MBX to open MIP completely stripped down

Matthew Hirsch

May 21, 2024, 11:49:54 AMMay 21
to MapInfo-L
I am working with technical support in trying to figure out why a create object command on a huge file (500,000+ objects) runs significantly faster in MIP 9 than it does in every other version since then.  30 minutes to 3 hours.
The thought is older versions ran leaner and used less resources.
We'd stay with 9, but its not supported and even activating it on new systems requires direct support involvement.

One suggestion to speed things up was to turn off all the elements within MIP (Tools, menus and anything else that takes resources.)

We are going to use the -noautoload -nosplash when opening MIP 19.

Is there a way to have an MBX do this?   Turn off everything possible, run the create object commands, then reset everything?

Its going to be work, but this is something we do often.

Thank you.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

May 22, 2024, 3:52:30 AMMay 22
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
If you know what you do and don’t need to rollback the change, you could try enabling FastEdit for the table:

Set Table someTableName FastEdit On

This will write the record directly to the table and skip the transaction files.

Use this statement to take the table back into normal mode:

Commit Table someTableName

This does not explain why it takes substantial longer though.

You could also try:
- turning off event processing
- closing the Explorer window

Just a few ideas

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer

Den 21. maj 2024 kl. 17.50 skrev Matthew Hirsch <mrhr...@gmail.com>:

This message originated Externally. Use proper judgement and caution with attachments, links, or responses.

archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mapinfo-l/8ccc1e8d-8cd5-4772-b8b5-599d9e1278e6n%40googlegroups.com.