Use of columnstore with MariaDB community edition (v10.9.5)

Pim van Nierop

Feb 26, 2023, 8:28:09 AM2/26/23
to MariaDB ColumnStore
Hello,

I am trying to run MariaDB columnstore on MariaDB community edition v10.9.5 running in Docker. From the documentation I understood that this version has built-in support for the columnstore engine:

> From MariaDB 10.5.4, it is available as a storage engine for MariaDB Server. Before then, it is only available as a separate download.

However, when I try to provision my database I get the following error:

ERROR 1286 (42000) at line 25: Unknown storage engine 'COLUMNSTORE'

I tried to enter 'COLUMNSTORE' in camel case but this does not solve the issue. Are there some undocumented steps that I still need to perform to activate the columnstore in community edition?

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

All the best,
Pim van Nierop

drrtuy

Mar 2, 2023, 4:57:18 AM3/2/23
to MariaDB ColumnStore
Hi,

The wording

> From MariaDB 10.5.4, it is available as a storage engine for MariaDB Server. Before then, it is only available as a separate download.

might be misguiding. It meas that before 10.5.4 you have to download a separate server build to have MCS. After 10.5.4 you still need to install a separate package to have Columnstore support. Add the corresponding MariaDB package source and search for columnstore in packages for the actual package name.

Regards,
Roman

воскресенье, 26 февраля 2023 г. в 16:28:09 UTC+3, Pim van Nierop:

Pim van Nierop

Mar 2, 2023, 6:36:56 AM3/2/23
to drrtuy, MariaDB ColumnStore
Hello drrtuy,

Ah thank you. But should I also deploy a columnstore cluster like described here (https://github.com/mariadb-corporation/mariadb-columnstore-docker/issues) or am I covered when installing the columnstore engine as you described?

All the best,
Pim

drrtuy

Mar 10, 2023, 3:45:46 AM3/10/23
to MariaDB ColumnStore
No, you need only this repo.
My suggestion is relevant only if you want to build your own image with a custom Dockerfile.

Regards,
Roman

четверг, 2 марта 2023 г. в 14:36:56 UTC+3, Pim van Nierop: