Printing error

Peter Horne

Apr 21, 2021, 11:03:30 PM4/21/21
to MapInfo-L
Hi,
A recent problem has started when trying to print from mapinfo to our network printers. The illuminating error message "Cannot Print" appears on MI screen, and a blank page is processed through the printer. It may not be mapinfo's fault, but I'm not sure where to begin trouble shooting the problem? Same thing happening to another user in my office as well.
Was using V2019, now upgraded to V2019.3, problem persists.
Any help appreciated.
thanks Peter H

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Apr 22, 2021, 2:51:04 AM4/22/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Peter

Can you try changing your default printer in MapInfo Pro to a different printer than the Windows Standard Printer.

Does that help?

Peter Horsbøll Møller

www.precisely.com

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer

Apr 27, 2021, 7:36:23 PM4/27/21
to MapInfo-L
Thanks Peter, as luck would have it 2 of the 3 network printers have "expired" and we are waiting for replacement printers. I have tried with the 3rd operational printer and having no luck with what ever combo I set in the printer options (eg MAPINFO PREFERRED or WINDOWS DEFAULT). Also have set a few different default printer options with no luck as well. But I did stumble across something very strange, I can successfully print a stand alone MAP WINDOW regardless of any printers settings/options, but I still have the "CANNOT PRINT" issue when trying to print a LAYOUT.
Still confused
Peter H

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Apr 28, 2021, 2:15:31 AM4/28/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Peter

Have you tried changing your Windows Default printer to say a PDF driver through Windows.

And then in MapInfo Pro choose to use the Windows Default printer?

Do you create your layout from scratch or by using a template/workspace?

If you are using a workspace it might load some printer settings from the workspace.

You can try to disable “Restore Printer Information from Workspace”

Peter Horne

Apr 30, 2021, 12:19:12 AM4/30/21
to MapInfo-L
Thanks again Peter, but all to no avail.

As far as creating LAYOUTs, I usually create a map window first by opening some tables, then use the "Blank Template" from the NEW LAYOUT icon. Create a frame in the layout and insert the map window. Then I usually delete the map window and use the LAYOUT for both LAYOUT and Map Window purposes. Not sure there is anything too sinister in that process? Tried a combo of settings with the printer options in the workspace, but no cigar.

Resigned to the fact I will need to create PDFs or jpgs from layout then print to hard copy. I am starting to think (with absolutely no evidence mind you) there is some conflict between MAPINFO and the myriad of Windows/microsoft, etc, etc updates pushed out by IT dept to our computers. Incidentally running Windows 10, and Office 365 , But it is very odd that I can print a map window to hard copy , but not a layout

Thanks for the assistance
Peter H