Missing Explorer window

Phil Hutchinson

Apr 3, 2024, 6:05:10 PMApr 3
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
I fumbled some keystrokes and now I'm not seeing an explorer window.  I go to the Tool Windows button and select Explorer but nothing happens.  When the issue first happened, the explorer window undocked and became floating.  The map took up the whole screen.  I couldn't figure it out so I closed without saving the workspace expecting to be able to reopen and be back to normal but instead, now I have not Explorer window at all, floating or otherwise.  What have I done?  How can I get back to normal, with Explorer on the left side?

Thanks

orrb...@bigpond.com

Apr 3, 2024, 7:26:06 PMApr 3
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Phil,

Not sure if you have sorted this but here is some help I got a while back…

I believe this issue is caused by an invalid setting in the MapInfoPro.DockingState.xml

"C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\MapInfo\MapInfo\Professional\2100\MapInfoPro.DockingState.xml"
​​​​

Perhaps try exiting MapInfo and deleting this file then restarting

Cheers

Tom

archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mapinfo-l/CAAV3sL34C3A%3DbZfHMApheeFHy-wyk-VDsfv1%3DB35ei%3DARAsDVQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Phil Hutchinson

Apr 4, 2024, 10:22:13 AMApr 4
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tom.  I did what you said, deleted the file, and my Workspace looks more normal.  Explorer is docked on the left as usual, except it's not the explorer I'm used to seeing.  It has up/down arrows for Maps, Tables, Tile Server, Native, Shapefiles, Windows... but it doesn't have the layers with boxes where I can turn the layer off/on or double click to modify the layer and labels.  But it does say "Explorer" in the blue bar at the top.

I'm sure this issue is me not being educated on how to manipulate the explorer window and I appreciate any help.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Apr 4, 2024, 1:54:34 PMApr 4
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Phil

There’s a few things you can try to reset the Explorer window.

1. From the HOME tab, click on Options and then click on Application

Under Tool Windows you can Delete the Current State File. This would be similar to deleting the file manually as described by Tom

Personally, I have unchecked the option to save the state on exit. I prefer to do it using the Save Current Positions options.

Otherwise I will end up with my windows in all weird positions.

Not saving the positions on exit, allows me to close down MapInfo Pro and restart it and be back to my normal configuration.

2. Back on the Options tab, you can also click the Explorer (Preference).

This allows you to control which sections you want to have in the Explorer window.

Make sure all the ones you want are checked.

You can also try clicking the Reset Heights option to reset the heights on the sections in the Explorer window

I hope this helps

Peter

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer

Apr 4, 2024, 2:55:14 PMApr 4
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
It was the Reset Heights trick that fixed the problem.

Thank you very much.