It’s MapUp time! be a MapUp host :)

Moshiur Rahman Masud

Sep 11, 2013, 1:10:25 AM9/11/13
to mappingb...@googlegroups.com

It’s MapUp time!

Captionless image

After meeting with Mapping Bangladesh, Google team re-opening their MapUp request form of season-1 for more 2 days (September 12 and 13). Request support for your MapUp via this form. Who ware already requested for MapUp, complete the new form again.

A MapUp is an event in which a group of people come together to improve the places they know and love on Google Maps by using Google Map Maker. It’s usually lots of fun, see for example #GsaMapAfrica for photos from last year’s MapUps by the Google Student AmbassdorsGSAs in Sub Saharan Africa. It’s simply another opportunity for you to leave your mark on the internet as a Google Community Member!

It’s a great idea but how does it work? What should I Map ?

Hosting a MapUp is much easier than it might seem! Checkout the global MapUp guidelines here for details.

During a MapUp event, you can:

  • map your entire university - halls of residence, ATMs, hospitals, academic blocks, classrooms, etc!

  • if your university is already totally mapped, then you can to map surrounding educational institutions such as primary schools, secondary schools, ICT centers, and restaurants, hospitals or anything near the neighborhood of your university such as small businesses

We are having one country ( TBC) pilot this Mapping local businesses this month. We hope we/ the pilot GBG can share its insights with you beginning of September so you would have plenty of time until your MapUp to incorporate their suggestions !

What are the requirements to be a Map Up Host Organizer ?

  • Have some experience with MapMaker (minimum 25 edits done on MapMaker )

  • Be over 18 years old

So, what’s my role as a MapUp Organizer?

You will

  1. be the host of the MapUp!

  2. Request support for your MapUp via this form

  3. select no more than 30 students/attendees and train them for a couple of hours on Map Maker before they can participate in the MapUp

  4. hold the MapUp event - could last from a few hours a day to a number of days in a week

    What you need to conduct a meetUp :

- laptops (usually participants have to bring their own)

- internet

- up to 30 participants

When to conduct a meet up / when to request :

There will be 3 MapUp seasons per year

- SEASON 1  October 1st/ November 17th : Sign up on Thursday and Friday (September 12 and 13)

- SEASON 2 February 1st / March 31st : Deadline to sign up: December 31st

- SEASON 3 June 1st /July 31st :  Deadline to sign up: April 30th

Please only submit for Season 1 for now, we  will remind you when to sign up for Season 2 & 3,

Where to conduct your MapUp ?

- at your usual Meet Up location

- at a university/school computer lab

- internet cafe

- a place with strong internet connection

How will Google help me ?

If your proposal is approved we may provide you with:

  • funding to cover light refreshment during the MapUp event and internet where necessary

  • Swag - Map Maker branded t-shirts, stickers, etc

  • training materials

  • Sample agenda

Process Summary

  1. Ensure you did  > 25 mapping edits on MapMaker

  2. Submit your request for support via this form

  3. By end of August , you will be noticed if your request is approved or not.

  4. In the approval email, you will receive detailed steps and training resources

  5. Plan & Host your MapUp

  6. Report your event through the usual  GBG report form & gain points ! :)

Some Resources to get you started

Google Map Your World Community

Google Map Maker YouTube Channel

Videos: Overview, Add a Place, Review)

Saad

Sep 11, 2013, 1:15:19 PM9/11/13
to mappingb...@googlegroups.com
Last time (Most probably in May) I gave a proposal to host a MapUp in my University. Later Bro. Tanzil contacted me via email and told me to keep going on. And I talked to my university authority. Everything was going to the right direction. I needed a proposal letter from Mapping Bangladesh. Bro. Hasan Shahed called me and asked me when I can collect it from him.
But suddenly in the next day I got a mail from Bro. Avijit that my map up request is not acceptable as Google Bangladesh wants to host a MapUp by themselves in my University. So I quit my effort to host that mapup. Then already 3-4 months have gone no MapUp has been arranged.

As I was almost done with my university's authority they were asking me when I'll forward them the proposal letter and whats the next update blah blah bla....
But after getting that mail I was totally in a hazy situation that what to tell them. Cause no one clarified me when Google Bangladesh will arrange them and so on.....

So, is there any plan to host it now or not?

Moshiur Rahman Masud

Sep 12, 2013, 1:30:26 AM9/12/13
to mappingb...@googlegroups.com
MapUp request form is now open for today & tomorrow (Thursday and Friday, September 12 and 13) via this Form. Please fill up this form for hosting MapUp for SEASON-1  October 1st/ November 17th, 2013.