Backup options in Columnstore

Kladizkov theone

Sep 8, 2023, 2:53:53 AM9/8/23
to MariaDB ColumnStore
How do we take a backup of data from MariaDB Columnstore? Suppose if the database size exceeds 800 GB? What options do I have?

Todd Stoffel

Sep 8, 2023, 2:56:52 AM9/8/23
to MariaDB ColumnStore
Something like this would work:

#!/bin/bash
rm -rf /backup
mkdir -p /backup/{mysql,columnstore}
mariadb-backup --user=your_user --password=your_password --backup --rsync --target-dir=/backup/mysql
mcs cluster set mode --mode readonly
rsync -av /var/lib/columnstore/ /backup/columnstore/
mcs cluster set mode --mode readwrite

Kladizkov theone

Sep 11, 2023, 5:25:17 AM9/11/23
to MariaDB ColumnStore
Thank you for the reply.

How long do you think the "mariadb-backup" might take to backup a db of size 800 GB? I know this can vary due to various factors, but could you please provide an approx based on your experience?

Faisal Saeed

Sep 11, 2023, 6:42:08 AM9/11/23
to Kladizkov theone, MariaDB ColumnStore
Hi Kladizkov,

As you already stated, it depends on various factors like Storage speed and your current rate of TPS on the InnoDB tables, but typically I have seen 1TB or database take around 30 minutes to 1 hour to backup and then you would still need to execute "maria-backup --prepare" which will take longer if the server was very busy with ongoing transactions if the server is low utilization or idle, then the prepare stage would take a few seconds.

Best Regards,
Faisal Saeed | Principal Solution Architect
MariaDB Corporation | Tel: +65 9386 5771 | fai...@mariadb.com | Twitter: @RF_FaisalZ

Todd Stoffel

Sep 11, 2023, 1:29:58 PM9/11/23
to MariaDB ColumnStore
How much of that 800 GB is in Columnstore vs InnoDB?