Etexts of Servius

David Wilson-Okamura

Feb 1, 2011, 10:36:44 AM2/1/11
to Mantovano
For several years, Perseus has hosted the complete text of Servius'
commentary on the Aeneid, as edited by Thilo and Hagen:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0053&redirect=true.
It's lemmatized and searchable.

What about the Eclogues and Georgics? The Thilo-Hagen texts are
downloadable from Google Books at
http://books.google.com/books?id=oRJit6SwUhIC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false.
The link for direct PDF download link is
http://books.google.com/books/download/Servii_Grammatici_qvi_fervntvr_in_Vergil.pdf?id=oRJit6SwUhIC&output=pdf&sig=ACfU3U3Lt8zv6k5QfBfwL1gF2XswpdYODw.

Unfortunately, the Google text is not searchable. However, there are
several texts of and about Servius at archive.org:
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Servius%2C+4th+cent%22.
One of these is a searchable version of the Thilo-Hagen Eclogues and
Georgics. It's not very good -- the searchable text was generated by
OCR from the Google Books facsimile -- but it's better than nothing.
(You could read it on your iPhone if you really wanted to.) Also here:
an early text (1610) of Servius Danielis and "Rites and ritual acts as
prescribed by the Roman religion according to the commentary of
Servius on Vergil's Aeneid" by J. F. Holstein (1915, 54 pages).

Are there better, or just other, texts of Servius online?

Neven Jovanović

Feb 1, 2011, 3:14:30 PM2/1/11
to mant...@googlegroups.com
There seems to be Servius on Eclogues (ed. Thilo) on Perseus:

Yours,
Neven

Neven Jovanovic
Zagreb, Hrvatska / Croatia

David Wilson-Okamura

Feb 3, 2011, 6:46:25 AM2/3/11
to Mantovano
On Feb 1, 3:14 pm, Neven Jovanović wrote:
> There seems to be Servius on Eclogues (ed. Thilo) on Perseus:
> <http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text;jsessionid=1119A3E181F47751D...

And it turns out there is a Georgics text as well:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:2007.01.0092.

David Wilson-Okamura

Feb 3, 2011, 8:48:59 AM2/3/11
to Mantovano
I have just linked to the Perseus texts (which have parsed vocabulary)
on the virgil.org website: http://virgil.org/links. Since the Perseus
texts are free to distribute under the Creative Commons license, I
have also created single-file versions of each work, with Latin
transliterations for Greek. So now you really can download these to
your iPhone or iPod and browse them anywhere.

David Wilson-Okamura

Jun 1, 2011, 12:26:33 PM6/1/11
to Mantovano

Now that I've started working with these texts, I've noticed one
small, annoying feature: they are full of hyphen-breaks (especially
the texts for Eclogues and Georgics). This doesn't bother a human
reader, but it can interfere with searches. This was easy to fix, and
clean versions of the plain text are now available on the website:
http://virgil.org/links. (Look in the colored sidebar on the right.)

--
Dr. David Wilson-Okamura    http://virgil.org          da...@virgil.org
English Department              Virgil reception, discussion, documents, &c

David Wilson-Okamura

Jun 14, 2011, 12:20:27 PM6/14/11
to Mantovano
A couple of updates for the single-file versions hosted at http://virgil.org/links

1. For Ecl. and Geo., indicate material from Servius Auctus/Servius
Danielis/DS with angle brackets. The Perseus texts (following the
Thilo and Hagen edition which they transcribe) use italics for this,
but that formatting disappeared when I translated the texts to raw
ASCII. Unfortunately, the Perseus text for Aeneid makes no distinction
between Servius and DS.

2. Lemmata are now distinguished by capital letters. The Perseus texts
(following the Thilo and Hagen edition which they transcribe) use
small caps for this, but that formatting disappeared when I translated
the texts to raw ASCII.

If wondering, "What are these single-file versions and why are you
duplicating something that is already available on Perseus?" read on: