Plotting my network's coverage at Mapinfo

Murtaza Hussain

May 25, 2009, 12:38:01 AM5/25/09
to MapInfo-L
Hi,

I am a very new user of MAPINFO software with no training yet. I have
been given an urgent task to plot my network's coverage over the GIS
database of my city. Can anyone help me out on how to start this task
and rest I will do it myself.

Thanks,
Murtaza Hussain

Gentreau

May 25, 2009, 3:01:30 AM5/25/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

What kind of network is it?

Radio, fibre, cable ??

murtaz...@gmail.com

May 25, 2009, 4:33:37 AM5/25/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Its a radio wimax network. I have mapinfo professional 9.5

murtaz...@gmail.com

May 25, 2009, 4:35:13 AM5/25/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
It is a radio wimax network. I have mapinfo professional 9.5

Gentreau

May 25, 2009, 4:39:13 AM5/25/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

In that case, what propagation/coverage planning tool do you have?
The only thing you will be able to do in MapInfo is to display an exported
coverage map.

You need to go to your coverage planning tool and export the coverage of
each AP as a MapInfo layer.
You can then open tat layer in MapInfo and display it over your background
maps.

Gentreau.

Murtaza Hussain

May 25, 2009, 4:48:29 AM5/25/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Gentreau,

It would be very easy if I had that tool with me. We are a small operator and at the moment and have not invested much on tools but have Mapinfo license. Our telecom regulatory has asked us for Mapinfo representation of our BTS sites and the amount of sectors as they require MIF files from us.

I know it cannot draw the coverage but I hope I will be able to atleast show them the BTS sites with respective sectors & its azimuths. Can I do this or anything similar to this?

I hope I have been able to explain what I need!

Regards,
Murtaza Hussain

Gentreau

May 25, 2009, 5:01:29 AM5/25/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Murtaza,

You can generate the sector symbols from your basic geographic data with the demo version of Plan-Opt.
Take a look at www.plan-opt.com and download the free demo.
It is designed for GSM and UMTS networks currently, with no specific support for WiMax, however, if all you need is to create the cell/AP objects, then with a bit of data manipulation you should be able to do that.

If you have difficulties, then there is a full help system in the tool, and a support email address if you still have problems.

I would appreciate an email to the support address from your company email account to confirm which network and country you are working in.

BR
Gentreau.

May 25, 2009, 5:19:14 AM5/25/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Not easily, that's why Plan-Opt does it internally.
I have yet to see a convincing method of doing this with just a plain installation of MI-Pro

Nov 25, 2016, 11:27:15 AM11/25/16
to MapInfo-L
hello sr,
i want to plot site for emf survey.