complexcirclefactory

Hamide Zebardast

Jan 13, 2022, 12:04:12 PM1/13/22
to Manopt
Hi,
My question is how the projection and retraction defined in complexcirclefactory manifold.
Wold you please introduce me a good reference ?
Best,
Hamideh

Nicolas Boumal

Jan 13, 2022, 12:45:08 PM1/13/22
to Manopt
Hello,

A complex circle is really just a circle in R^2. Retraction to the circle is implemented in the usual way for spheres: (x+v)/norm(x+v). Only,  complexcirclefactory allows you to have a matrix where each entry is on a circle (that is, we have a product manifold), so the retraction is computed for each entry individually (each entry for its own circle). Likewise for projections to tangent spaces: you just project to the tangent space space of each circle.

Best,
Nicolas

Ronny Bergmann

Jan 17, 2022, 6:06:14 AM1/17/22
to Manopt
HI,
the manual I am linking to is from another programming language (Manifolds.jl in Julia) – not to convince you to switch, just because I drew some illustrations for the case of projections and retractions therein:

Projections of a point (q in the complex plane) can be done in two interpretations: project onto the manifold (called projection/project in Manopt) – which is s_1 in the image
and onto tangent spaces – which is the point s_2 in the image.

For a retraction, imagine you have a point p on the circle and a tangent vector X at that point, then p+X is just a point in the complex plane – and the retraction is given by projecting this back onto the manifold, see s1 case above, or
for an image in comparison to the exponential map.

This is done element wise for the case Nicolas mentioned, i.e. where you have a product manifold.

Best,
Ronny

Hamide Zebardast

Jan 24, 2022, 10:08:40 AM1/24/22
to Manopt
Thanks, I got it. I have read your book including the general concept of retraction and projection. Now I want to cite a reference  in my paper including projection and retraction specifically for complex circle case. Do you have any relevant suggestion?
Best,
Hamideh

Ronny Bergmann

Feb 7, 2022, 8:51:01 AM2/7/22
to Manopt
I would either use the book by Absil, Mahony, Sepulchre as a reference / citation – and/or Nicolas book.