On the smooth geometry of intersections of quadrics

Jesus Briales

Mar 26, 2017, 5:37:19 AM3/26/17
to Manopt
Hi everyone,
there is a particular (yet general) situation which I have been encountering for a while
in different geometric problems, so I think it might be interesting to discuss it here.

I am referring in particular to constraints on a real mxn matrix X, (X in Re^{mxn})
of the form `tr(X'*B*X)=c`, where the nxn matrix B is symmetric but not necessarily positive semidefinite.
This is quite generic, as this defines a *quadric* on the elements of X.
As such, sets of this constraints could stand for:
- A simple sphere: B = Id, c=0
- A *non-smooth* cone: B = diag(+1,-1), c=0
- A rotation matrix, considering the orthogonality constraints separately.

However, the cases I've been encountering don't seem to adjust to any of these particular geometries.
So, my main question is:
- How to check if the combination/intersection of several of these `tr(X'*B_i*X)=c_i` constraints
  for particular `B_i` and `c_i` yields a *smooth matrix manifold* whose geometry
  could be exploited for optimization in the Manopt fashion?

I assume there is no general simple answer for this,
but still any directions or comments would be highly appreciated.

The resources I've looked into or found so far are:
- The generalized Stiefel manifold, for the case B is positive semidefinite.
  However, in the cases I have encountered B is indefinite
  (often with binary signed eigenvalues 0,+1,-1).
- In general, there seems to be an notable connection with moment-angle manifolds
  and under certain conditions it seems this kind of intersections of quadrics
  should yield a smooth manifold.
  An ingredient that seems to play an important role
  is the transversality of the intersection.
  See:
  - "Moment-agle manifolds and complexes. Lecture notes"
  - "Geometric structures on moment-angle manifolds" by Taras Panov
- The following paper:
  "Intersections of Quadrics, Moment-angle Manifolds and Connected Sums"
  by Samuel Gitler and Santiago Lopez de Medrano
  seems to provide some important and general results
  on the geometry of quadric intersections, but from
  my limited knowledge on topology I hardly understood anything.

If you think this is worth to discuss in more particular deployments,
I can include details on the different cases of interest I've encountered
here or in a different post.

Best regards,
- Jesus

Nicolas Boumal

Mar 26, 2017, 9:18:18 PM3/26/17
to Manopt
Hello Jesus,

This is an interesting question, and I only have a partial answer.

If I understood correctly, you are asking: given a set of constraints trace(B XX') = c (for a collection of B's and c's), how do we know that M (the set of X's that satisfy all constraints) is a smooth manifold?

Notice that this is connected to semidefinite programming (SDP), since, if we let Y = XX', then we find that Y is positive semidefinite and obeys linear constraints trace(BY) = c. The number of columns of X further constrains (potentially) the rank of Y, which is not normally allowed in SDP's aside for quite special cases. I have a paper with Afonso and Vlad about something closely related. Basically, we say in that paper that, if the set of constraints indeed makes M into a smooth manifold, then optimization on manifolds is a good way of solving the SDP (very roughly stated):

In that paper, we briefly address that question of identifying when M is a manifold. Basically, the rule is ans follows: M is a submanifold of R^{n x m} if M can be linearized at each point X into a tangent space T_X M and all of these tangent spaces have the same dimension (in the paper, there is a precise reference to the relevant lemma or proposition in Absil's book to support that claim.)

If M = {X in R^{n x m} : trace(B_k XX') = c_k for k = 1 .. K},

then, for X in M, we can differentiate the constraints to get the tangent space:

T_X M = {U in R^{n x m} : trace(B_k(UX' + XU')) = 0 for k = 1 .. K}
           = {U in R^{n x m} : trace(B_k X U') = 0 for k = 1 .. K}

The normal space is spanned by the matrices B_k X; for example, if they are linearly independent for k = 1 .. K, then the normal space has dimension K, and the tangent space has dimension nm - K. If this is independent of X, then M is a smooth submanifold of R^{n x m}.

So, there is one answer.. but of course, in general, it may be difficult to determine whether this is the case or not.

Best,
Nicolas

Jesus Briales

Mar 27, 2017, 2:12:21 AM3/27/17
to Manopt
Hello Nicolas,
Great answer as usual! :) I was aware of much of the involved materials but your comments have been the key ingredient to put it all together :)
Actually my situation arises from a SDP problem and it was precisely the will to try a "Riemannian staircase"-like approach that pushed my interest on analyzing the potential smoothness of these more general manifolds.

I will try then analyzing if the set of matrices B_k X are linearly independent and let you know if it stands for any case of interest.

Thanks again,
Jesus Briales