Time sensitive feature

Mario Teklic

Nov 11, 2019, 8:01:45 AM11/11/19
to mapnik
Hey guys,

we study at the htw berlin (university of applied sience) and we're currently working on a project with the mapnik.

our task is to make the mapnik time sensitive.

time sensitive means: you can add a specific date and, the map only displays data (buildings, streets, ..) which exist at this time.

- i wonder if there is any interest in this feature?
- has someone already tried to implement a time sensitive feature?

Frederik Ramm

Nov 11, 2019, 8:16:45 AM11/11/19
to map...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 11.11.19 14:01, 'Mario Teklic' via mapnik wrote:
> time sensitive means: you can add a specific date and, the map only
> displays data (buildings, streets, ..) which exist at this time.

This not really a mapnik issue; you just have to make sure that the data
sources used by Mapnik have the right data for the time in question.

For example, if you have a set of shape files representing the data for
every one of the last 1000 days, then simply ensure that mapnik is
called with a style that uses the correct source and all is fine.

If your question is related to OpenStreetMap specifically, then it might
make sense to raise it on the OSM dev list
(lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/dev). You would need a special
database that can keep not just a snapshot but all history, and special
queries that can extract the situation for one particular date in the
past. This is not trivial because an object can consist of e.g. one way
and 100 nodes, and whenever either the way or any one of the nodes
change, the object also changes.

Here's a discontinued piece of software that tried to do this:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_History_Renderer

Bye
Frederik

--