Mapping idea for Columbia Heights Initiative -- businesses for rent, mural spaces, abandoned buildings

Andrew Wiseman

Mar 9, 2017, 2:14:26 PM3/9/17
to mapp...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I was just meeting with the head of the Columbia Heights Initiative, which does various community projects in the area, they also run the new Columbia Heights-Mt. Pleasant Main Street program and plan to do more work for local businesses.

She had some mapping ideas, in particular finding where there is commercial/retail space for rent, where there are blank walls that could be good for murals, and where there are abandoned buildings.

The first they'd share with local businesses or entrepreneurs who wanted to expand or find space, because otherwise they have to call lots of various realtors and buildings to ask, for the second they have funding and artists who want to do murals but not a good sense of where to do them, and the third they could use to advocate with the city or contact the owners to see what's going on.

Maybe we could do a mapathon to collect this info? It could be along with a regular street survey type activity.

Here's more about the group, and also a map of the area they cover -- mainly the commercial streets in those areas: a few blocks of Park, 14th, 11th, Irving, Kenyon and Mt. Pleasant

Andrew

--

600,000 DC residents don't have a vote in Congress -- http://www.dcvote.org/

Brian DeRocher

Mar 9, 2017, 6:46:49 PM3/9/17
to mapp...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a plan. What date did you have in mind?

Brian
http://derocher.org/~brian
http://mappingdc.org

Andrew Wiseman

Mar 10, 2017, 12:12:35 PM3/10/17
to mapp...@googlegroups.com
No date yet, but I am open! I can talk to her and see what she thinks.

Andrew

Kate Chapman

Mar 10, 2017, 12:23:14 PM3/10/17
to mapp...@googlegroups.com
If this date happens to be in 2 weekends I'd love to help. (and steal the idea for Portland)
Kate Chapman
Twitter: @wonderchook Skype: kateachapman
U.S. mobile: +1 703 673 8834

Andrew Wiseman

Mar 29, 2017, 1:14:10 PM3/29/17
to mapp...@googlegroups.com
Hey all, just talked with them, they're definitely interested. They also wanted to collect vacant and abandoned buildings to use the share that info with small business owners looking for space.

How about this weekend or the next? Maybe 14th Street from Spring to Irving, or Georgia Avenue from about New Hampshire to Columbia? Doesn't have to be a huge event, could just be whoever shows up and do so Field Papers work.

Andrew

Steven Johnson

Mar 29, 2017, 3:53:01 PM3/29/17
to mapp...@googlegroups.com
This Sat, maybe. Next week definitely out for me, as I'll be at EdCampMetroDC. Ginia Avery might be interested, too.

-- SEJ
-- twitter: @geomantic
-- skype: sejohnson8

Wretches, utter wretches, keep your hands from beans! - Empedocles, Fragments, 141.

Andrew Wiseman

Mar 29, 2017, 5:19:08 PM3/29/17
to mapp...@googlegroups.com
Sure, Saturday everyone? Say 1 pm at the Columbia Heights Metro?

I think we can do 14th Street from Irving to Spring, and if people are feeling energetic, do part of Georgia Avenue. There are a few coffee shops in that area to do the data entry, maybe the Couple at 11th and Monroe would be a good option. I can print out Field Papers for that area.

To me this isn't a full street survey, just adding missing businesses, vacant buildings and buildings for rent, big blank walls that might be good for murals, and that's it!

Andrew

Steven Johnson

Mar 29, 2017, 6:41:23 PM3/29/17
to mapp...@googlegroups.com
Cool, I'll reach out to Ginia.

--SEJ

Sent from my electronic tether.

Brian DeRocher

Mar 29, 2017, 6:55:00 PM3/29/17
to Andrew Wiseman, mapp...@googlegroups.com
Go go go. I'm picturing an army of mappers unloading from ubers and racing down the street with GPS and lasers.

Create the event on Meetup. Blast it out with social media.

Brian

Andrew Wiseman

Mar 29, 2017, 6:56:48 PM3/29/17
to Brian DeRocher, mapp...@googlegroups.com
Will do!

Andrew

Mikel Maron

Mar 29, 2017, 10:50:33 PM3/29/17
to mapp...@googlegroups.com, Brian DeRocher
Exciting! Look forward to seeing the meetup announcement -- will share at Mapbox, see if anyone wants to cut some OSM teeth on this

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

Andrew Wiseman

Mar 30, 2017, 4:10:15 PM3/30/17
to mapp...@googlegroups.com, Brian DeRocher
Hi all,

Here's the Facebook event!

Mapping event on Saturday! We're helping the Columbia Heights Main Street organization identify vacant commercial space, places where murals could go, and vacant buildings! Meet at the Columbia Heights Metro on the Potbelly side at 1 pm! https://www.facebook.com/events/397579677293791/

Hope to see some folks there! If not this week, we'll do more, the Columbia Heights Main Street covers a number of areas, and the Georgia Avenue Thrive group is interested in a similar idea.

Andrew

PS - if someone has the Meetup password, please send to me

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Mikel Maron <mikel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Exciting! Look forward to seeing the meetup announcement -- will share at Mapbox, see if anyone wants to cut some OSM teeth on this

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 6:56 PM, Andrew Wiseman <awis...@gmail.com> wrote:

Will do!

Andrew

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:54 PM Brian DeRocher <br...@derocher.org> wrote:
Go go go. I'm picturing an army of mappers unloading from ubers and racing down the street with GPS and lasers.

Create the event on Meetup. Blast it out with social media.

Brian
Brian
http://derocher.org/~brian
http://mappingdc.org
--

600,000 DC residents don't have a vote in Congress -- http://www.dcvote.org/

Steven Johnson

Andrew Wiseman

Apr 1, 2017, 12:50:49 PM4/1/17
to mapp...@googlegroups.com, Brian DeRocher
Hey all, I'm at Kinkos printing, be there right around 1!

Andrew

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mappingdc.

600,000 DC residents don't have a vote in Congress -- http://www.dcvote.org/

Andrew Wiseman

Apr 5, 2017, 5:46:33 PM4/5/17
to mapp...@googlegroups.com, Brian DeRocher
Hi all,

We had a nice mapathon on Saturday! It was myself, Steven Johnson, Dan Joseph from the Red Cross and a new mapper, Leila Kalaban. She recently moved from Lebanon and heard about our event via Meetup, but had done a bit with OSM before. Dan brought an awesome 360 camera and he and Steven did Mapillary (DIY street view images) for the street. We went up 14th from Irving to about Spring and added or updated a lot of points, and found about 10 vacant storefronts, plus a few good spots for murals -- which was the goal for the Main Street group to use. We also updated lots of other businesses along the street.

Here's the map (a work in progress) or what we found. Mouseover the dots to show the names or addresses of the buildings:

It was a lot of fun, and we plan to do this more soon for the rest of the streets that are covered by the Columbia Heights/Mt. Pleasant Main Street organization, which are Mt. Pleasant Street NW and parts of 11th, Irving, Park and Kenyon Street NW.