Detect changes to object geometry

James Harvie

Mar 2, 2021, 3:02:47 PM3/2/21
to MapInfo-L
I need to compare two versions of the same road network file to determine which records have had a change in their object geometry between the two versions.  Is there a query that can do this quickly?  I do not need to know what the change was, just that there was a change.  Both tables have a corresponding unique ID.

James Harvie

Uffe Kousgaard

Mar 3, 2021, 2:17:47 AM3/3/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There is no easy query, but a generic solution would be something like this:

1) Sort both tables according to ID
2) Loop through the tables, while you check if objects exist in table1, but not table2 and vice versa.
3) If they exist in both tables, check if they are the same object type, PLINE.
4) Check if they have the same number of nodes
5) Finally check if the coordinates are the same.
6) Move to next object(s).

Regards
Uffe Kousgaard

On 02-03-2021 21:02, James Harvie wrote:
I need to compare two versions of the same road network file to determine which records have had a change in their object geometry between the two versions.  Is there a query that can do this quickly?  I do not need to know what the change was, just that there was a change.  Both tables have a corresponding unique ID.

James Harvie
archives, feature requests, to visit our Wiki, visit the Welcome page at
http://groups.google.com/group/mapinfo-l?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MapInfo-L" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mapinfo-l/09abeee2-4575-41b4-bab1-1053789f8a2fn%40googlegroups.com.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

Mar 3, 2021, 2:44:09 AM3/3/21
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

You could also chose to update a text column with some spatial characteristics of the spatial object.

That could be the length, the centroid X and Y values, the number of nodes and maybe the coordinates of the start and end nodes.

Divide these values with a spatial character like “|” or “#”.

If these values are identical, there is a good chance the objects are identical too.

If you want to be completely sure, you will have to inspect the individual nodes.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

www.precisely.com

Peter Horsbøll Møller
Principal Sales Engineer - Distinguished Engineer