Portofino and Tomcat 10

weijan lee

Sep 25, 2023, 12:20:03 AM9/25/23
to manydesigns-portofino
Dear Alessio,

Good day.
Is there any plan on migrating Portofino from Tomcat 9 to Tomcat 10?
And is that possible to migrate Portofino 5.3.4 to Tomcat 10?

Your response is very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Best regards,
WeiJan

Alessio Stalla

Sep 25, 2023, 2:44:42 AM9/25/23
to manydesign...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Tomcat 10 implements the Jakarta EE APIs instead of Java EE. There are no plans to migrate Portofino 5 to Jakarta EE.
We tried a migration of Portofino 6 (in development) last year but didn't succeed. We might try again later this year to see if Portofino's dependencies have updated to Jakarta EE, but that will be limited to Portofino 6.
Tomcat provides an automated migration tool, you may want to try that.

weijan lee

Sep 25, 2023, 4:30:22 AM9/25/23
to manydesigns-portofino
Hi Alessio,

Your prompt reply is very much appreciated.
Can I assume that Portofino 6 will only be released after the migration to Tomcat 10 is successfully done?

As for Tomcat automated migration tool, i had been working with it, and so far, the progress is unfruitful.

Thank you.
Best regards,
WeiJan

Alessio Stalla

Sep 25, 2023, 4:56:59 AM9/25/23
On Mon, 25 Sept 2023 at 10:30, weijan lee <weij...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Alessio,

Your prompt reply is very much appreciated.
Can I assume that Portofino 6 will only be released after the migration to Tomcat 10 is successfully done?

Not necessarily. Portofino 6 will not have Tomcat as the primary deploy option, it will put more focus on Spring Boot (that's available as an option in later versions of Portofino 5 already). So while the move to Jakarta EE would be important, it's not a blocker – if all features are ready, Portofino 6 will come out without it.

weijan lee

Sep 25, 2023, 5:28:00 AM9/25/23
to manydesigns-portofino
Hi Alessio,

Thank you for the update!
Looking forward to Portofino 6.
Meanwhile, I shall continue to work on the migration and hopefully it is feasible.

Thank you.
Best regards,
WeiJan

Alessio Stalla

Sep 25, 2023, 5:45:05 AM9/25/23
to manydesign...@googlegroups.com
Hi Weijan,

you're welcome, and if you have any update to share, please do!
Regarding Jakarta EE support in Portofino 6, you can follow this issue: https://github.com/ManyDesigns/Portofino/issues/525