Symmetric positive semidefinite, fixed-rank with unit trace manifold

Mohamed Elsayed

Apr 29, 2024, 9:11:50 AMApr 29
to Manopt
Dear all,

I have a problem with the " Symmetric positive semidefinite, fixed-rank with unit trace " manifold. The problem is mainly that I want to replace the unit trace of the matrix with a bounded trace value, for example, trace(X)<= 10. Can you help me with this issue?

Best regards.

Nicolas Boumal

Apr 29, 2024, 9:29:16 AMApr 29
to Manopt
Hello,

Unfortunately the inequality constraint does not yield a smooth manifold. Here is one way to think about it:  for a vector x in R^n, the constraints ||x|| = 1 defines a sphere, which is a smooth surface; but the constraint ||x|| <= 1 defines a ball: that has a boundary (the sphere), which makes it not smooth.  (Of course, it is still a "manifold with boundary", but Manopt does not have built-in tools for that.)

Best,
Nicolas

Nicolas Boumal

Jun 25, 2024, 8:02:37 AMJun 25
to Manopt
To optimize on a ball (rather than a sphere), wen ow have lifts: