News for the New Year

jeannepimentel

Dec 27, 2009, 11:17:27 PM12/27/09
to marinermars69
I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season.

The year ended with two more interesting developments for us.

1. The College of Chemistry at Berkeley published a two-page spread
about the Mariner 6/7 project in its current magazine "The Catalyst"
ably written and edited by Michael Barnes. There will eventually be a
link to it on the College of Chemistry website:
http://chemistry.berkeley.edu/publications/catalyst/
but I don't know how soon that will appear. Meantime, I'll see if
I'll look into posting a the article itself on this site. Some of you
may be on the College's mailing list to receive the magazine. I have a
couple of extra copies that I can circulate if you want to see it
sooner.

2. The "Pimentel Papers" - the collection of George's papers that I
have been working on for years, has finally been catalogued by the
Bancroft Library and made available to the public. There is a
Finding Aid on the library website:
http://www.oac.cdlib.org/view?docId=kt596nf32g;developer=local;query=;style=oac4;view=admin
As you can see, there are several files about Mars; Sometime soon
I'll go and see exactly what they kept (they only have room for a
limited amount). I have lots more material at home, that will be
available to anyone who wants to see it at least as long as I'm
around!

In the New Year we'll be posting more articles, photos, and comments
about Mariner, and look forward to your comments and ideas for
discussion.

Happy 2010!

Jeanne Pimentel