Why has US-Pacific.map grown from 661 megabytes to 4.9 gigabytes

Dreamer of Pictures

May 17, 2021, 3:49:31 PM5/17/21
to mapsfo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I see that the US regional maps were updated in April 2021. The US-Pacific.map grew as stated in the subject line, from July 2020 to April 2021. Why?

Dreamerofpictures

Ludwig

May 17, 2021, 8:37:27 PM5/17/21
to mapsfo...@googlegroups.com
Good question, I, the person who produces these maps for the mapsforge download server, do not know.

The v4 version was still at a more reasonable 728MB when it was last produced, while the v5 version clearly has ballooned.
The maps get regularly made, but the largest ones often fail with OOM errors because the production conflicts with other processes running on the server. This is certainly the reason why the v4 version was last produced in September 2020.

What could be the reason? It could be that some huge polygons or a large number of new polygons were added to OSM during the time period in question.

Clearly some of the maps are getting a bit unwieldy: too big to produce efficiently on the server and not really practical for download. But we source our polygons from geofabrik.de, so unless someone volunteers to make (and maintain) new, smaller, areas, we only have the option to drop certain regions.

Ludwig

Emux

May 18, 2021, 3:08:34 AM5/18/21
to mapsfo...@googlegroups.com