MapInfo v11 speed vs MapInfo v19

Louise Kavanagh

Apr 28, 2021, 5:48:53 AM4/28/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,

I have a series of MapBasic programs that were originally written to run in MapInfo v11.  I have edited them to run from buttons on the ribbon in v19 but have noticed that they generally run approximately 50% slower in v19 then they do in v11.  Has anyone else experienced this?  If so is there a reason for the delay.

Thanks for your help.

Best wishes,

Louise

Louise Kavanagh

Managing Director

apogeelogo-rgb-halfinch

TwitterBird  louise....@apogeedata.co.uk | +44 (0)7736 438822

image005.jpg
image006.jpg

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Apr 29, 2021, 1:26:54 AM4/29/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Louise

Yeah, you are not alone with this issue, Louise.

It seems the nice and shiny Explorer window is to blame, at least to a certain degree.

It has been discussed in this thread on the Knowledge Community.

Here are some things that can improve the performance:

  • Close the Explorer window
  • Use the NoSelect keyword when running Select statements that do not require a Selection to be highlighted
  • Consider adding the Hide keyword to Select statements using NoSelect where the table doesn’t have to be visible to the end user

Here’s an example on how the NoSelect and Hide keyword can be used:

Select *
   From ....
   Into SomeQueryName NoSelect Hide

This article on the Community gives some general tips on improving performance in MapBasic applications.

But the three tips from above is what other users have found makes the difference when moving from 32-bit to 64-bit.

I hope this helps

Peter Horsbøll Møller

www.precisely.com

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer

May 4, 2021, 6:37:36 AM5/4/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Peter,

Closing the explorer window has made an improvement not only on speed but the amount of time a query takes to run is more consistent.

I am yet to try the NoSelect option but will see if it is applicable to the code.

Many thanks as always.

Best wishes,

Louise

Louise Kavanagh

Managing Director

apogeelogo-rgb-halfinch

TwitterBird  louise....@apogeedata.co.uk | +44 (0)7736 438822

Yeah, you are not alone with this issue, Louise.

It seems the nice and shiny Explorer window is to blame, at least to a certain degree.

It has been discussed in this thread on the Knowledge Community.

Here are some things that can improve the performance:

-         Close the Explorer window

-         Use the NoSelect keyword when running Select statements that do not require a Selection to be highlighted

-         Consider adding the Hide keyword to Select statements using NoSelect where the table doesn’t have to be visible to the end user

image005.jpg
image006.jpg
image007.jpg
image008.jpg