Manual approach for ensuring the orthogonality

43 weergaven
Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

grandowife

ongelezen,
8 mrt 2021, 02:57:3508-03-2021
aan Manopt
Hello,

To explain my question, I first describe the background.
I am working on a bi-level optimization problem that contains one variable required to be orthogonal. The problem can be formulated as:
         min_{W, U}     f(V*;  W, U)
         s.t.                  U'U = I
                                 V*= argmin_{V} g(X; U)
where U' is the transpose of matrix U, and I is the identity matrix.

To optimize this problem, I follow the algorithm as:
-----------------------------
Step 1: Given the initial U, solve the lower function g(X; U) and get V*;
Step 2: Given V*, calculate the derivative of upper function w.r.t W and U;
Step 3: Update W and U by one gradient-based method with these derivatives;
Step 4: Repeat these steps until convergence. And output the optimal W and U.
-------------------------------

However, in my last post,  I was failed to ensure the orthogonality of target U during its update.
Lately, I have an idea that uses the core tools in the Manopt to manually ensure such orthogonality. And I hope anyone can give me some advice if this idea can work or not.

My idea is described as:
Step 1: given the t-th iteration U_t and the euclidean derivative d(f; U_t);
Step 2: assume that U is an element on Stiefel manifold, use the related function 'egrad2rgrad' to obtain the Riemannian form of d(f; U_t);
Step 3: Use the 'line search' function to get the step size alpha_t;
Step 4: Use the 'retraction_qr' to generate a new U_t+1 that is orthonomal. Output the U_t+1;

Besides, I also have a question about the step_size alpha.
Could I set a fixed value to it?  Does this influence the performance a lot?

Best wishes,
Shi

Nicolas Boumal

ongelezen,
14 mrt 2021, 04:09:5814-03-2021
aan Manopt
Hello Shi,

Stiefelfactory should certainly allow you to maintain orthogonality, via retractions as you also highlighted.

Regarding step-sizes for line-search methods, you can use the problem.linesearch field described here:

https://www.manopt.org/tutorial.html#costdescription (search the page for the word "linesearch".

You also need to select a line-search algorithm which will use problem.linesearch; for this, you can set "options.linesearch = @linesearch_hint;" and pass the options structure to you solver (steepestdescent or conjugategradient), see here:

Best,
Nicolas
Allen beantwoorden
Auteur beantwoorden