Edit Node Glitch

jcoleman...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2021, 11:46:09 AM7/16/21
to MapInfo-L
I have just ran into a strange scenario that I would like to know if anyone has ever had.  If so, was a "fix" ever found?  This is being done in v15.03 32 bit.

I have a new guy drawing polylines that we then split into lines at each node.  Been doing this for many years with no issue.  However, when the new guy tries to move a node of one line segment, it will reshape both line segments where the split occurred.  In the browser, it definitely shows as individual lines/objects.  I even ran the disaggregate tool, but that doesn't work.

Now the really strange part.  If I log him off and log in as myself on his computer, the node edit works just fine.  Another guy opened the workspace on his computer and the node edit worked fine for him too.  It seems to be some sort of visual glitch on a user level, but I can't seem to figure out why.  I actually saw the same thing happen yesterday with yet another new guy that was editing something I drew a year ago and thought it was a one-off glitch until today.  The only fix yesterday was to delete one of the lines and redraw after reshaping the one that needed to be edited.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Jul 17, 2021, 4:42:50 AM7/17/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
This is a much used feature in MapInfo Pro.
You can control if nodes in the same layer are moved together or not via a preference under Map Preferences, Editing.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer

Den 16. jul. 2021 kl. 17.46 skrev jcoleman...@gmail.com <jcoleman...@gmail.com>:

This message originated Externally. Use proper judgement and caution with attachments, links, or responses.

archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mapinfo-l/2f8fd7f1-97b7-402e-aaa0-ee0598bb84f3n%40googlegroups.com.

jcoleman...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2021, 8:10:24 AM7/19/21
to MapInfo-L
Thanks, Peter.  In all my time using MapInfo, I have never needed that setting, so I didn't know it was there.  Strange that an older version now installs with different user settings though.  Thanks again.

David Sherrod

Jul 19, 2021, 12:35:26 PM7/19/21
to MapInfo-L
Not to beat a dead horse but instead perhaps deepen the conversation a wee bit.

The option to Move Duplicate Nodes In--->None of the layers OR The same layer . . . has always been helpful when editing polygon boundaries that share sides. Without it, one must move a node and then move the underlying node, snapping the  latter to the new node position.  Move Duplicate Nodes resolves the effort into a single step.

That said, the option is buried deep in the interface's access structure, or certainly is for pre-version 15 Mapinfo.
Options->Preferences->Map Window->Editing->Move Duplicate Nodes In:

A useful MB shareware tool (not mine) allows a user to toggle between the two options by keystroke instead of threading that tortuous path enroute to success. The choice to move duplicate nodes (or not) arises numerous times during node editing, so the tool's simple method can be a real timesaver.

Though not recalling the tool name at this time (it's probably "Move Duplicate Nodes"), it could be dug up if users are interested.

jcoleman...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2021, 1:28:16 PM7/19/21
to MapInfo-L
That is good to know, Dave.  I will look for that tool.  Now that I know about the setting, it is already becoming useful.  Will be even better if I can toggle it.  Thanks!

David Sherrod

Jul 19, 2021, 4:08:55 PM7/19/21
to MapInfo-L, jcoleman...@gmail.com
MoveDuplicateNodes, MB and MBX, attached.

It'd take a bit of sleuthing to uncover the history and author, to whom I've always been grateful.

MoveDuplicateNodes.MB
MoveDuplicateNodes.MBX