanks for that info, Armando. What a beautiful collection! I'm not
surprised it reached #1. Not a single 'dud' on the album -- and that
includes Lee Ah Loo, which might not be much of a song, but is
nevertheless beautifully sung -- and a few masterpieces to boot.

Cheers
Derek

Mike McAdam

May 21, 2010, 10:55:08 PM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hey....what a great thread! Fascinating stuff coming out here. I too
was always a history nut when it came to audio recordings, Derek (as
well as films & photography). The Durbeck link to the album jackets
confirms what I mentioned above vis-a-vis my recollections of my
auntie's Great Caruso LP: the two-tone Rigoletto photo and its issue
on the 'His Master's Voice' label (this was when I was a kid in
England, of course) . I remember my tenacity in badgering people about
this (and likely many another) record.
Once settled in Canada in the mid-fifties, every new kid I met had a
mother who was a Mario Lanza nut, it seems. They ALL had the Great
Caruso and Student Prince LP's....without exception. However, it drove
me crazy trying to find one with "Your Tiny Hand is Frozen" on it. As
a kid I had remembered that sub-title to the boheme aria rather than
its proper name. Anyway, I KNEW this aria was on my auntie's Great
Caruso LP and I must have driven these various friend's mothers nuts
asking why it was not on their Great Caruso LPs! I never twigged that
I was now in north America and that the LP would be a different
version than the one I had seen, right? I note that the English used
the terminology "Mario Lanza sings *melodies* from The Great Caruso".
Charming.

(Derek will love this para :-) Armando: that catalogue number for the
10" Because You're Mine LP has four digits after the LM? My 10" Toast
of New Orleans LP is LM 75. It's also a bit odd that it's not a low
number in the 17's also? If the info for that catalogue no. was
actually a misprint and BYM was supposed to be LM 1715 vs 7015 that
would make more sense, non? Ergo: A Because You're Mine LP would be a
1952 or 1953 release coming before 1954's LM 1837 (Student Prince).
That number sequencing would make more sense, I would think.
Ciao for now, Mike the Hair-Splitter :-)

On May 21, 2:29 am, Derek McGovern <derek.mcgov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike
>
> Thanks for that. I'd got it into my head that prior to the 1958
> version of the LP, the album had only been released on EPs (especially
> since it only contained eight tracks). But after reading your post, I
> suddenly remembered this interesting website page, which goes into
> great details about various versions of The Great Caruso album
> (including the much-superior British HMV versions):
>
> http://www.durbeckarchive.com/lanza.htm
>
> The curious thing is that prior to the 1958 version (http://www.durbeckarchive.com/lanza3.htm), the LP was released in two

Thelma

May 21, 2010, 11:21:55 PM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I am so happy this question sparked so many conversations. I thought
this was something I should know after all this time. It seems many
people enjoyed this subject. It's really a miracle that even with all
the things Mario Lanza had to deal with in his brief career, that he
managed to make so many really good recordings and entertain so many
people, even still today.

Derek McGovern

May 21, 2010, 11:24:19 PM5/21/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Mike: Actually, thinking about it now, I can understand why Che
Gelida Manina (and, for that matter, Celeste Aida) was left off the US
version of The Great Caruso album. Only about 18 months earlier, RCA
had released a Midnight Kiss (mini) album with six studio recordings
on it, including Che Gelida and Celeste Aida. According to Weaver's
article, the album (which was Lanza's first) actually reached reached
#2 on the Billboard charts, remaining in the Top Ten for 27 weeks. I
guess RCA decided that it would be too much to reissue two of the
recordings from a popular album such a short time later. Makes sense!

As I'm sure you remember, the British (HMV) version of The Great
Caruso also featured the likes of Because, 'A Vucchella and
Marechiare. Presumably, RCA opted not to include those recordings on
their eight-aria LP so that they could feature them instead on their
Love Songs and a Neapolitan Serenade compilation the following year.

Come to think of it, the RCA Lanza albums were pretty well compiled up
until 1955, when the all-Coke Touch of Your Hand introduced the world
to a wildly inconsistent artist! From then on, RCA's quality control
was haphazard at best :-)

Armando

May 22, 2010, 12:59:50 AM5/22/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

On May 22, 12:55 pm, Mike McAdam <macadame...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> (Derek will love this para :-) Armando: that catalogue number for the
> 10" Because You're Mine LP has four digits after the LM? My 10" Toast
> of New Orleans LP is LM 75.  It's also a bit odd that it's not a low
> number in the 17's also? If the info for that catalogue no. was
> actually a misprint and BYM was supposed to be LM 1715 vs 7015 that
> would make more sense, non? Ergo: A Because You're Mine LP would be a
> 1952 or 1953 release coming before 1954's LM 1837 (Student Prince).
> That number sequencing would make more sense, I would think.
> Ciao for now, Mike the Hair-Splitter :-)

Hi Mike: What you are saying makes sense, but the catalogue number for
the Because You’re Mine 10inch LP is definitely LM 7015 -the same as
the 78s album which is DM 7015. The Student Prince LP, however, was
12inch. But then again the catalogue number for the ten inch
Christmas Carols is LM 155!? The Toast of New Orleans has three
different catalogue numbers LM 75, DM 1395 and WDM 1395. Then there’s
Popular Songs from the Toast of New Orleans: DM 1417 and WDM 1417. I
certainly can’t figure out the criteria for the numbering. If anyone
can they are most welcome to help solve the riddle.

Cheers,

Armando

leeann

May 22, 2010, 1:02:00 AM5/22/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
As it turns out, Google Books has digitized issues of Billboard
Magazine dating to 1942--and that, of course, means their listings of
Top Tens and more are there, depending upon what their listing format
was at particular times; and early on, at least, occasionally
differentiating between what disc jockeys were playing and what people
were buying. And while there are frequent articles about the sales
volume of kinds of music, e.g., pop, classical, or sometimes about
individual albums or records, there doesn't seem to be any consistent
charting of those figures.

Mario Lanza definitely careened across charts and articles and markets
from pop to classical, but when RCA talked about new classical
releases, Lanza was on the short list.

I haven't found Mario! yet. But I took some side trips. As Derek
pointed out, It would seem that audiences were busy instead with For
the First Time, Caruso Favorites, and the 1959 Christmas Album. In
September 1960, at any rate, Caruso Favorites was number 4 on both the
mono and stero classical lists and number 13 on the overall mono list
where it had appeared for 19 weeks.

http://books.google.com/books?id=oR0EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA35&dq=lanza+for+the+first+time&as_pt=MAGAZINES&client=firefox-a&cd=5#v=onepage&q=lanza%20for%20the%20first%20time&f=false

There's also an interesting article about Academy Award lyricist Paul
Webster, author of I'll Walk With God. Although he wrote songs
specifically for a rather impressive range of artists, that piece, he
considered that one, written for Lanza, as his "silent
standard." (http://books.google.com/books?id=ACkEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA8&dq=I
%27ll+walk+with+God&as_pt=MAGAZINES&client=firefox-a&cd=9#v=onepage&q=I
%27ll%20walk%20with%20God&f=false" Best, Lee Ann

Message has been deleted

Derek McGovern

May 22, 2010, 10:55:04 PM5/22/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Many thanks for that, Lee Ann. I've just been taking a quick look
through some of the online issues of Billboard Magazine from 1959, and
I see that one entry on Lanza (announcing his death) in the October
12th edition mentions his sales figures for Be My Love and The Student
Prince:

http://books.google.com/books?id=RwoEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA14&dq=billboard+october+1959&as_pt=MAGAZINES&ei=VZb4S77RHoSilQTvvazkCQ&client=firefox-a&cd=8#v=onepage&q=lanza&f=false

It says that Be My Love sold around 1,500,000 copies -- so there are
the three Gold Records under today's method of certification -- and
that The Student Prince album had *already* sold a million copies.

All this talk of records is making me very nostalgic all of a sudden
for LPs!

Cheers
Derek

Derek McGovern

May 22, 2010, 11:19:07 PM5/22/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
P.S. There's an ad in the April 13, 1959 edition of Billboard for the
"Mario!" album (and in two editions for May of that year):

http://books.google.com/books?id=vh4EAAAAMBAJ&pg=RA1-PA16&dq=Mario!+LSC+2331&as_pt=MAGAZINES&ei=dZr4S7-gEpLKkASwqbyjAQ&client=firefox-a&cd=1#v=onepage&q=Mario!%20LSC%202331&f=false

Actually, I hadn't realized that RCA had released it so soon after it
was recorded. I'd always assumed that it had come out in late May or
June at the earliest, especially since the stereo Christmas Carols
from May was only two releases further down in the catalogue.

It's disappointing that the "Mario!" LP didn't chart, but the
depressing Christmas album did!

Speaking of LPs and their covers, I've always loved the "Mario!" album
cover. (I just wish RCA hadn't given Lanza such an oddly round right
shoulder when removing Zsa Zsa Gabor from what had been a publicity
pic from For the First Time :-))

leeann

May 23, 2010, 7:20:08 AM5/23/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi, Derek, there's definitely a lot of rich material there. In line
with your mention of the album cover. I notice there's a regular
column (at least in the late 1950s) that highlights new albums they
predict will sell well. For Lanza at least, cover art is frequently
mentioned as a selling point. And for a positive thought about non-
mentions, I didn't yet find Lanza on Broadway either!

So, I guess any accounts of Joseph Schmidt's being almost six feet
tall should be viewed with suspicion too. Just being prepared. :-)
Best, Lee Ann

Derek McGovern

May 23, 2010, 8:51:51 AM5/23/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Lee Ann: I'm surprised that Billboard discussed the cover art of
Lanza's LPs as a selling point! Many of them were substandard in my
opinion, and the ones that followed in the 1960s were often terrible:

The Vagabong King: http://www.weedfarm.com/images/otherimages/CV8196.jpg

Christmas Hymns and Carols: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3289/3144280769_85939835cf.jpg
and (even worse!): http://www.rense.com/excursions/lanza/LPS/hymns1tm.jpg

Younger Than Springtime:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MARIO-LANZA-YOUNGER-THAN-SPRINGTIME-LP-SEALED-/370172771579?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item5630043cfb

Maybe we should start a new thread entitled "Lanza album cover art"!

Derek McGovern

May 24, 2010, 11:15:46 AM5/24/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
> Maybe we should start a new thread entitled "Lanza album cover art"!

Come to think of it, we did have a thread on Mario's LP covers back in
2008:

http://groups.google.com/group/mariolanza/browse_thread/thread/19ff2db7aefcb6ca#

While I can't revive that earlier thread, I will single out *this*
cover, which has always been one of my favourites:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=380217309023&Category=306&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

The same photo was used for the 3-LP set The Art and Voice of Mario
Lanza in 1973. It's a striking cover, and would have been a better
choice, I feel, than the slightly hammy Otello pic that BMG used for
the 1999 CD Opera Arias & Duets:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/Lanza_arias_duets.jpg

zsazsa

May 24, 2010, 1:05:31 PM5/24/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Derek,
yes, it is a good idea and if you don`t mind here are some (!) of my
favority Lanza album cover arts, I know that they are a lot, but I
just could not say which one is the best one, so all of them are my
favorites:

Favorite Mario cd covers

http://www.amazon.com/Voice-Mario-Lanza/dp/B000AV8ZY2/ref=sr_1_113?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274718836&sr=1-113

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00122QJMI/sr=1-131/qid=1274718955/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music&qid=1274718955&sr=1-131

http://www.amazon.com/Concert-Radio-Performances-Mario-Lanza/dp/B0014TC01S/ref=sr_1_140?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274719076&sr=1-140

http://www.amazon.com/Be-My-Love-Nicholas-Brodszky/dp/B0000071HL/ref=sr_1_276?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274719356&sr=1-276

http://www.amazon.com/My-Song-Love-Classic-Collection/dp/B0007ODLBE/ref=sr_1_317?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274719471&sr=1-317

http://www.inandout.at/?ff_sku=CD:82876656552-H12&new_waers=EUR

http://www.buecher.de/shop/tenor/mario-lanza/the-essential-mario-lanza/products_products/detail/prod_id/22763394/

http://www.buecher.de/shop/tenor/mario-lanza/the-essential-mario-lanza/products_products/detail/prod_id/22763394/

http://www.inandout.at/?ff_sku=CD:88697573892-H12&new_waers=EUR

http://www.musicberlin.com/ger/php/detail.php?show=6216569765&aid=3

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/SESSIONID/746651254d4c919dc402a0fbd5d9b1a4/poprock/detail/-/art/Mario-Lanza-The-Christmas-Album/hnum/9943319

http://cgi.ebay.de/0A-Neu-CD-Mario-Lanza---The-Definitive-Collection-%26Bonu_W0QQitemZ390196503875QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=f1c1723d1260a0aad527a657ff3327fd
And here is a very funny one:
http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Greatest-Voices-Placido-Domingo/dp/B000003FY7/ref=sr_1_319?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274719471&sr=1-319

http://www.trade-a-game.de/i,971264/cd/lanza-mario-artists-of-the-century-lanza?ga_source=froogle&ga_medium=PSM&ga_content=csv&ga_term=Lanza,Mario+-+Artists+Of+The+Century-Lanza+CD&ga_campaign=froogle_PSM_csv_Lanza,Mario+-+Artists+Of+The+Century-Lanza+CD

http://store.recordsleeves.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=1867&osCsid=s3qcrtcnau51helhq1a47pmbn0

http://entertainment.sears.com/product.aspx?id=08736345&sid=I0084400010000100600&aff=Y

http://www.amazon.com/Be-My-Love-Greatest-Performances/dp/B0000063DS/ref=sr_1_54?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274718677&sr=1-54

Of course, your favorites are my as well!
Cheerio from Susan

On 24 Mai, 17:15, Derek McGovern <derek.mcgov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Maybe we should start a new thread entitled "Lanza album cover art"!
>
> Come to think of it, we did have a thread on Mario's LP covers back in
> 2008:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/mariolanza/browse_thread/thread/19ff2d...
>
> While I can't revive that earlier thread, I will single out *this*
> cover, which has always been one of my favourites:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=380217309023&Categ...

Mike McAdam

May 31, 2010, 9:33:03 AM5/31/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Some years ago, I remember reading in some music magazine that,
during the phenomenal top 100 run of 'The Student Prince' LP, the
single 'Drink, Drink, Drink' only fell short of earning Lanza another
gold record by the narrowest of margins.
Do you have any figures on that recording Armando? Derek?
Mike

Armando

May 31, 2010, 11:53:24 PM5/31/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor

On May 31, 11:33 pm, Mike McAdam <macadame...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Some years ago, I remember reading  in some music magazine that,
> during the phenomenal top 100 run of 'The Student Prince' LP, the
> single 'Drink, Drink, Drink' only fell short of earning Lanza another
> gold record by the narrowest of margins.

Hi Mike: I don’t have any specific data on “Drink” but I also recall
reading somewhere that it went pretty close to reaching gold record
status. What I can tell you is that throughout 1954/5, along with
Serenade, it was being played on a daily basis on Australian radio.
Other songs constantly heard during the same period and slightly
earlier were, Because, Granada, Because You’re Mine, the ever present
Be My Love and the rest of the Student Prince selections.

Derek McGovern

Jun 1, 2010, 1:34:16 AM6/1/10
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Actually, there must have been several other singles that did very
well, while not quite making it to the status of gold records (bearing
in mind that "gold" then signified a million sales rather than today's
500,000). What about Song of India, for example? Surely that was a
decent seller? And if Drink! Drink! Drink! did well, then I'd imagine
the single of I'll Walk With God (which had Beloved as its 'B' side)
would have been equally successful.

RCA's liner notes in the ML Collection also mention that Call Me
Fool/If You Were Mine sold well.

Armando: Do you know if the Italian version of Arrivederci, Roma was
released as a single? I know the English version was released as a 45
(with the 1957 Younger Than Springtime on the flipside). I can imagine
both versions being popular.

Armando

Jun 1, 2010, 3:37:47 AM6/1/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Ciao Derek: No, the Italian Version of Arrivederci Roma was not
released as a single but the English version was also released on 78
with Never Till Now on the reverse side. All the songs you mentioned
did well, also, You Are My Love, Earthbound and the title song from
Serenade.

Derek McGovern

Jun 2, 2010, 3:49:04 AM6/2/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thanks for that info, Armando. I can't get over the title song from
Serenade being popular! One would think the Student Prince Serenade
would have had a far better chance of success on the charts.

Perhaps RCA decided not to release the Italian version of Arrivederci,
Roma as a single because of little Luisa's screeching?! After all,
it's hard to imagine her voice being very radio-friendly :-)