Multiple maps in one .tmx file and 'map of maps'

Dmitry Smagin

May 26, 2014, 9:18:27 AM5/26/14
to mape...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

Thanks for wonderful editor. I have 2 questions

1) Is it planned to allow multiple maps in one tmx file?

I know that maps could be separate tmx files with shared tiles but this could be useful for 2nd question,

2) Is the 'map of maps' is planned.

Say, a retro labyrinth game is being made with screen-to-screen switching (no scrolling). The most logic is to place every screen into separate map. But later every screen has to be used as puzzle piece to construct a bigger labyrinth. This could be done with a 'map of maps'.

Of course, this behaviour could be emulated with properties if one map is used as a pattern for smaller screens. And again, this would be easier if multiple maps in one .tmx project were supported.

Please, comment.

Dmitry

Thorbjørn Lindeijer

May 26, 2014, 11:12:26 AM5/26/14
to mape...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dmitry,

I would certainly like to make Tiled more flexible in this regard and
allow both multiple layer groups in one map file as well as allowing one
map file to reference other map files. This would be useful for many
purposes and for many games. I briefly mentioned this in the first two
points about "Tiled 2.0" on the donations page
(http://www.mapeditor.org/donate.html#why).

However, at the current level of sponsorship I will likely never be able
to realize these plans since I still need my full time job. At best I
can try get to Tiled 1.0 and keep doing basic maintenance and reviewing
of pull requests. I am considering to do a more visible request for
donations in an attempt to change this, but I will need some time to get
around to that as well.

Best regards,
Bjørn

Deban

Jun 4, 2014, 7:46:38 PM6/4/14
to mape...@googlegroups.com
How about a Kickstarter?
There are some campaigns that ask to improve a product: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/esotericsoftware/spine-features
It's worth mentioning that spine got $67,000 in its first campaign, and that one was to add even more features.

Cheers

Erik Schilling

Jun 5, 2014, 12:51:37 AM6/5/14
to mape...@googlegroups.com

I might be wrong but i think kickstarter is for US and GB only?

Thorbjørn Lindeijer

Jun 5, 2014, 10:23:16 AM6/5/14
to mape...@googlegroups.com
Even if I would be able to use Kickstarter, there's several reasons why
I don't think this approach is going to work for me.

* Tiled is free software, not proprietary like Spine. There are no
licensing rewards I can offer, which might be the main incentive for
people to kickstart Spine and Spine features.

* I have a full time job that I can't pause at or for arbitrary times.

* I'm uncomfortable making big promises and don't have time for big
marketing efforts.

Basically, I just want to have more time for working on whatever seems
to be the next important step for Tiled, and the first step towards this
would in my ideal be to reduce my contract to free up one day a week for
Tiled. For that to work I'm looking for both sponsors and people who
want to do recurring donations to offset the loss of income from my job.

I'm still trying to find some time to communicate this more clearly on
the website as well as showing the progress towards this goal (at the
current level of sponsorship we're almost half way there).

Cheers,
Bjørn

Javier Flores

Jun 5, 2014, 3:38:51 PM6/5/14
to mape...@googlegroups.com

What about patreon?, I have seen open source projects there I think. Not really sure

Thorbjørn Lindeijer

Jun 5, 2014, 4:17:48 PM6/5/14
to mape...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014, at 12:38 PM, Javier Flores wrote:
> What about patreon?, I have seen open source projects there I think. Not
> really sure

Yes, Patreon is one of the services that might be suitable. Another one
I'm looking at (and already have a link to on the Donation page) is
Gittip.

So far I'm a little undecided which one to go for. Gittip takes no fees
of their own, is open source and keeps contributors anonymous, but
Patreon has more features like explicit milestones, rewards to
contributors and accepts PayPal. Still I believe I should decide since
it's not really helpful to offer multiple choices in this case.

Regards,
Bjørn

Javier Flores

Jun 5, 2014, 4:25:10 PM6/5/14
to mape...@googlegroups.com
I would go for patreon, it seems more popular right now.

Bjørn

Javier Flores

Stefan Beller

Jun 5, 2014, 4:28:17 PM6/5/14
to mape...@googlegroups.com
Heh, just today we (the flare team) were contacted by
http://www.pling.it which also collects money for open source projects.
So there is the third option. ;)