Book launch of The Book of Dar, Thursday 5 Nov 2009

Adam Foya

Nov 3, 2009, 1:36:40 AM11/3/09
to marafiki...@googlegroups.com, Luiana Makundi, Dafroza Sanga

This email was sent by Chambi Chachage through Wanazuoni Network.

Again, our good stories has been told by Belgian and Dutch, people. I respect their capacities and creativity and take it as a personal challenge to start writing on our stories.

The Book of Dar

The Book of Dar is a photographic book of one of Africa ’s largest most vibrant cities. It simply tells the story of daily life in Dar es Salaam and, through the lens, portrays strong images of the country’s rich history and lively blend of traditional cultures and immigrant communities. The book is the result of a journey of discovery for two photographers living inDar es Salaam. It is an impression of this diverse city, as seen through their lenses.

Every day life for Dar es Salaam’s four million inhabitants is captured in a varietyof ways: from umbrellas providing shade from the hot African sun for young andold, the traditional dhows meandering along the coastline, the numerous colourful kangas and kitenges traditionally worn by Tanzanian women, the long line of ships awaiting their turn to enter the port, to people drinking tea or coffee on the corner of the street.

The images provide a snapshot of life in different municipalities of Dar esSalaam. The typical elements of and the differences between these districts clearly show that Dar es Salaam is a cosmopolitan city and a melting pot for a variety of cultures. The photos of each municipality express the city’s diversity through ethnic and religious backgrounds, through architecture and daily street activities. Anyone familiar with the city will recognize or remember something of the situations depicted. Anyone not yet familiar will be tempted to visit soon.

Facts:

Authors/Photographe rs: Indra Struyven ( Belgium ) and Sasja van Vechgel (The Netherlands)

Book launch :

Date: Thursday 5 November 2009

Venue: Nafasi art space, Mikocheni (see map attached)

Time: 6-9pm

Exhibition remains opens:

6 Nov 9am-5pm

7 Nov 9am-2am

--
Rachel Kessi
Mawazo gallery

__._,_.___

Attachment(s) from Chambi Chachage

1 of 1 Photo(s)

Map

1 of 1 File(s)

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Search

Find it now

Everything you

need in one place.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Yahoo! News

Get it all here

Breaking news to

entertainment news

.

--
Adam Jackson Foya
Mobile: +255 713 764 782

"As much as you critical, be constructive"