Forum Archive

27 views
Skip to first unread message

Zery

unread,
Sep 18, 2010, 4:01:34 AM9/18/10
to MapInfo-L
Dear Mods...

A few years ago i found an old archive for this forum (maybe before
hosted here) in TXT format, i think it was before 2006 archive, i
forgot where i found it. Is there a way i could have such an archive
(TXT format) for this forum after hosted in google. I want to read it
offline. I have tried the link in this main page, still it needs to be
online to read it.

Thanks
Zery

Bill Thoen

unread,
Sep 19, 2010, 6:23:06 PM9/19/10
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Have you gone to your personal account setting page? to get there form
the main MapInfo-L page click on "Edit my Membership" That brings up a
page where you choose how you want your mail handled. The choice of "no
email" is for those times when you'll be out of the office for awhile,
and you don't want mail,nor do you want to unsubscribe. Abridged email
means you just get summaries of all messages packed as a single email
that is sent to to you once a day. The next one (Digest) packs about 25
messages into a single email and sends these as each fills up. And
finally the last one is the default, which is that email will be
immediately sent to you as it arrives on the list.

If you've tried that, but you cant get mail sent to you than we need to
check if the problem is spam -blocking or an account setting something
like that.
--

*Bill Thoen*
GISnet - www.gisnet.com <http://www.gisnet.com/>
1401 Walnut St., Suite C
Boulder, CO 80302
303-786-9961 tel
303-443-4856 fax
bth...@gisnet.com

Zery

unread,
Sep 19, 2010, 6:26:11 PM9/19/10
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bill, I've allready done that, I'm using direct sent immediately, what I'm hoping is an archive from years ago, maybe when this forum started hosted here.

Regards,
Zery

Sent from my BlackBerry®
powered by Sinyal Kuat INDOSAT
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.To post a message to this group, send
email to mapi...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, go to:
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l/subscribe?hl=en
For more options, information and links to MapInfo resources (searching
archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en

DougWassmer

unread,
Sep 20, 2010, 1:29:15 PM9/20/10
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
FWIW - I have a MS Outlook folder containing 55,000+ entries only for this
group (and its predecessor?)dating back to September 2002. I know there are
many duplicates and other messages may be missing. It has to be a huge file
because of the occasional attachments. I would be happy to share this with
the group if there is interest and someone would instruct me on how to
extract the contents of this folder from the rest of my email and where to
post/send it.

Doug Wassmer
dwas...@pascomosquito.org

-----Original Message-----
From: mapi...@googlegroups.com [mailto:mapi...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Zery
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2010 6:26 PM
To: mapi...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [MI-L] Forum Archive

Thanks Bill, I've allready done that, I'm using direct sent immediately,
what I'm hoping is an archive from years ago, maybe when this forum started
hosted here.

Regards,
Zery

Sent from my BlackBerryR

Bill Thoen

unread,
Sep 20, 2010, 4:19:33 PM9/20/10
to MapInfo-L
On Sep 19, 4:26 pm, "Zery" <zery...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Bill, I've allready done that, I'm using direct sent immediately, what I'm hoping is an archive from years ago, maybe when this forum started hosted here.

Oh sorry, now I see what you're looking for. Yes I've got some of
those archives going back to the beginning when John McCombs and I
first set up MapInfo-L on Colorado SuperNet in the Fall of '94. John
was a MapInfo reseller I knew from the GIS-L forum who was in
Christchurch, New Zealand, and he and I cooked up this crazy idea to
start a MapInfo Internet forum that would be free and uncensored and
open to the world. So I set up the basic software for a message-
exchange list and John maintained and posted the logs as a
"digest" (non-essential envelope, headers and footers and sigs
stripped off. These assembled each month and were distributed as text
files wrapped up with pkzip. The subject line of each mesages was
printed at the top with the full message appearing in the body (This
is probably what you saw.)

I've got a few of the early ones that I'll dig up and post on my
website for you to download.

Gustavo Valente

unread,
Sep 20, 2010, 6:51:47 PM9/20/10
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
In Mapinfo has a tool for smoothing the polylines, but how I can do smooth polygons? There is some tool?
Thanks!!!
Gustavo

 

Zery

unread,
Sep 20, 2010, 7:35:33 PM9/20/10
to MapInfo-L
Hi Doug, i'd be very interest to have a copy of all those messages. I
don't know the best way to exctrat the messages but you could try to
do like this (i'm guessing you are using office 2007):

Create new outlook data files (.pst)
1. Tools-Account settings
2. Click "Add..." On Data files tab
3. Don't put any password on the new data files

Exctract the messages
1. Select your Inbox
2. Tools-Instant Search-Advanced Find (Ctrl-Shift-T)
3. On the messages tab type "Mapinfo-L" (without quote) in Search for
words field
4. Choose "subject field only" on "In" field
5. Click "Find now"
6. Copy the search result to the new inbox of the new outlook data
files.
7. Share the new outlook data files (.pst).

Hi Bill, you are right, it was distributed in a zip format, i found
the old archive back, it still available from directionsmag
http://www.directionsmag.com/pipermail/mapinfo-l/, but it only until
Nov-2006, i was hoping from Nov-2006 till now (google archive), from
the "About this group" link, i can see all the archive (monthly), is
there a way to convert it like what you did with the old ones? (just
incase if Doug didn't succeed). What is your website? i go to gisnet
didn't find any post about forum archive.

Regards,
Zery

Peter Horsbøll Møller

unread,
Sep 21, 2010, 3:32:59 AM9/21/10
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
>> he and I cooked up this crazy idea to start a MapInfo Internet forum 
>> that would be free and uncensored and open to the world.

Stupid idea - who would ever want to use such a thing :-)

Thanks for the back ground info, Bill. 
Amazing that this has been around for 16 years and still is running.

Could be fun to have a look at some of the questions from that time.
Wondering if people are struggling with the same issues now a days :-)

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Pitney Bowes Business Insight - MapInfo


2010/9/20 Bill Thoen <bth...@gisnet.com>

Mats Elfström

unread,
Sep 21, 2010, 4:57:38 AM9/21/10
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gustavo!

The line smoothing tool is only graphical, and no change is applied to the actual nodes of the object.
The smoothed line is computed to produce a visually pleasing figure, and the line will only by chance pass through the nodes of the stored object. Turn on nodes in the mapper window to observe this.

The same approach cannot be used for polygons, so there is no equivalent tool there. Using the same approach as for lines would make the borders for adjacent polygons twist and turn across each other randomly. 

Regards, Mats.E

2010/9/21 Gustavo Valente <glvale...@yahoo.com.ar>
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.To post a message to this group, send
email to mapi...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, go to:
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l/subscribe?hl=en
For more options, information and links to MapInfo resources (searching
archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en



--
______________________________________________
Mats Elfström, Väpplingvägen 21, SE-227 38 LUND, Sweden
tel: +46 46 145959 / mob: +46 70 595 39 35
alt e-mail: mats.e...@telia.com


Ti

unread,
Sep 21, 2010, 6:28:42 AM9/21/10
to MapInfo-L
Don't know if it helps, but there also seems to be an archive on
testdrive.mapinfo.com that runs from 1998-08-12 to 2009-05-14 (43842
messages):
http://testdrive.mapinfo.com/tdc/mapinfo-l.nsf

It'd be a bit of a job to download all of the messages, although with
a bit of tweaking something like DownThemAll! for Firefox should be
able to do the job: http://www.downthemall.net/

Ti.

On Sep 21, 8:32 am, Peter Horsbøll Møller <mapinf...@horsboll-

Zery

unread,
Sep 21, 2010, 7:17:29 AM9/21/10
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ti, it's the same link as in this group main page, I've checked, the true messages is only untill Nov 2006, the rest is ads.

I also have tried to download this group using winhttrack, but around 50 mb always makes the PC stuck.

Well I just wait for Doug kindness to copy his outlook archives. And I'm guessing it will be hundreds of megabytes.

Maybe some of you wondering why I was bothering myself and other members with this silly request, the reason is for me and maybe the rest of others that didn't have a good internet connection (gprs bandwith) is too hard to get online just to search a topic or two. As I'm in an area that didn't have good GSM connection. So because of this I was looking for other way to get the messages easy to access. How about if Doug share his hundreds of megabytes archived messages? Well I just go to the nearest internet cafe and get the copied.


Regards,
Zery

Sent from my BlackBerry®
powered by Sinyal Kuat INDOSAT

-----Original Message-----

Bill Thoen

unread,
Sep 21, 2010, 2:41:16 PM9/21/10
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Zery wrote:
Hi Bill, you are right, it was distributed in a zip format, i found
the old archive back, it still available from directionsmag
http://www.directionsmag.com/pipermail/mapinfo-l/, but it only until
Nov-2006, i was hoping from Nov-2006 till now (google archive), from
the "About this group" link, i can see all the archive (monthly), is
there a way to convert it like what you did with the old ones? (just
incase if Doug didn't succeed). What is your website? i go to gisnet
didn't find any post about forum archive.
  
I've posted some very old MapInfo-L archives going back to Oct 1995, (just about a year after we started MapInfo-L) in the Files area. The names are MI-L_Archives_1995.zip, MI-L_Archives_1996.zip and MI-L_Archives_1997.zip.

If you were lucky enough to have been part of the Internet revolution (or the very fast evolution) around 1994, the you'll realize why it's not  a complete set of archives. Things were happening so fast;  by 1995 the Internet was expanding visibly each day, and nobody had the time, disk space or inclination to record much of it for history's sake. Even the Wayback Machine and the Internet Archive are rather dark and not well covered until about 1996, when people started to wake up to the fact that History was happening all around them and somebody ought to be making notes. 

Inside these zip files are files with no extension, but just stick a .txt extension on them and you can read them with your favorite text editor. Some of the text formatting is out of control, but that's the way it was, and no, we didn't like it. That was one source of constant complaint, and it will look even worse today if you don't render it using a monospaced font like courier.

To put  the Fall of 1995 in context for you, here's a few tidbits. (Please correct me if I get any facts wrong. This is your chance to change history!)

o  MapInfo was on release 3-dot-something. Drawing from my swiss-cheese like memory I believe it cost around $800 then. Upgrade was about $95. From being unaware of the Internet in 1994, by the Fall of '95 they were up to speed with the  mapinfo.com domain name and a fairly impressive web site.

o  Windows 3.3 was filling up the dumpsters as the early adopters switched to Windows 95 (back then the 95 meant the actual year the software released.) Microsoft also released  "BOB" in 1995. But BOB never floated and sunk without bubbles.

o  Amazon.com had just opened up and was losing money hand over fist, but gaining market share.

o  AltaVista was the top search engine , but Yahoo  had just incorporated and received new funding, they were going to make some waves.

--

Bill Thoen
GISnet - www.gisnet.com

Zery

unread,
Sep 21, 2010, 8:18:52 PM9/21/10
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bill for the complete history lessons and the archives :-)

Me myself actually is a new comer in mapinfo, I first met mapinfo when it was v7.0. I couldn't comment much more. :-)


Regards,
Zery

Sent from my BlackBerry®
powered by Sinyal Kuat INDOSAT

From: Bill Thoen <bth...@gisnet.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 12:41:16 -0600
Subject: Re: [MI-L] Re: Forum Archive

Gentreau

unread,
Sep 21, 2010, 8:57:03 PM9/21/10
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

640kB should be enough memory for anyone…..

 

From: mapi...@googlegroups.com [mailto:mapi...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Bill Thoen
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:41 AM
To: mapi...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [MI-L] Re: Forum Archive

 

Zery wrote:

--

DougWassmer

unread,
Sep 24, 2010, 11:50:30 AM9/24/10
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

LISTERS:

 

I am sending my MapInfo-L Archive MS Outlook “pst” files to 4shared.com at this URL:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/M6OJYu3l/sharing.html

MapInfo-L correspondence for the years 2002, 2005 & 2010 (obviously) are incomplete, but 2003, 2004, and 2006-2009 appear to be intact. I have sorted them for duplicates using ODIR.

 

Except for 2002 & 2003, I have only posted files that I split using FILE SPLITTER & JOINER v3.3.  You can assemble the original MS Outlook “pst” file using the same tool which may be download from here:

http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=32805&t=4&i=1

 

I have also used QUICK PAR v0.9 to create 15% additional  Par2 files which can help you to insure that the various (.001, .002, .003, etc) pieces have been downloaded intact, and if not, will reconstruct them properly before joining them. I strongly recommend that you use this tool and the par2 files.  You may obtain a copy of Quick Par v0.9 here: http://www.quickpar.org.uk/index.htm

 

MY FREE 4SHARED ACCOUNT WILL EXPIRE IN 29 DAYS – so if you want these files – grab them now. You may have to sign up for a free account to download them. If you find any letters to my girlfriend or my banker mixed in with these MapInfo-L archives, please ignore/delete and don’t notify my wife! (LOL)

 

The best way to view these is with MS Outlook which will show all of the messages with attachments. Second best will be by importing them into MS Access which will retain the message dates but not the attachments (which are usually map basic files).

 

Have fun

 

Doug Wassmer

Zery

unread,
Sep 24, 2010, 7:49:03 PM9/24/10
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Doug, I'll go get them soon today.

Best Regards,

Zery

Sent from my BlackBerry®
powered by Sinyal Kuat INDOSAT


From: "DougWassmer" <dougw...@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:50:30 -0400
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages