Learning MapBasic

Phil Hutchinson

May 7, 2024, 6:13:34 PMMay 7
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
I've been using MapInfo for years but I'm not very sophisticated and have never learned MapBasic.  I have a routine to do where I'm creating 87 thematic maps.  The steps will be very repetitious.  Is this something I could automate in Mapbasic and if so, how hard is it to learn?

Tough questions, I know.  Thanks.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

May 8, 2024, 1:32:35 AMMay 8
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Phil

Yes, I’m sure you can automate that process.

A good starting point is to open the MapBasic window when you perform your tasks.

The MapBasic window will record the statements and you will be able to replay these too.

The trick now is to figure out a few places in those statements that refer to window ID or maybe a Layer ID that may change.

I have this article on the MapInfo Pro Developer community for people getting started with MapBasic.

And of course take advantage of the helpsome people here on MapInfo-L too

The WindowHelper tool has a few features around thematic maps.

Looking at the code for these may prove helpful too.

Check out the MapHelper.mb module.

Look for the Subs called MAPHMenuStaticTheme , MAPHThemeUsingCurrentStyles , MAPHMenuQuickThemeRangedLC and MAPHMenuQuickThemeIndividualLC.

But start opening the MapBasic window, performing your work and then looking at the code generated.

Peter

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer