Deprecating the mailing list, sending invites to the Tiled forum

Thorbjørn Lindeijer

Feb 12, 2015, 10:15:42 AM2/12/15
to mape...@googlegroups.com
Dear followers of the mailing list / Google Group,

Since a few months, I've been hosting a new Tiled forum at
http://forum.mapeditor.org. And so far it has been quite a success. So
much that I consider it superior to the mailing list in every way:

* The forum has seen more activity than the mailing list from the start
and continues to do so. This indicates it is a much more accessible
medium for most people. Over 100 people have already signed up to the
forum in the past months, compared to 377 people who subscribed to this
mailing list in 4 years.

* The forum has categories, allowing users to subscribe to notifications
only in the categories they are interested in (for example the "Release"
category).

* The forum provides a much superior and modern web interface than
Google Groups. It will also host images for you.

* The forum can do everything the mailing list could. If you want you
can receive an email for each new topic. It is also possible to reply
via email.

* It is easy to search the forum and when typing new topics a similarity
search is automatically done to try avoiding duplicate topics.

So, I'll be deactivating the mailing list later today and you will all
receive an invite to the forum, making it easier to sign up. If you do
not wish to act upon this invite, just delete it. The invite should
expire automatically after 4 days.

Finally, I want to thank everybody who joined to support me on Patreon!
(https://www.patreon.com/bjorn) It is great seeing the number of patrons
slowly growing and this makes me feel positive about the future of
Tiled.

Best regards,
Bjørn

Petr Viktorin

Feb 12, 2015, 11:51:37 AM2/12/15
to mape...@googlegroups.com, Thorbjørn Lindeijer
Aw, I liked the low-volume list :)
I've signed up for mail updates from the forum but I don't know how
that'll work out.
If the list ceases to exist, please mail me when the next string
freeze comes along. Thanks!
> --

Thorbjørn Lindeijer

Feb 12, 2015, 2:09:35 PM2/12/15
to Petr Viktorin, mape...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 17:51, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> Aw, I liked the low-volume list :)
> I've signed up for mail updates from the forum but I don't know how
> that'll work out.
> If the list ceases to exist, please mail me when the next string
> freeze comes along. Thanks!

Hey Petr,

No worries, I have always mailed all translators personally in addition
to mailing to the list. In the future, I will keep mailing all
translators and will probably make a small announcement on the forum.

You're right of course that the mailing list was nicely low volume. Yet,
the volume was not intentionally low (apart from my announcements) but
it was simply a less popular medium. If you end up getting too many
emails from the forum, you can adjust your settings to only mail for
certain categories or to only mail a weekly digest.

Best regards,
Bjørn