The Importance and Pleasure of Reading By Mwalimu J.K. Nyerere

Marafiki wa Vitabu

Oct 9, 2009, 6:19:49 AM10/9/09
to Marafiki wa Vitabu - Friend's of Books
The Importance and Pleasure of Reading
By Mwalimu J.K. Nyerere

[Opening Printing Works and Books Warehouse, Arusha, 29th November
1965]
Excerpt from Nyerere on Education, Volume II, Edited by Elieshi Lema,
Issa Omari and Rakeshi Rajani, published by Haki Elimu and E & D
Limited.

…Now let me confess to a special pleasure that is a book store and
book printing works which we are today opening in Tanzania. Book
production is economically important to us. We spend a lot of money on
education and greater number of necessary books which can be printed
and published within the country, the less will be in the short-term
cost in investment in people. We shall save foreign currency if our
schools can be supplied with books which are printed here. When we pay
for these books we shall also be paying wages to our own people and
thus promoting further development within our territory rather than
abroad. These are important factors and it was not without design that
the Government, in Mr. Curtis’ words, dropped ‘certain broad hints’ to
the printing company to encourage them to expand their operations in
this country.

At the same time I have to admit to a personal pleasure at the thought
of a good book production taking place in our country. Stored in books
is accumulated knowledge of man and the earth he lives in, as well as
the literature of different civilizations. In time I hope that our own
African traditional stories and cultures will also be fully available
in this form, and I was pleased to hear Mr.Moshi say that new books
are being encouraged on these subjects. But in the meantime the books
which are available can teach us, can inspire us, or can refresh our
minds with pleasure of good story well told. Books can break down the
isolation of our lives and provide us with a friend wherever we may
be.

I think we have to try hard in Tanzania to cultivate literate
citizens. It is a fact which we must recognize, that in dealing with
modern world, children in Europe have two advantages over our
children. One is the familiarity with mechanical things; the other,
and perhaps even more important one, is familiarity with books. Too
often in our society a person who sits down to read is accused of
being lazy or being unsociable. This attitude we must change. When we
get to the position where a man and his wife sit together in the
evening each reading or reading to teach other, and when children are
encouraged to learn out of school by reading books which are easily
available, then we shall have made a big break-through in our
development….

There are many ways which we can celebrate and honour life of Mwalimu
Nyerere. I am doing so by reflecting and promote literacy. For today,
let reflect on Pleasure of Reading (RP). Almost everyone understands
the importance of reading in life, in the excerpt above Mwalimu says:
“Stored in books is accumulated knowledge of man and the earth he
lives in, as well as the literature of different civilizations”.

Through reading, one can acquire knowledge which can and should be
used for personal and society development. Knowing the importance of
education and reading, Mwalimu made them one of central pillar in his
development policies. But Mwalimu is expressing a bit of different
point of view which is the Pleasure of Reading. Normal we miss this
point of view when we advocate for literacy and reading. “Reading for
pleasure refers to reading that we to do of our own free will
anticipating the satisfaction that we will get from the act of
reading. It also refers to reading that having begun at someone else’s
request we continue because we are interested in it. It typically
involves materials that reflect our own choice, at a time and place
that suits us”. (Clark & Rumbold ,UK National Literacy Trust 2006).

Research proves that RP contributes to among other things: improving
skills on writing, grammar and text comprehension, vocabulary. It also
improves our thinking and communication abilities. One factor for
success of reading for pleasure from childhood is availability of
Print-Rich Environment, this means people can get a book or anything
which they like reading. Readers should have wider range of choice as
people have different taste when it comes to reading.

My call for honoring Mwalimu’s life, let’s create Print Rich
Environment and make reading a family and community activity.
Mwalimu, what was buried 10 years ago was your body but your ideas and
philosophy lives forever.
We remember and miss you!!
Adam
Rafiki wa Vitabu