Steps to -Connect to Snowflake Data Warehouse from Portofino Version 5

sanj...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2020, 3:43:27 AM6/4/20
to manydesigns-portofino
HI Team,
Please can you help us to connect Snowflake Db to Portofino Version 5.

While trying to connect we are not able to see SNOWFLAKE in the available database platform.

We have already added the JDBC driver in the following path - C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\portofino-5.1.2\portofino-5.1.2\apache-tomcat-9.0.31\lib

After searching bit more in the directories we can see that the connectors are not available for SNOWFLAKE - Path - C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\portofino-5.1.2\portofino-5.1.2\apache-tomcat-9.0.31\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\lib

Please help us to resolve the same.

Br,
Sanjay

Alessio Stalla

Jun 10, 2020, 4:06:09 AM6/10/20
to manydesign...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sanjay,

we don't have a procedure in place for connecting to Snowflake. We support most popular open-source databases such as PostgreSQL and MySQL/MariaDB, and strive to support popular commercial database systems such as Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server. For other database systems, usually, we only develop a specific integration when a customer needs it as part of a project, or as a paid extension (that we may later open source, depending on the agreement with the customer). For example, on Portofino 4 this happened with IBM DB2. This is also because, in addition to the cost of development, testing on certain commercial database systems has a cost in itself, that the customer is already paying (e.g., with Snowflake, the cost of a subscription).

So, for these kinds of enhancements/extensions, the path that I suggest is contracting ManyDesigns (in...@manydesigns.com). The cost is reasonable (especially compared to the operational cost of Snowflake), you'll get a competitive advantage and if you agree to open-source the Snowflake connector you'll be mentioned as a sponsor.

Cheers,
Alessio