Any idea on how to get MapForge working with an Nvidia graphics card

Marc Gillham

May 26, 2020, 3:24:22 PM5/26/20
to MapForge User Group

The title says it all really. It's new desktop time and that means the endless battle try and get MapForge to run on it.

I have the MapForge directory just placed on my user folder. I am running as administrator. It is running in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode. The only different thing I can think of on this machine is it has a graphics card.

When I run MapForge I just get a tiny box saying "MapForge" at the top left of my screen (see below)

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,
Marc.

Marc Gillham

May 26, 2020, 3:27:20 PM5/26/20
to MapForge User Group
Possible clue... the task that is running in Task Manager with the MapForge icon is called "Adobe Projector (32 bit)"

Bruce Meyer

May 27, 2020, 11:29:25 AM5/27/20
to MapForge User Group
I have run Maprforge through a couple of nvidia graphics cards with no issue. If you are running XP how old is your machine? I ask this because it might be the hardware in general as to why Mapforge will not run, then again it might be the fact that you're still running XP. I am running Windows 10 pro and it runs fine. I do have an old 2005 Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop that will not run Windows 10 but it does run Windows 7 just fine. I wonder if Mapforge will work on that old beast....lol.

Heruca

May 27, 2020, 1:30:25 PM5/27/20
to MapForge User Group
I mistakenly answered this privately via email, so I figured I'd post the reply here, too.

It sounds like it might be the zoomed text setting in Windows.

From the Downloads page:

If MapForge won’t launch on your PC without locking up or quitting, see the section called “Windows-specific Incompatibility Discovered” in this Kickstarter Update.

If that’s not it, let me know how many Add-Ons you’ve installed and enabled at once.

Heruca

May 27, 2020, 1:31:52 PM5/27/20
to MapForge User Group
I do all my Windows testing on a VM running Win 7, so MapForge should run fine even on older computers.

Marc Gillham

May 28, 2020, 9:34:26 AM5/28/20
to MapForge User Group
Hi Bruce - thanks for the reply. I'm actually running a brand new fully patched Windows 10 Pro machine. Heru's advice is to run the application in Windows XP or Windows 8 compatibility mode as it is a 32-bit app.

Marc Gillham

May 28, 2020, 10:40:48 AM5/28/20
to MapForge User Group
Thanks for the reply. I don't have that as an option in my Control Panel, please see below...

Something else has happened now. I get this error message on the first time I try to start the application. Then the second time I get the blank screen.

I only have two packs loading... the Jade Halls of Nys and Greytale's Tavern.

Heruca

May 28, 2020, 11:44:00 AM5/28/20
to mapforge-...@googlegroups.com
Did you recently add or remove a display? See if Shift-Backslash fixes that error by making the app fill your display and recalculate the size and position of the yellow rectangle on your Minimap (that's what the error message is referring to).

If that doesn't do the trick, I suggest you get a fresh copy of the "MapForge.dxr" file from the zip file (uncompress it, first), and put it in your MapForge folder, overwriting the existing file. Make sure you're always using the same version of MapForge (v1.1.4 or v.1.1.5), because you don't want to mix files from different versions.

Marc Gillham

May 28, 2020, 1:34:18 PM5/28/20
to MapForge User Group
No, this PC has only ever had one display.

I tried the shift+backslash... that did nothing.
I tried replacing the MapForge.dxr file, again no change.

Out of interest, I changed the resolution on the monitor to "native" (which is 576p, 720 x 576) and I different series of errors as follows...

I then get the MapForge splash screen and it seems to be loading the two add-ons, then flashes back to a blank screen...

Any clues?

Heruca

May 28, 2020, 1:43:21 PM5/28/20
to MapForge User Group
MapForge has a minimum resolution of around 1280 x 768, so it won't run at your display's native resolution.

But I think you should be able to fix this by manually deleting a MapForge preferences file called “Display.txt”.

You can find that preferences file by looking in all three of these places:

Look here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Director 11\MapForge\Prefs\

And here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Adobe\Director 11\MapForge\Prefs\

And here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Director 11\MapForge\Prefs\

(the exact path varies under different versions of Windows, and depends on the compatibility mode you've selected for MapForge on 64-bit Windows)

Rename the “Display.txt” file to something like "NerfedDisplay.txt", then try launching MapForge and see if the problem has gone away. If it has, please post the contents of the "NerfedDisplay.txt" file here, so that I can see try to figure out what might have gone wrong.

Heruca

May 28, 2020, 1:46:12 PM5/28/20
to MapForge User Group

By the way, are you using a TV as a monitor?

I had one customer who was doing this, and they had a hard time getting MapForge to run properly, but tweaking some setting on their nVidia card that was driving the TV display suddenly made everything work fine and fast.

Marc Gillham

May 28, 2020, 2:02:38 PM5/28/20
to MapForge User Group
Funny you should mention that, but yes, it it a television. I just changed the resolution on the Nvidia card to 1080i, 1728x1026 and everything just worked. Slightly annoying because the text is tiny and a little blurry at that resolution, but at least it works now!

Heruca

May 28, 2020, 2:04:10 PM5/28/20
to MapForge User Group
Any intermediate resolutions available? If so, that should help make the text look less small.