Problems with WFS refresh

Warren Vick

Jul 29, 2020, 4:30:25 AM7/29/20
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Tumbleweeds on this one on LI360, so I wonder if folk on the trusty old -L may be able to help…

I'm experiencing some difficulty using WFS services with MapInfo Pro and wondered if anyone had got it working in any practicable way? These issues are with v16 and v17 versions of Pro and I don't have access to later versions at the moment.

The WFS backs on to a database containing a large (many millions) of features so it's impossible for Pro to grab and cache the whole layer. I'm using the Row Filter option with "geom, BBOX, CURRENT_MAPPER" to restrict the data fetch to features in the current view. The data comes in and everything looks good so far. The service has a generous "maximum features per transaction" so we don't have any problem there.

When I pan the map to a new area, the WFS does not automatically refresh. This is fine as it’s not always desirable to auto-refresh (although it would be nice for Pro to have an option in a future release). Under the Table ribbon, there is a Web Services dropdown which contains "WFS Table Refresh". A dialog box appears, I select my single WFS and it appears to be fetching new data but my mapper window does not fill with new content. In fact, I believe it's just refreshed the same data from the original/previous view.

Under Web Services, there is also a "WFS Table Properties" option, which brings up a dialog similar to Open WFS Table. Clicking on the Row Filter button, I see it's changed to "geom, BBOX, Previous Selection", which seems to support my theory that it's refreshing the previous view. Putting this back to "CURRENT_MAPPER" results in the correct refresh. This is obviously not a very good process for someone wanting to get regular WFS content updates as they move around a map.

In the backstage area (Pro menu option), there is an option for Web Services and a tab specific to WFS. The first option is "Update Mapper Filters with Current Mapper", which (to me at least) means the "geom, BBOX, Current Mapper" row filter should be retained and the CURRENT_MAPPER bounding box values updated. This option, however, doesn't seem to change any behaviour that I've seen.

Has anyone got WFS (against a large service database) refreshing in a satisfactory manner? It doesn't seem to be working in a reasonable way so have I missed something?

Regards,

Warren

Mark Duffett

Sep 23, 2022, 12:55:25 AM9/23/22
to MapInfo-L
Did you ever get a satisfactory resolution?  I too am not getting refresh in a satisfactory manner, also cannot get any sort of character-based row select to work.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Sep 23, 2022, 2:03:03 AM9/23/22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi

There was a problem with the BBOX filter option for WFS 2.0 services. If you force the service to use WFS 1.0, you will be better of.

This has been fixed in v2021.

MapInfo Pro v2021 also introduced an Auto Update option for WFS layers.

This is a setting you set for the individual WFS table.

It has been discussed here on the community: MapInfo Monday: Web Service Improvements in MapInfo Pro v2021.

Mark, can you share some more details around your character-based query?

This should typically work. We have however come across a new WFS instance where our filter capabilities fail.

Peter

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer