Can anyone help in plotting a point (in NAD83) onto Google Maps

Nick

Aug 18, 2021, 11:13:23 AM8/18/21
to MapInfo-L
I am working on plotting point data on a Google Map.

My source data points are in projection Latitude/Longitude NAD83.  An example data point is:  40.347742,-79.898942 (shows up accurately in DRAVOSBURG in image below)
Dravosburg-Capture.JPG

Google Maps was using Mercator projection (flat-base map) and then upgraded to displaying the Earth round and using a newer projection in recent years.

My question: Does anyone know of a way to get my point coordinates above to be accurately ported into the correct projection so that it is plotted on a Google Maps web control accurately?  As you can see in the image below, the same coordinate values plotted on a Google Maps web page; however, the same coordinates show up in the adjacent borough West Mifflin.

On-Google-Maps-WestMifflin-Capture.JPG

If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.

Mendum, Keith, Vodafone

Aug 19, 2021, 5:48:08 AM8/19/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Have you tried saving a copy of the table using the coordinate system used by Google Maps?

Alternatively, if you are producing a KMZ/KML file, is there a choice of CRS in the export dialogue? If not you may need to change your workspace defaults to the EPSG for NAD83 that is appropriate for your locality.

My business has a similar problem where the CRS for the Great Britain data (EPSG: 27700) does not project accurately in Northern Ireland when we use Google Maps.

Regards,

Keith

C2 General

CYBER SECURITY WARNING: This email is from an external source - be careful of attachments and links. Please follow the Cyber Code and report suspicious emails.

I am working on plotting point data on a Google Map.

My source data points are in projection Latitude/Longitude NAD83.  An example data point is:  40.347742,-79.898942 (shows up accurately in DRAVOSBURG in image below)

Google Maps was using Mercator projection (flat-base map) and then upgraded to displaying the Earth round and using a newer projection in recent years.

My question: Does anyone know of a way to get my point coordinates above to be accurately ported into the correct projection so that it is plotted on a Google Maps web control accurately?  As you can see in the image below, the same coordinate values plotted on a Google Maps web page; however, the same coordinates show up in the adjacent borough West Mifflin.

If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.

archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mapinfo-l/d1fe3267-8eda-4aed-a5d9-4752b1acb66en%40googlegroups.com.

Nick

Aug 19, 2021, 8:53:17 AM8/19/21
to MapInfo-L
UPDATE - I figured out what was going on for anyone that may read this thread in the future.  The answer is solely within the Google Maps JavaScript API.

I know I know this is a MapInfo forum, but I still felt I should post the answer.

By default, the "Google Maps Geocoder" which is part of their API, is natively plotting that latitude/longitude point where it is on the map.  This was being done because original design had us using Google Places API and there was built in code by Google to automatically plot those results on the map (using the Google Maps Geocoder API).

The issue is when using the "Google Maps Geocoder" native API object, there are several different points that Google makes on the map to determine where it "thinks" the point should be plotted (see image below).

Google Maps Geocoder Different Results Plotted on Map.png

All of these points (A thru H) have attribute "Types" to reference, and by default, the "Google Maps Geocoder" was using a point that was way off base from the direct latitude longitude values provided (and desired to be plotted on the map) in Dravosburg.

Hope this helps anyone that may come across this...