Combine region & islands

Umama Nasir

Aug 2, 2022, 9:13:04 AM8/2/22
to MapInfo-L
Hello,
I have a few regions I want to combine. Basically the first set of region are islands (let's call them A) which are contained entirely within the second set of regions (let's call them B).
I have a table with information on which region is contained within which other region.
For now, I am manually selecting each region, setting B as target, selecting the respective island and then using Object > Combine, I combine both. So now there is a region B and the island no longer exists.
However, since there are a lot of them, it takes a long time. I am looking for a way using which I can speed up or preferably automate the entire process.

Would be grateful for any help.
Thank you!

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Aug 2, 2022, 9:21:28 AM8/2/22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

If your table has a column with an ID on which elements to combine, you can use Combine Using Column.

This will combine all the records with the same name/id into a single record.

It might not keep the data from the “main” polygon in the same way it does when you set this as target.

If all your records hold the same data/attributes that should be a problem

You may have to create a copy of the table and afterwards join the two resulting tables keeping the spatial object from the copy and the attributes from the other table.

You can also make sure to create the result into a new table when you use Combine Using Column

Is there a way to identify what record is the main polygon?

Peter Horsbøll Møller

www.precisely.com

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer