Base layer options beyond Bing?

Matthew Hirsch

Apr 29, 2024, 7:45:32 PMApr 29
to MapInfo-L
We are looking at using base layers within our maps and are not happy with Bing options.

We have played with some free layers such as ESRI's World Street Map, which is much better that Bing for showing streets on zoomed out maps, but the free layer is no longer updated and the new versions do not work outside of the ARC universe.

Note:  Bing's maps show more small town names rather than major streets as you zoom out.

Does anyone have any other solutions for base layers?    Paid or free is fine.
Can we purchase a google license for their mapping?

Thank you.
Matthew

Ian Bennett

Apr 30, 2024, 4:00:23 AMApr 30
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Matthew,

If you only require GB mapping then I can suggest 2 offerings from Ordnance Survey.

However if you want an open back drop you could try - https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/products/os-open-zoomstack. Unfortunately not an API and only goes to an approximate scale of 1:10,000 so the detail is good but may not be good enough for your requirements.

If neither of these work for you I would suggest speaking to Europa Technologies.

Ian

Apr 30, 2024, 4:09:44 AMApr 30
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Matthew,

At Southwark Council we subscribe to the ViaEuropa WMTS from Europa Technologies. You can see it here as the default base mapping in Southwark Maps: https://geomap.southwark.gov.uk/connect/analyst/mobile/#/main

Yes, it’s an extra cost but it does avoid any potential throttling restrictions that can come with extreme uses of the OS Maps API.

Come back to me if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart Carter

Geospatial Manager

Applications | Technology and Digital Service

T: 0207 525 5409

W: southwark.gov.uk

Southwark Maps

Historic map downloads

The email you received and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may be covered by legal and/or professional privilege and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.

If you have received this in error please notify us immediately.

If you are not the intended recipient of the email or the person responsible for delivering it to them you may not copy it, forward it or otherwise use it for any purpose or disclose its contents to any other person. To do so may be unlawful.

Where opinions are expressed in the email they are not necessarily those of Southwark Council and Southwark Council is not responsible for any changes made to the message after it has been sent.

Matthew Hirsch

Apr 30, 2024, 2:18:41 PMApr 30
to MapInfo-L
Thank you for your suggestion.   I forgot to mention I am in the United States.    That provider does not have coverage in the US unfortunately.
Matthew

Carter, Stuart

Apr 30, 2024, 2:47:44 PMApr 30
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Ah, yes. That would be a problem. As would the other suggestion of OS Maps API.

Thanks,

Stuart

On Tuesday, April 30, 2024 at 1:09:44 AM UTC-7 Carter, Stuart wrote:

Hi Matthew,

At Southwark Council we subscribe to the ViaEuropa WMTS from Europa Technologies. You can see it here as the default base mapping in Southwark Maps: https://geomap.southwark.gov.uk/connect/analyst/mobile/#/main

Yes, it’s an extra cost but it does avoid any potential throttling restrictions that can come with extreme uses of the OS Maps API.

Come back to me if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart Carter

Geospatial Manager

Applications | Technology and Digital Service

T: 0207 525 5409

W: southwark.gov.uk

Image removed by sender.

Joshua Knight

Apr 30, 2024, 8:33:00 PMApr 30
to MapInfo-L
Hi
The info here may assist you in adding extra ones