MapInfo 12.0 hangs on startup on multiple computers

DH

Jul 8, 2021, 10:43:38 AM7/8/21
to MapInfo-L
MapInfo 12.0 has been hanging on startup. The splash screen appears and four windows (Web Services, Drawing, DBMS, Main) show up on the taskbar and as solid black windows. Normally this happens for a fraction of a second, but they stay open seemingly indefinitely (12+ hours) and the main application window does not appear. The process uses zero bytes of network and disk I/O.

This started on Tuesday with one computer and Wednesday on a second computer. The second computer could run MapInfo 12.0 on Wednesday morning; neither has successfully launched it since Wednesday afternoon. Both computers can still run MapInfo 7.5 as usual. I don't currently have any other MapInfo 12.0 installations to test. A third computer can still run MapInfo 12.5. All of these installations share data files, but not preferences or configuration files. All are on 64-bit Windows 10.

KB5004945 is not responsible for the issue. Both computers received that update on Wednesday. There have been no other Windows updates to those computers since the beginning of the week.

I have tried running MapInfo in compatibility mode, running it as an administrator, removing all local config files from AppData\Roaming and AppData\Local, repairing the install using the disc, and completely uninstalling and reinstalling it (without deactivating the license). I have also run `sfc /scannow` and checked that the FlexNet licensing services are running. None of these has changed the program's behavior.

I understand versions before 15.0 are not officially supported on Windows 10, but any help in restoring previous functionality would be appreciated.

-- Daniel H

Michiel Zevenbergen

Jul 8, 2021, 11:01:51 AM7/8/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon,

I have the same issue with MapInfo 12.5 on a Windows 10 laptop 64 bits. However, MapInfo 12.0 on another machine (PC 64 bits with windows 10) is still launching and working normally.

Since I use the MapInfo 12.5 version to run reports that include graphs (which is not available in the V19 64-bits), it is important to me that I can keep the 12.5 version working!

As mentioned by Daniel H, I would be very greatfull if somebody can tell me how to make the 12.5 working again.

Michiel Zevenbergen

archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mapinfo-l/4dcb72b3-236c-4b1b-b99b-508e4aca867cn%40googlegroups.com.

--

Geodan Next

Michiel Zevenbergen

C/ Coruña 22

28450 Collado Mediano (Madrid)

Tlfno: 91 523 53 90

Móvil: 677 42 98 69

www.geodan.es

Roger

Jul 8, 2021, 11:49:15 AM7/8/21
to MapInfo-L
Hello,

I am having the same issue, Version 15.0, was working perfectly fine yesterday. Today it just won't work....
MIPro hanged.png
It stays like this..

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Roger Fraites
San Juan, Puerto Rico

Uffe Kousgaard

Jul 8, 2021, 11:53:25 AM7/8/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Start by upgrading to 15.0.3.
That one starts here.

Regards
Uffe Kousgaard

Roger

Jul 8, 2021, 12:04:22 PM7/8/21
to MapInfo-L
Hello Uffe,

I am current with my license support with Pitney Bowes/MapInfo/Precisely or the current name but had not upgraded because of the applications in MapBasic and the fear that once upgraded they didn't work.

Is this just and issue of old versions or something else?

Will appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Roger

Uffe Kousgaard

Jul 8, 2021, 12:16:01 PM7/8/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
15 or 15.0.3 shouldn't affect your mapbasic applications.
It is only a bug fix release.

You can get 15.0.3 from here:
https://support.precisely.com/product-downloads/item/mapinfo-pro-v15-0-3-maintenance-release/

15.0.3 may also be the solution for those on 12.0 / 12.5.

Regards
Uffe Kousgaard

Roger

Jul 8, 2021, 1:42:17 PM7/8/21
to MapInfo-L
Update

Did upgrade to 15.0.3 but the behavior is the same, it launches and stays there...

Created a case, # PRE-00428059, in the Precisely support page.

Roger

Giles Sutton

Jul 8, 2021, 3:11:27 PM7/8/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Same here

Alex Lopez Toro

Jul 8, 2021, 5:24:39 PM7/8/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Same here for MapInfo version 12.0.2.

--
Saludos,

Atentamente.

Alex David López Toro
Analista TI / Administración / Honduras
Tel: +504 2564-7880 Ext.4502

El sistema de correo electrónico de Aje, está destinado únicamente para fines del negocio, cualquier otro uso contraviene las políticas de la empresa. Toda la información del negocio contenida en este mensaje es confidencial y de uso exclusivo de Aje; su divulgación, copia y/o adulteración están prohibidas bajo responsabilidad y sólo debe ser conocida por la persona a quien se dirige este mensaje. Si Ud. ha recibido este mensaje por error por favor proceda a eliminarlo y notificar al remitente.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Jul 8, 2021, 5:36:25 PM7/8/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I just checked with our support system and came across this:

The latest Office 365 updates is the problem.
Microsoft has a page that explains how to revert to the previous version:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2bd5c457-a917-d57e-35a1-f709e3dda841

This seems to have helped other users.

Also note that this issue has only been seen with the 32-bit versions of MapInfo Pro.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

www.precisely.com

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer

Jul 8, 2021, 5:36:36 PM7/8/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
We had a customer reporting this. Seems likely it was caused by a Windows update. Fixed by reinstalling MapInfo.

Tim

Jul 8, 2021, 6:13:20 PM7/8/21
to MapInfo-L
Hello,

Found article number 000048842, published today by Precisely:  MapInfo Pro 32-bit fails to launch after Microsoft Office update (precisely.com), followed the instructions and MI Pro worked like a charm.

Roger

Thị Nguyễn Văn

Jul 8, 2021, 9:05:33 PM7/8/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Roger
I have the same problem with MapInfo Pro 12.0. I have solved by the article  MapInfo Pro 32-bit fails to launch after Microsoft Office update (precisely.com) and it works perfectly fine.

Thi, N.V

Vào Th 6, 9 thg 7, 2021 vào lúc 05:13 Roger <frait...@gmail.com> đã viết:

--
Nguyễn Văn Thị (Msc)
Department of Remote Sensing Application in Forestry

Alex Lopez Toro

Jul 8, 2021, 9:06:57 PM7/8/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
To resolve the issue, uninstall the Access database engine 2010 and reinstall, works for me.

MapInfo ver 12.0.2

fjavier.gar...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2021, 6:53:17 AM7/9/21
to MapInfo-L
Hi,
I had the same problem. Every now and then I can't open access files and then I run the following file: AccessDatabaseEngine_2010.exe and I it allows me reopen microsoft access files. This time it has served to start Mapinfo and since then I can open Mapinfo.
Regards