convert Dxf or DWG to Mapinfo and keep correct projection

chen...@yahoo.com

Apr 13, 2009, 5:15:58 PM4/13/09
to MapInfo-L
Anyone could point me the way to convert autocad file to Mapinfo TAB
with the correct projection? Universal translator will only convert
CAD file to TAB with no Projection info contained, no way for me to
show CAD features in georeferenced air photo at all.

Thanks a lot

Kevin

David Reid

Apr 13, 2009, 6:05:47 PM4/13/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
When using Universal Translator, you can specify the desired projection, or
I should say, specify the projection you believe the DWG/DXF data to be
drawn in. When you choose Autocad DWG/DXF file format in the Universal
Translator dialog window, you should see a "Projection" button appear.
Simply click this button and select the projection you need for the data
being imported/converted.

HTH
David Reid

Mats Elfström

Apr 14, 2009, 6:14:35 PM4/14/09
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin!

Remember that CAD files relate to a flat paper space, and not to the curved surface of the earth.
So by definition, they cannot have any projection.
However, the objects in the cad drawing can be analogous to a flat paper map which of course is drawn in some kind of projection and coordinate system.
Ask the provider of the CAD file which coordinate system they are using and enter that when you convert the file.
If they don't know, the only way is trial and error.
Another way is to treat the CAD file as a flat, non-earth dataset and accept the paper coordinates as they are.
But then you will not be able to view it together with a geographical data set, of course.

Regards, Mats.E