Temporal Analysis

Louise Kavanagh

Sep 20, 2022, 5:53:11 AM9/20/22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

I have a dataset of buildings with a date column which is the date the building was constructed.  I would like the temporal analysis to show how the amount of buildings has increased over time.  The temporal analysis shows the buildings built within different time frames over time, i.e. the buildings built in 2018, followed by the buildings built in 2019, followed by the buildings built in 2020, etc.  What I would like it to show is the buildings built in 2018 then add the buildings built in 2019 and then the buildings built in 2020 so the accumulation of new buildings can be seen.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,

Louise

Louise Kavanagh

Managing Director

  louise....@apogeedata.co.uk | +44 (0)7736 438822 | Subscribe

image001.jpg
image002.jpg

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Sep 20, 2022, 6:27:25 AM9/20/22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Louise

I have done something similar, but with properties.

The trick is to change the Map Time Options to only use the End for the Query.

Peter

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer

Sep 20, 2022, 6:59:56 AM9/20/22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I made something similar to Peter's image to show time-sequential growth of a town by annexation.  Though built in GIS, the ultimate image was a composite as jpeg for use in Oregon Encyclopedia, so the time slices can't be turned on or off as they could on a GIS thematic map. The topographic map base is vintage 1919 because Oregon Encyclopedia has a history slant.

Presumably you seek a map rendition of the time series.  Would it be as informative to show instead a line graph (x-y plot),  X=date, Y=number of buildings?  Changes in slope of the graph are more readily recognized at a glance, where steepening slope corresponds to building booms, flattening slope to building quiescence.

Inline image

Louise Kavanagh

Sep 20, 2022, 10:37:40 AM9/20/22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Peter – I knew there had to be a simple way of doing it.

David – thank you for your idea regarding a graph to plot the increase over time.  Something I will certainly consider alongside the map.

Best wishes,

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.png