No WiFi Rule Possible

radesix

Jul 24, 2009, 2:24:23 AM7/24/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
I have been a MarcoPolo user for a long time and really can't see
myself living without it. However, today MarcoPolo seemed to have
completely locked up on me. Even after a reboot when moving the
cursor up to the menu bar to right click for preferences I
consistently get the spinning pinwheel.

I removed MarcoPolo from my login items, rebooted, and uninstalled the
application. I then trashed the .plist file in /Library/Preferences.
I reinstalled the application (both 2.5 and the 3.0) beta. No matter
what I do I can't add a WiFi rule. It's greyed out. I have selected
WiFi as an evidence source but I still cannot make a rule for it.
This is causing me a major headache. Any other type of evidence
source that I add seems to allow me to make a rule but not WiFi.

Prior to this issue I had problems with it not executing AppleScripts
on a context change but I was living with that problem. This one is a
much bigger issue.

Any ideas?

David Symonds

Jul 25, 2009, 2:14:55 AM7/25/09
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 4:24 PM, radesix<rad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been a MarcoPolo user for a long time and really can't see
> myself living without it.  However, today MarcoPolo seemed to have
> completely locked up on me.

It sounds like you've done all the right things to diagnose what's
happened. Have you changed your setup in any other way, such as OS X
upgrades, installing invasive pieces of software (anything from Little
Snitch to various haxies), etc.?

> I removed MarcoPolo from my login items, rebooted, and uninstalled the
> application.  I then trashed the .plist file in /Library/Preferences.
> I reinstalled the application (both 2.5 and the 3.0) beta.  No matter
> what I do I can't add a WiFi rule.  It's greyed out.

That occurs when there's no visible WiFi access points. If you have
the WiFi evidence source enabled, then it should find anything that
your system shows in the system WiFi drop-down menu.

Dave.

radesix

Jul 25, 2009, 8:31:24 PM7/25/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Dave

The only way I have changed my wireless network setup was to assign
static IP addresses to the Mac and a few other devices on my network
instead of letting everything be handled through DHCP. Airport and
every other wireless device in the house clearly sees my SSID. Mac
makes a connection to the internet just fine. It's just that i've
lost the ability to create a WiFi rule in MarcoPolo. Furthermore, In
the Airport menu I see countless other wireless networks from my
neighbors. So based on what you said about a rule being available if
WiFi networks are visible... then even if mine wasn't and others
were... I should still see the option to create a rule right? Even If
I go back to DHCP assignment on the Mac MarcoPolo still isn't seeing
any wireless ID's. Come to think of it...this problem cropped up
before this week when I changed over to static IP addresses.

However, you may be onto something with the "OSX Upgrades" idea. I
went to the WWDC conference the first week of June 2009 in San
Francisco and I am running the developer preview of Snow Leopard.
Apple has also delivered one subsequent upgrade to the developer
release which I successfully updated not long after the conference...
and another more recently that I have yet to allow the upgrade because
it also forces me to reinstall a new XCode and iPhone SDK which is
kind of a pain. Other than that... I don't use any snitch, firewall,
antivirus or other crapware on my machine that I would expect to cause
any problems.

It just seems that only MarcoPolo has lost the ability to "see"
wireless networks. I wish I could at least create the rule based on an
SSID that I specify (if not automatically visible). Then when the
rule is evaluated and the network could not be found then the
appropriate action could be taken. But then again, if the software
can't see it now... it probably couldn't see it during rule evaluation
either. Perhaps it IS some sort of incompatibility with Snow Leopard;
however, it was working just fine until I had to uninstall and
reinstall MarcoPolo due to the total lockup the other day. Maybe I
should go ahead and install the 2nd developer preview update.

If I can provide you any more details, logs, or configuration
information to help you troubleshoot this issue please let me know.
Your software is fantastic and really don't want to be without it. If
we can get this resolved I'll make a long overdue donation to your
efforts. I apologize for not doing so already. You often don't
realize how much you appreciate something until it's gone. That's
where I am at with MarcoPolo. I should have paid you for this a long
time ago. The most expensive competitor you list is $25USD on your
comparison chart. I can definitely donate that amount to get this
going again.

Shaun

David Symonds

Jul 25, 2009, 10:04:37 PM7/25/09
On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 10:31 AM, radesix<rad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, you may be onto something with the "OSX Upgrades" idea.  I
> went to the WWDC conference the first week of June 2009 in San
> Francisco and I am running the developer preview of Snow Leopard.

This is almost definitely the cause, and unfortunately I have no way
to fix it. MarcoPolo is using a private API to access the WiFi
information, and it appears that Apple has changed it in Snow Leopard.
I don't have access to Snow Leopard, so unfortunately there's nothing
I can do to fix it.

You said you've switched to using a statically-assigned IP; how about
using an IP rule? The IP evidence source is using a standard API, and
it should work fine for you in this situation.

Dave.

radesix

Jul 25, 2009, 11:41:47 PM7/25/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Dave

This is certainly an option but I am having a bit of difficulty
understanding exactly how to configure what I'm looking for with
confidence levels and rules etc. The SSID made one part of my rules
simple. Now I think it gets a bit more complex with confidence levels
and the lack of an SSID option. Perhaps you can help me set this
straight using IP rules.

When I plug my MBP into the network in the actual home office where
the desk is I use the "Home Ethernet" location. This location is now
configured assign a static IP of x.x.x.41 and set to switch at 100%
confidence. I have the Airport "on" but not connected to the wireless
network. I want to ensure that any traffic while plugged into this
location actually goes over the wire and not the air. Not having the
Airport connected to the wireless network gives me that level of
comfort. Often times I want to unplug the wired connection and go
downstairs. This is when I want MarcoPolo to detect that I'm no
longer at the wired location and auto switch over to the wireless
network. I have configured a "Home Wireless" location to use a static
IP of x.x.x.42. I have configured this to switch with 95% confidence
so as not to conflict with the Home Ethernet location.

The problem I'm having is that when I unplug the Eithernet cable it
switches to my default Verizon Wireless context, NOT the Home Wireless
location. I think this is because when it was in the Home Ethernet
configuration there was no Wireless IP assigned to the airport; thus
is doesn't detect when I unplug the cable. You can confirm or reject
my suspicion on this.

I also have a Mobile Ethernet and Mobile Wireless location which I
have configured to pull IPs based on DHCP. But I think I could get
those straightened out easily If I can figure out this main issue.
When I had the ability to default the switch to wireless based on the
presence of my SSID it was cake. I think I'm just having a bit of
trouble understanding exactly how the confidence levels and rules work
together. I have reviewed other posts surrounding this topic also.

The other alternative I have to work with is when I am at the physical
office desk I'm usually always plugged into an external monitor. I
have tried a monitor rule which works but I'd rather base it off
whether the Ethernet cable is plugged in or not and I would still have
the same problem with switching over to the wireless when I unplug the
monitor cable. No IP assigned for the airport when monitor/ethernet
is plugged in thus no switch to Home Wireless.

Also, I since I do have access to Snow Leopard is there any research
on can start working on for you on what API's you may need to switch
to so your app will work with Snow Leopard when it comes out? I'm
relatively new to Mac development myself but I'll help in any way I
can so your users can be ready for the upgrade.

Finally, I appreciate your quick responses!

Shaun

radesix

Jul 26, 2009, 1:26:08 AM7/26/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
David

Since you have made this open source (which is fantastic) I think i'll
try to poke around in your code and see if I can make this thing work
with Snow Leopard. I don't know anything about GIT and I have only
done a bit of iPhone programming but since I'm unemployed right now
and I'd like a challenge anyway I'll see if I can figure out how to
get the whole project downloaded and running in XCode 3.2 with Snow
Leopard and see what's up.

radesix

Jul 26, 2009, 3:02:10 AM7/26/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
David

I'm using the 2.5.1 code from Git because the 3.0 code seems to be
incomplete. I am building against the 10.6 SDK using XCode 3.2 In
WiFiEvidenceSource.m it fails at:

if ((err = WirelessAttach(&wctxt, 0)) != noErr) {
#ifdef DEBUG_MODE
NSLog(@"%@ >> WirelessAttached failed with error code 0x%08x", [self
class], err);
#endif

The message written to the console is:

WirelessAttach: IOServiceOpen error: e00002c7
2009-07-26 01:58:55.550 MarcoPolo[2878:7207] WiFiEvidenceSource >>
WirelessAttached failed with error code 0x88000ffd

It's about 2:00 AM here and I'm wiped out. Maybe this will help you
with something... otherwise i'll continue to dig this week.

radesix

Jul 28, 2009, 1:16:18 PM7/28/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
David

Regardless of whatever has happened to Apple80211 in 10.6 the
direction moving forward with Snow Leopard is a new public framework
called CoreWLAN. I can see the headers but there is no documentation
yet. I've seen reports of some sample code using the new framework
which I am trying to track down through the Apple Snow Leopard
forums.

I'll keep you updated as I make successful progress on MarcoPolo with
the new framework.

Shaun

David Symonds

Jul 30, 2009, 7:07:35 AM7/30/09
On 2009-07-29, radesix <rad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Regardless of whatever has happened to Apple80211 in 10.6 the
> direction moving forward with Snow Leopard is a new public framework
> called CoreWLAN. I can see the headers but there is no documentation
> yet. I've seen reports of some sample code using the new framework
> which I am trying to track down through the Apple Snow Leopard
> forums.

Okay, that sounds exciting, because it sounds like it will actually be
supported properly. Cool.

> I'll keep you updated as I make successful progress on MarcoPolo with
> the new framework.

Excellent, thanks for doing this.

Dave.