mapinfo professional 2019 installation

Bryan Hughes

Feb 25, 2021, 5:36:37 AM2/25/21
to MapInfo-L

hi, i'm having problems with the above.

i am trying to install a trial version on windows 10 pro 64 bit.

it appears to install ok, but when i run it, i get the splash screen then nothing else.

i have installed it using the pre-installed windows administrator user, and have tried using run as administrator and -NoAutoLoad to run it without success. i get no error messages.

i have tried installing 2019.1 build 41 and 2019.3 build 43 with the same result.

i get no messages when i ran the installer regarding the dependencies, although i do need to check i have the required windows updates. i will run process monitor when i get a moment to see where it fails when i run it. in the mean time, has anyone else had this problem, and found a fix???

cheers

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Feb 25, 2021, 5:49:24 AM2/25/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Bryan

Did you also run the Installer as administrator?

Peter Horsbøll Møller

www.precisely.com

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer

Feb 25, 2021, 11:55:06 AM2/25/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Peter

I get the same issue but with mapbasic maybe somehow linked to some updates to windows 10. Precisely needs to have a look.

Cheers

Scott

External Email: Please use caution when opening links and attachments / Courriel externe: Soyez prudent avec les liens et documents joints

archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.

Bryan Hughes

Feb 25, 2021, 12:06:59 PM2/25/21
to MapInfo-L
yes. i ran a cmd prompt via 'run as administrator' and ran the msi from there :-(

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Feb 26, 2021, 2:05:28 AM2/26/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bryan

We do not recommend installing MapInfo Pro using the MSI.

I’d recommend trying to reinstall MapInfo Pro using the Setup.exe.

This will also make sure the necessary prerequisites are installed

Bryan Hughes

Feb 26, 2021, 7:40:14 AM2/26/21
to MapInfo-L
Thanks Peter, I'll give it a go. FYI I ran Process Monitor but couldn't find any obvious point of failure, just lots of PATH_NOT_FOUND entries for PCB files and lots of writes to a MapInfo DMP file! There is an associated TXT file for every DMP file but this just comprises '#01 => RaiseException                   [   0] ???'.

Bryan Hughes

Feb 26, 2021, 9:17:35 AM2/26/21
to MapInfo-L
Setup.exe worked!!! Feeling somewhat embarrased now :-). Thanks Peter.

So, setup.exe installs the pre-requisite components, whereas the MSI does not? Correct??? Not that it matters, but if that is the case, why provide an MSI??