Re: UPCHURCH

Clayton Mann

Aug 21, 2005, 10:59:32 PM8/21/05
to HoltCha...@googlegroups.com, MannWakeChath...@googlegroups.com, suea...@earthlink.net
Gretchen, Martha married Thomas Jones on 14 NOV 1859.  They lived in Chatham County near where the New Hope Township and Cape Fear Township meet, i.e., the southern most part of the New Hope Township.  Martha died between 1880 and 1900.  Thomas was still living in 1900. Wish I knew more about Martha.  I know she had a least four children.  Her second son was named Alston.  Must be something to that name.

Clayton

On 8/21/05, Gretchen Mann <manngr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
rgunter,
Yes, Merritt Upchurch was the husband of Anice (Ann) Mariah Mann, older sister of my William  Alston Mann. Thanks for the dates on Ann. Is Merritt yours? There was another sister, Martha Mann.
Hey Clayton, who did Martha marry? Jones?
Gretchen

http://mail.yahoo.com

JonesThomas&Martha(neeMann)-ChathamNC1870.gif

Clayton Mann

Aug 25, 2005, 1:01:16 AM8/25/05
to sue, MannWakeChath...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sue.  Good information to know.  Gretchen's ancestor William Alston Mann, who was the uncle of the Alston Jones I mentioned a couple of days ago, was the first one in her family who had the name Alston as far as we know.  He was born in the 1840s.  Could be they liked the name Alston for the reasons you mention.

Clayton

On 8/23/05, sue <suea...@earthlink.net> wrote:
Hi Clayton,
Just an aside for you. The Alston family was so prominent and powerful
at that time, that people did name their children for them. I know I
have an Alston as a first name in one of my lines but can find no
connection to them. It doesn't hurt to hunt for one though, does it?
:-)     There has been so much written about them that if you can
connect, you have that line down pretty good.
They were from Halifax Co. NC before coming to Chatham.
Sue