FW: Sidewalk accessibility issue on NE 95th Street

1 view

Clara Cantor

Jul 27, 2021, 5:38:35 PM7/27/21
to maple-leaf...@googlegroups.com, neseattle...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks,

Anna Zivarts from Disability Rights Washington reached out to us about a particular section of missing sidewalk on NE 95th St near Lake City Way in front of Ryther, a youth services agency. One of their interns is a blind high school student who attends youth programs at Ryther, and is organizing a walk-through of this missing section of sidewalk with CM Pedersen in the hopes of getting funding for this section while also raising awareness about missing sidewalks on high-speed arterials and funding issues in general.

Is anyone interested in joining into this walk, or just keeping in touch with Anna on this campaign, or know someone who lives nearby who might be interested?

Be well,
Clara

FW: Sidewalk accessibility issue on NE 95th Street

External
Inbox

Anna Zivarts

AttachmentsWed, Jul 21, 9:40 AM (6 days ago)
to GordonClara
FYI, we’re going to see if we can push to get this piece of missing sidewalk built, and also use this to jump start the conversation around missing sidewalks (connecting it to the state funding issues as well).

If Greenways would like anyone from a local group on this walk-through, let me know!

Anna

A. Zivarts
She/they
Director, Disability Mobility Initiative<https://www.disabilityrightswa.org/programs/disabilitymobility/>
Disability Rights Washington
315 5th Ave S, Ste 850
Seattle, WA 98104
206.324.1521 x 242 (office)
an...@dr-wa.org<mailto:an...@dr-wa.org>

Follow @DisMobility on Twitter<https://twitter.com/dismobility> and Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/dismobility/>
Donate<https://www.disabilityrightswa.org/donate/> to support our organizing
Check out our #MobilizeWA Storymap<https://www.disabilityrightswa.org/storymap/>

From: Anna Zivarts <an...@dr-wa.org>
Date: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 9:36 AM
To: "Pedersen, Alex" <Alex.P...@seattle.gov>
Cc: "Willa...@seattle.gov" <Willa...@seattle.gov>
Subject: FW: Sidewalk accessibility issue on NE 95th Street

Hi CM Pedersen,

I wanted to give you the heads up that we’re going to start an advocacy campaign around a block of missing sidewalk on NE 95th street. One of our interns this summer is a blind high school student who attends youth programs at Ryther, which is a youth services agency located on that block. There’s a block of missing sidewalk between Ryther and the nearest bus stop, which makes it really difficult for our intern, as well as other youth and staff, to access the organization. (See the email below from Ryther staff, which includes a link to a video they made highlighting this problem).

We’d love to invite you to join us, staff from Ryther, our intern and other youth the program serves for a walk-through of this missing sidewalk. Is that something you could find time to squeeze into your schedule?

Thanks,

From: Ben Wahl <Be...@ryther.org>
Date: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 at 7:25 PM
To: Anna Zivarts <an...@dr-wa.org>

Dear Anna,

Thank you for your time on our recent call. I appreciate your advocacy efforts and your knowledge of these issues.

By way of review:
-Ryther serves hundreds of clients each year. Many of these clients and their families (as well as Ryther staff and volunteers) arrive to our campus via public transportation, specifically the Lake City Way and NE 95th street bus stop.
-There is currently a stretch of several hundred feet on the north side of 95th Street that has no sidewalk and pedestrians are forced to walk on 95th street, which is a busy arterial. This creates significant  safety issues.
-This stretch of non-sidewalk also specifically affects our clients with low vision or mobility challenges.
Below is a video made by several of our clients and highlighting the advocacy work of Charlie Howe. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkqzmvbnfn7wq3f/SidewalkProject.mov?dl=0<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.dropbox.com%2fs%2fdkqzmvbnfn7wq3f%2fSidewalkProject.mov%3fdl%3d0&c=E,1,jyLrrnOadXjbtXOWyCWpKCWJgEy5QT_MVo_XJso8Eze_AS8p8Tit2cJ1q9zPI-oY0JbnruHSCV7zeJXo2Wa7jf3Mcuc2B5gaj2aFJZSa12tkL7_kLmxs&typo=1>

Thank again for your incredible advocacy work throughout the region.

Sincerely,

[cid:image0...@01D77E14.552FA330]<http://www.ryther.org/>

Ben Wahl, MSW

Founder/Strategic Initiatives. Aspiring Youth Program
www.aspiringyouth.net

Our annual community event:
www.neurodiverseNW.com<http://www.neurodiverseNW.com>

Our partnership to support independent living:
www.thriveseattleliving.com

"That even as we grieved, we grew
That even as we hurt, we hoped
That even as we tired, we tried"
-Amanda Gorman

p 206.517.0222

be...@ryther.org<mailto:be...@ryther.org>

Main Office
2400 NE 95th St, Seattle, WA 98115
p 206-525-5050 | f 206-525-9795

[cid:image0...@01D77E14.552FA330]<https://www.facebook.com/followryther/>[cid:image0...@01D77E14.552FA330]<https://twitter.com/rythervoice?lang=en> [cid:image0...@01D77E14.552FA330] <https://www.instagram.com/rythervoice/>

This message and accompanying documents are covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, and contain information intended for the specified individual(s) only.  This information is confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, copying, or taking of any action based on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. Thank you.

--
Clara Cantor
she/her/hers

Community Organizer
Seattle Neighborhood Greenways

Dave Slager

Jul 27, 2021, 11:38:14 PM7/27/21
to maple-leaf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clara,

I'm local and interested. I believe this is in Debora Juarez' district as well -- although she usually doesn't seem very responsive.

Dave