Activating old versions of MIP

Matthew Hirsch

Sep 5, 2023, 2:21:18 PM9/5/23
to Digest recipients

Precisely refuses to activate 9.0 and keeps pushing new versions even though we have and use newer versions.

We need 9.0 for one specific process that runs three to four times faster on 9 than on any newer version.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Am I missing the magic words to get Precisely to simply activate a product we paid for?

Matthew

Nick

Sep 6, 2023, 10:24:02 AM9/6/23
to MapInfo-L
Matt,

I am still running MIPro v 17.0 (using my same initial license key S/N and Access Code) and do not have any issues.  Are you saying you lost your license key?

Also, I too have to keep v 17.0 around because of memory issues on all newer versions of MI Pro.
  1. I spoke with support at length in 2017 and 2018. I supplied code bases of the situation happening.
  2. I even was given internal MI Tech Support Bug #: "MIPRO-102490"
  3. They were hoping to have it fixed in v 17.0.2; however, that never happened, and I've never heard anything further since.
The new 64-bit version since that time are great for certain work; however, in my case, I have to keep MI Pro v 17.0 around in order to do legacy work without having MI Pro > v 17 crashing within minutes due to memory leaks.

The biggest thing support walked me through at that time was making sure I uninstalled all Mapinfo Pro versions.  Next, install the oldest version first and foremost, and then install the 64-bit later version second. That was a necessary step, and since doing that, I can at least have both versions running.

Let me know if you have any luck.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Sep 6, 2023, 11:04:24 AM9/6/23
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nick

I just looked up that bug of yours

It seems we did fix a number of leaks in the 2019.3 release of MapInfo Pro related to your issue.

Sorry if we haven’t gotten back to you on this.

Or maybe you have already tried and can’t see any improvement in performance?

Thanks

Peter

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer

Sep 6, 2023, 11:36:21 AM9/6/23
to MapInfo-L
Hi Peter,

Yes. I use the processes annually for work that needs done in November-December time frame.  And I actually mistyped in my earlier post, it is not version 17 it is actually version 15. I apologize for that because it does obviously make a difference.

Each year, when I use for example MI Pro v 2021.1 Release Build 33.....
  1. I launch my Windows console application
    1. Just initial launch of this having MI Pro instance launched starts the memory around 350MB...(versions before 64-bit this value was 60-75MB)
  2. During the processing, I am opening TAB files, manipulating geometry features (usually centerlines)
  3. Next, the process combines results into basically one feature object (instead of say 6 smaller features that make up the same centerline space)
  4. Once I run this for about 5-10 minutes, the memory scales from 350MB (start) to well over 900MB and by then it is only a matter of time within the next 30-60 minutes before it'll crash.
Therefore, I have to go back and remove my reference to MI Pro v 2021.1 Release Build 33 and add in a reference to MapInfo v15 (32-bit) and then re-run my process. The 32-bit version will never crash and finish the job in about 9-10 hours.

Perhaps you can give me some suggestions on what I can do to test trying to manage the memory better?
  1. The console application does show the map window a lot (even though the entire MI Pro instance is not being viewed by anyone because it is just doing the work)  Could the memory issue be showing/closing the map window within MI Pro?
I am open to any other suggestions you may have.

And, Matt I'm sorry, hopefully the support staff can find a way to help you out with getting v9.0 running again.

Matthew Hirsch

Sep 8, 2023, 10:47:49 AM9/8/23
to MapInfo-L
Nick,
I am trying to activate a paid for version 9.0 which Precisely has stopped supporting or activating.   We have the serial numbers and access codes for them.

We have newer versions and use them elsewhere, but 9.0 is the fastest for a particular process by an extreme margin.    We've tested every version from 10 to 19 and 9 is still the fastest.

I was hoping someone had a suggestion for activating a product we paid for but are now unable to use.
Thus far, support has continued with the "Upgrade to a newer version" line instead of understanding we have newer versions and need the older one.

Matthew

David Sherrod

Sep 8, 2023, 11:33:50 AM9/8/23
to MapInfo-L, mhi...@lmsg.co
I recently (well, a year ago) reinstalled v. 12 on a laptop, that version being more than sufficient for field work where my evening task was drawing polygons to make a geologic map. Besides, many of the pre-15 steps are still muscle memory that spares me from thinking about software mechanics.

It wasn't trouble.  Had the CD (is that the difference?), installed it, typed in the user code that came with the CD, et voila. I do recall there may have been a brief web visitation option to download v 12.5, or something like that, but I ignored that challenge.

So . . . I'm no help except to commiserate with you.

archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.

Andrew Harfoot

Sep 8, 2023, 11:51:04 AM9/8/23
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Does the process work in 8.5 - I only ask because it doesn't require activation, just a serial number?

Cheers,

Andy

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mapinfo-l/8a71dc83-53e5-4fc0-b5a5-f77dfe0683d1n%40googlegroups.com.

--
Andy Harfoot

Skype: gdi_ajph
Teams: aj...@soton.ac.uk
Phone: +44 2380 590566

GeoData Institute
University of Southampton
Southampton
SO17 1BJ

www.geodata.soton.ac.uk

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Sep 8, 2023, 4:13:44 PM9/8/23
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Matthew

Can you try doing an activation again?
We had some issues with the automated activation process recently

Peter Horsbøll Møller