Survey about GIS usage

Sergi Gàmiz Ribelles

Dec 28, 2022, 1:06:34 PM12/28/22
to MapInfo-L
Att. Administrator.
I would like to share a link to a short survey to gain a preliminary understanding of potential GIS user needs. May I post it in this forum?
Thank you.
SGR

Daniel Wiens

Dec 28, 2022, 2:20:24 PM12/28/22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
I use both GIS and GPS extensively for my precision farming needs.  I use both MI (the old version - MI8) and Global Mapper.  I have old mapbasic programs that Bill Thoen wrote for me over 20 years ago that I use extensively.  Rewriting the mb code for the 64 bit version will be expensive - so I need the 32 bit version.  The raster capability of 64 bit MI is still very weak.  So, for those needs, I use Global Mapper which has much better raster capability and with a price point at $599 and can be used in future years without the need for purchasing a license every year.  There are things (like labels) that Global Mapper won't do that 20+ year old MapInfo will do plus alot of other things as well.  Also, I can load MI8 on multiple computers. That is likewise an answer for cost issues.  MI appears to be following the lead of ESRI forcing the use of modules that need to be renewed yearly.  The old MI people weren't out for making the buck as much as the new people are.  It appears that I can load MI8 using WIndows 11 like WIndows 10 - although I haven't done extensive testing.  Global Mapper has a really good solution for using GPS in the field for soil and tissue sampling. Also converting to a multiple of different image and vector file types is something I use frequently.  So at this point, I'm stuck using 2 programs to accomplish my needs.  I hope this helps.

archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mapinfo-l/a4db7ca3-0270-4004-8e2b-d4cf86b38515n%40googlegroups.com.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Jan 2, 2023, 4:52:58 AM1/2/23
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Post away, Sergi

Peter

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer