How to completely uninstall and remove Mapinfo and all files connected to Mapinfo from system?

Miroslav Umlauf

Feb 10, 2014, 6:35:53 PM2/10/14
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
It can sound like easy thing. All I want is uninstall Mapinfo (12) and Discover  from my system completely because it is not working properly. And install it again as new fresh install.

But I tried already at least 5 times to completely uninstall it and install again and it is still asking for missing mapbasic scripts etc.

I figure out the installer won't remove all the files from user folder and Program Files so I wiped out:

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\MapInfo
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Encom
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Mapinfo
C:\Program Files (x86)\MapInfo
C:\Program Files (x86)\Encom

But as I wrote before that is not enough. Mapinfo must stick its fingers somewhere else too because even that doesn't help completely.

Will be glad for any ideas. I have already lost hours of my working time on this. Thanks in advance for any tips.

grant

Feb 10, 2014, 8:21:02 PM2/10/14
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

I would contact mapinfo support … it sounds like something else going on… what windows are u using if 8.1 its not certified for this… and is mapinfo fully patched to latest version

archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.

Miroslav Umlauf

Feb 10, 2014, 8:46:33 PM2/10/14
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
@Grant Roberts

Thank you for the answer. Mapinfo was fully patched before uninstall and after two first re-installs. Now I am not applying patches because the problems are obviously patch independent and it is only waste of time to apply it again. It must be something which stays on my computer.

The system is Windows 7 64 bit. I found there were also directories in another folder (hidden by default in Windows):
C:\ProgramData\

- don't remember if there were both Encom and Mapinfo but anyway deleted everything like that.

I also used registry cleaners which found hundreds of messy registry entries left by Mapinfo and Discover in Windows registries. Also used regedit to go manually through registry and wipe out many additional Mapinfo and Encom leftovers.

But I am sure the main problem is with saving settings into my user folder because before I also completely re-installed computer. It wiped out everything except my user profile (that is saved on our work network).

So it must be something in: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local or C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming or somewhere else in user folder which is causing the problems.

grant

Feb 10, 2014, 9:29:58 PM2/10/14
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

ONCE YOU DLETE REGISTRY ENTRIES AND DIRECTORIES THE UNINSTALLER DOES NOT Know what to do…I suspect at some point you had a system crash and its corrupted something

It might be faster to create a new windows install and reinstall everything else… better than 5 times worth of deleting and reinstalling MI

Try also commercial registry cleaners and or system optimisers

Exactly what are the symptoms .. it wont start?? What happended when you first had a problem…

Maybe also worth running a check on windows and I can remember what the command is but it will go through and fix all missing dll’s …

MI uses a bunch of C++ libraries and I did have a problem with this at one stage … I think I managed to wind it all the way back and it eventually worked…. This was to do with a corrupted C++ install… so you could also try getting the lastest C++ libraries and installing those separeley and then trying to redo MI

Feb 10, 2014, 10:09:44 PM2/10/14
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Whatabout antivirus software

And of course install as admin that is the c++ libraries too

Miroslav Umlauf

Feb 10, 2014, 10:41:48 PM2/10/14
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for trying help. To make it clear: I don't have problem to uninstall or install Mapinfo. The problem is no matter how many times I do it it remembers the previous settings. For example tools (mapbasic tools) which I used in previous installation but don't want to use anymore. After standard uninstall (on fresh installed computer) I found many files which Mapinfo left behind. All over the hard drive. Also it leaves many entries in registry. In other words when you properly uninstall Mapinfo it doesn't mean it was removed from system completely. It leaves mess behind - obviously programmers of Mapinfo didn't care about clean up.

So to make my question more focused. What Mapinfo mess stays in my user folder after uninstall and keeps information about settings - especially tools? How to wipe it out?
- (it must be in user folder because that is the only thing saved on network, everything else was completely re-installed)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.

grant

Feb 10, 2014, 11:03:46 PM2/10/14
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

I understand ….. the best place is MI support they should be able to do but catch with this you need a support contract… I gather you dont have

My understanding yes MI leaves security and stuff behind…. It must be picking up something its hidden as an obscure file …. These things worse than virus’s … they so paranoid about security and their software

My gut feel is this is C++ library issue and I would also uninstall these as this wont be removed by the MI uninstall

Feb 11, 2014, 12:30:51 AM2/11/14
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
We ceased Mapinfo support. They were keen but except bug reporting there was not much to ask them. Our questions usually ended up int the way "you can vote for this feature on PB Idea Community". After this experience we are moving to other software. But we have a lot of projects done in Mapinfo so we will use this software for many more years. Though less and less.

Anyway I solved the complete uninstall by asking our network administrator to reset my user account. After that I installed Mapinfo again and everything is in default settings.

Thank you for all your tips. I appreciate that.

Grant Roberts

Feb 11, 2014, 12:45:27 AM2/11/14
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Good stuff must have been some setting there mi ok...  Im told there's minimal development and the support contract a waste of money...  Ive usyally solved my own problems ir asked someone I know...  What software are you moving too

Miroslav Umlauf

Feb 11, 2014, 12:52:17 AM2/11/14
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Well there is some development but comparing to competitors not much. In my personal opinion PB tries to get better in it and there is some visible progress but not enough for us. Talking about support it is very relative. If you are struggling to open your first data layer, see what data you have in the table, do some basic query etc., support can be definitely helpful. I think what software we are moving to shouldn't not be part of this discussion. Sorry :-)

Grant Roberts

Feb 11, 2014, 1:03:37 AM2/11/14
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Im just curious I've used arcgis and a few public domain codes..  Mi does what I want but steep learn curve..  Note I don't work for Pb jyst a product user so no agenda ok

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Feb 11, 2014, 2:34:12 AM2/11/14
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Miroslav

Sorry for your struggle.
This is the normal procedure our support recommends when clearing a MapInfo Professional installation from your computer:

1.  Proceed with uninstalling MapInfo Pro via Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features.
2.  Backup and delete the folder  %AppData%\MapInfo.
3.  Backup and delete the folder C:\Program Files\MapInfo.
4.  Backup and delete Trusted Storage located C:\Program Data\FLEXnet.
5.  Open the Registry editor (Start > Run > regedit) then proceed to backing up and deleting the following keys:
     *   \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mapinfo\Mapinfo\Professional\<VERSION_NUMBER>
     *   \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mapinfo\Mapinfo\Professional\<VERSION_NUMBER>
6.  Reboot
7.  Re-install MapInfo Professional (please note that if you are running Windows 7 or 8 you will need to right click on the executable and select Run as Administrator).

Notice that we are using the Registry for certains settings as well, such as tools in the Tool Manager

I'll try to hunt down a description on how to uninstall Discover, too. If for nothing else, then just to have it in the thread here for the next person struggling

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Pitney Bowes Software

Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 13:03:37 +0700

Miroslav Umlauf

Feb 11, 2014, 3:35:29 AM2/11/14
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Peter. I think I did all these steps and lot more (except of deleting the C:\Program Data\FLEXnet - I had no idea about that one). Unfortunately that was not enough in my case. Something left on my network user profile. But it could be just some wrong synchronization of  my user profile - respectively local %AppData% in my user folder and server version of it. Anyway complete reset of my user account helped.

 I think I wrote here before if there would be some voting on best PB employee you are my winner.

Glen O

Feb 11, 2014, 9:10:57 AM2/11/14
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
I just went through this about 2 months ago simple answer I had to rebuild my machine to get mapinfo 12 off and mapinfo 10 installed .

I searched the reg for every entry of mapinfo and deleted it still no luck,

I can't understand why uninstall does not in fact work.

basically if you try to test/try out mapinfo 12, you can't go back to your old version

Nicolae

Jun 6, 2017, 11:38:18 AM6/6/17
to MapInfo-L
You can install Revo Uninstaller. Deleted all the remnants without breaking a sweat!

Regards

Miguel Ponce

Dec 2, 2017, 4:30:42 PM12/2/17
to MapInfo-L
Thank you Miroslav,

Can you please add the description on how to unistall Discover as well. I have a bad time uninstalling a previous version of Discover and installing the new Datamine version.

Kind regards,

Miguel

Ramon Perez

Dec 4, 2017, 10:53:26 PM12/4/17
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
If you wanna delete Mapinfo and Encom Discover completely for reinstall these again, you can :

(thinking that C is your principal disk and master disk for instalations, if you have a secundary disk for instalations, please locate all folder with name Mapinfo and Encom and delete these too)

Try deleting the folders on (please before create a backup of these, because here is located some user configurations that maybe you will need recover after):
C:\ProgramData\Mapinfo
C:\ProgramData\Encom
Additinal using Win + R , type:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming

goto folders an delete these:

Encom
Mapinfo

Go to windows registry and delete these
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Encom
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MapInfo
\HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\MapInfo
\HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\MapInfo PDF Printer Version 11.5

Additional goto Program Files and Program Files (X86) and delete any folder that exist with name:
Mapinfo or Encom

Restart your machine and run the installer with full Administrator rights (right click on installer and Run as Administrator)

I hope you´ll have  success

--

Ramón Pérez