hildon? (etc.)

1 view

Garrett LeSage

Sep 9, 2008, 4:31:26 PM9/9/08
to manju-project
Hey guys; this should make theming a bit better on Linux. It would be
great if there might be a way to export the same graphics to Qt
(basically export to a Qt pixmap engine equivalent, essentially).

Also, have you checked out Hildon, from Maemo (the Nokia Internet
tablets)? It uses, from what I understand, a modified, extremely fast
pixmap-like engine—and it even does themes in the the one–canvas
approach.

Something else which may be worthy of mentioning as well is the
eXperience engine; I hear it is a pretty fast pixmap engine as well.

Also, it seems that the example widgets are a bit large. Sure, it's
scalable SVG for the sources, but shouldn't we do this to pixel scale?

Anyway, just a few initial thoughts.

BTW: I have a SVG set of widgets I currently use for mockups. It would
be nice to be able to port them to a real theme! (:

Looks promising!
Garrett

Tim Janik

Sep 9, 2008, 4:51:25 PM9/9/08
to Garrett LeSage, manju-project
On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Garrett LeSage wrote:

> Hey guys; this should make theming a bit better on Linux. It would be
> great if there might be a way to export the same graphics to Qt
> (basically export to a Qt pixmap engine equivalent, essentially).

Similar to Gtk+, it'd make sense for Qt to either implement widgets
or a theme engine that can use our pixmap theme files (which still
have to be completed ;)
E.g. because we'll be able to provide pixmaps at various DPI sizes,
and provide meta-info for stretching and scaling of the pixmaps.

> Also, have you checked out Hildon, from Maemo (the Nokia Internet
> tablets)? It uses, from what I understand, a modified, extremely fast
> pixmap-like engine—and it even does themes in the the one–canvas
> approach.

The Maemo theme engine is based on the Gtk+ pixmap theme engine and
uses allmost exclusively unscaled fixed size pixmaps.

> Also, it seems that the example widgets are a bit large. Sure, it's
> scalable SVG for the sources, but shouldn't we do this to pixel scale?

Plese note that the example PNGs at:
http://pages.testbit.eu/manju/snapshots/
are artifically scaled (using doubled DPI sizes).

The SVG files contain smaller widgets, and alternate themes could
define even smaller ones.

> Anyway, just a few initial thoughts.
>
> BTW: I have a SVG set of widgets I currently use for mockups. It would
> be nice to be able to port them to a real theme! (:

You might be able to do this right away, the theme spec:
http://pages.testbit.eu/manju/theme-spec.html
basically describes the needed XML object IDs for the
widgets to be recognized by the build scripts.

> Looks promising!
> Garrett

---
ciaoTJ