Looping problem when using IP rule and NetworkLocation switch

1 view

chrisleishman

Sep 20, 2010, 11:54:12 AM9/20/10
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Hi all,

I'm trying to setup MarcoPolo to select the correct network location
for my work (which requires a configured proxy server). I can detect
the work location by the IP address range (internally they allocate
public IP addresses via DHCP from a specific subnet), and I have an
"on arrival" action to switch to the appropriate network location.

However, it seems that when the network location is switched, it
temporarily causes the network adaptor to lose it's IP address while
it re-discovers via DHCP. This is long enough for MarcoPolo to decide
that I'm no longer on the work network, switch to the default context
and run the "on departure" actions which I have set to switch the
location back to "automatic".

This then loops, continually switching between the two contexts.

Does anyone know how I can avoid this? Perhaps it is possible to
delay the next context check after switching network locations?

cheers,
chris

David Symonds

Sep 25, 2010, 9:30:25 PM9/25/10
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 1:54 AM, chrisleishman <ch...@leishman.org> wrote:

> Does anyone know how I can avoid this?  Perhaps it is possible to
> delay the next context check after switching network locations?

Have you tried enabling "switch smoothing"? It's meant for exactly
this situation.

Dave.

Chris Leishman

Sep 26, 2010, 3:19:35 AM9/26/10
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. I guess the delay isn't long enough. I could stretch the check
interval I guess...