Can Mapinfo works with Google Earth cartography ??

Miriam Rivera Hernández

May 20, 2015, 12:14:40 AM5/20/15
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I have a dude, Actualy I'm working Mapinfo with  Navteq maps but I want to know if It's possible work with Google cartography and how to do..

Thanks a lot.

Miriam

Grant Roberts

May 20, 2015, 12:26:05 AM5/20/15
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

you can. use google maps but you need to put in registered marks with coords then register in mi they cannot. be directly imported..  ve aware of the gnu and licence issyes with Google as some uses ok some not   also do a search for free basemap can also use esri server for map tiles..  not as good as Google but directly  user in. mi..  some countries have to E servers for free as well but you Wi. need to check on the govt websites for these

archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

May 20, 2015, 3:40:12 AM5/20/15
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Almost a year ago Brendan released his Tile Server Basemap tool for MapInfo Pro

You can read more about it here on his blog:

And in this old thread on the list:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mapinfo-l/Lqzg7r4j12M/discussion

Access to Google Data inside MapInfo Pro requires a license.
Some of the other tile server maps in Brendan's tool do require a registration. It's mentioned in the blog post.

A while back Jacob Pescini from Critchlow in New Zealand wrote about a similar tool but only for New Zealand aerial imagery. You can read the article on the blog here: http://blog.critchlow.co.nz/blog/how-to-access-the-latest-aerial-imagery-for-new-zealand-in-mapinfo-pro
Again to use these services you need a LINZ data service key. I'm not sure whether that's for free or not.

And finally if you have the latest version of MapInfo Pro and you are on maintenance, you have access to two Bing tile services, Bing Aerial and Bing Hybrid. If you have MapInfo Pro Premium you also have access to Bing Roads.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Pitney Bowes Software

Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 11:26:01 +0700
Subject: Re: [MI-L] Can Mapinfo works with Google Earth cartography ??
From: gr...@ss-i.biz
To: mapi...@googlegroups.com

Juan Berroa

May 21, 2015, 9:10:23 PM5/21/15
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Miriam,

Take look at MapperG add-on.   I have used it before.

http://www.mappingsolutions.com/ms-mapperg/

Juan Pablo Berroa

Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 16:04:59 -0700
From: mlm...@gmail.com
To: mapi...@googlegroups.com

jcoleman...@gmail.com

May 9, 2022, 12:14:30 PM5/9/22
to MapInfo-L
Is anyone here still using this ESRI Basemaps tool?  Mine stopped working last Friday.  I was hoping it was just a temporary server issue, but it is still not working today.

Cinda Graubard

May 9, 2022, 3:43:35 PM5/9/22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

There is a pay as you go tool called MapperG, about 500$

Found here https://mapperg.com/

I have only tried it one or two times and found some limitations but admit to not having spent a lot of time with it.

Our standard work flow is via QGIS using their Web-QuickMapServices plugin to bring up the GE imagery in the area of interest, then export to  image (using geotiff option )we get great results which can be manipulated before export wrt resolution etc. Works perfectly.

Cinda Graubard

GeoMax

Boulder CO

…………………………………………………………………………………………………

Cinda Graubard

GeoMax

303.440.4539 office

720.272.9812 mobile

GIS for Mineral Exploration

2D and 3D Visualization, Integration, Analysis, Modeling

Project and Data Management

Data capture and conversion

Databases

Software Sales and Training

jcoleman...@gmail.com

May 9, 2022, 3:54:22 PM5/9/22
to MapInfo-L
I'm actually testing MapperG right now.  The main problem I have found with it, is it's refresh is too slow when I try to batch print.

DawnH

May 11, 2022, 6:10:28 PM5/11/22
to MapInfo-L
I still use GEScene - looks like v1.5 is still the latest version https://gescene.software.informer.com/1.5/
It works like Cinda describes above but instead of using QGIS to capture the image you want - you do it straight from MapInfo using the GEScene toolbar
Just make sure you give the correct attribution and copyright statements in the marginalia of your map https://www.google.com/help/terms_maps/

Dawn Hendrick
Tasmania, Australia

gr...@ss-i.biz

May 11, 2022, 7:50:12 PM5/11/22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Mine still  not working .. any ideas for a fix

jcoleman...@gmail.com

May 12, 2022, 9:27:56 AM5/12/22
to MapInfo-L
Thank you, Dawn.  That sounds like a great alternative, but until I'm back in the office, I can't see if the supported screen resolutions will work for me.  I am having trouble finding exactly what I need to show on my maps for attribution & copyright.  Do you have a sample I could see of what you use?

DawnH

May 13, 2022, 7:08:39 AM5/13/22
to MapInfo-L
Each time you save an image from Google Earth the jpg file has a Google Earth logo saved into it and the copyright statement of the sources.  I crop the logo and insert it into my map either bottom left or bottom right and I reproduce the text of the source statement using Arial 9 pt white with a black halo and insert that in the bottom centre of the map (see screenshots)  I also add one line to my Source and Attribution statements in the Marginalia of my maps stating what date the Google Imagery was captured (which is stated when you save an image).  If what I have said doesn't make sense I am happy to talk privately and send you map examples
Google Earth logo.png     Copyright statement.png

jcoleman...@gmail.com

May 13, 2022, 8:33:57 AM5/13/22
to MapInfo-L
Thanks again Dawn.  I'm back in the office and got my resolution changed to a supported size, so I can launch the tool now.  However, I immediately get several ini errors, then when I try to create an overlay, it gives another error about not being able to write the kml.  I tried in both v15 & 19, just to make sure, but same in both.  I guess that option is out for me.