Region / Areas that share nodes on neighbouring similar rectangular shapes

James Martin

Dec 24, 2020, 8:02:45 PM12/24/20
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
I have isolated garage structures on a basemap by querying the small area range for a sample of garages.

Can I query similar Regions / Areas that share at least one node on a neighbouring polyline for a neighbouring garage (Region / Area) as they can be offset forwards or back but still connected via the longer parallel polyline. This might be simpler than:

Extracting the coordinates of the 4 nodes and perhaps the distance between them and the centroid to isolate garage shapes better, as annoyingly there is considerable mapped range for the garage areas so using the sample area range, has captured many similar Regions / Areas that are not connected to others and are the wrong shape.

I would need to extract Regions / Areas with only 4 nodes first which I've never done before.

I am trying to isolate thousands of garage structures that a UK Local Authority has built over the decades. If I can fine tune this, I might be able to capture thousands of others that have been demolished but show up on previous versions of basemapping, and are now parking spaces.

Trying to prevent many hours of unnecessary manual mapping remotely or on site of garages and parking spaces on private land!

Cheers James Martin

Uffe Kousgaard

Dec 25, 2020, 3:46:02 AM12/25/20
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Query using the criteria objectinfo(obj,OBJ_INFO_NPNTS)=5, where OBJ_INFO_NPNTS=20.
You need 5 since the first and last node of a rectangle is the same.

Save as table garage and add field id, which gets assigned the value rowid().
Now make a copy called garage2.

Select * from garage, garage2
where garage.Obj intersects garage2.Obj and garage.id<>garage2.id

Finally do a group by on the id field and you should have a list of your garages.

Regards
Uffe Kousgaard
archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mapinfo-l/CAGsvgXEm7tjzJebDEvDbsw5ina7Wyn9ByPxMq5CLAbaac_2Fqw%40mail.gmail.com.