Event Invitation: How Courts Are Shaping Congress' Power to Investigate

1 view

johnm...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2023, 1:36:25 PM1/25/23
to Manist...@googlegroups.com, K.P. Pelleran, Mary Bernadette Minnick, Dallas/Linda Dean

MANISTEE COUNTY DEMOCRATS!

The current 118th Congress is about to hold the grand opening of the Republican-majority three ring circus.  The first act has been set with 15 of the most extreme MAGA Reps assigned to the Special Committee to Investigate the Weaponization of the US Government.  They will be focused on creating chaos and getting their faces of Fox News because the task of actually legislating and governing our nation is much too difficult for them to consider!

The information below provides us with an opportunity to hear from experts on governmental oversight at the Carl Levin Center.  This panel will be discussing how the federal court system will shape the ability of these committees to issue subpoenas and how and why previous congressional subpoenas were ignored by MAGA Reps like Jim Jordan who, by the way, will be chairperson of the Special Committee to Investigate…!

Your Manistee County Democratic Party wants to provide you with these opportunities to learn more about what is going on in our government.  We will continue to bring opportunities for education like this to you as they arise.

John M. Helge

616-915-2403

Johnm...@gmail.com

450 Cedar St

Manistee, MI 49660

View this email in your browser

How Courts Are Shaping Congress'
Power to Investigate

February 8, 2023
12:00 - 1:30 p.m. ET
Zoom Webinar

Join our online panel of legal experts to discuss how federal courts are shaping the ability of Congress to investigate issues and obtain information. The panel will delve into recent cases in 2021/2022 affecting such issues as: whether the Speech and Debate clause bars suits challenging congressional subpoenas, Congress' authority to subpoena tax return information, the impact of executive and common

law privileges on congressional inquiries, and the rejuvenation of contempt of Congress prosecutions.

Panelists:

Douglas Letter, Former General Counsel, U.S. House of Representatives

Emily Berman, Professor of Law, Houston University Law Center

Andy Grewal, Professor of Law, Iowa College of Law

William Ortman, Professor of Law & Edward M. Wise Research Scholar, Wayne State University Law School

Hosts:

Opening remarks provided by Jim Townsend, Director, Carl Levin Center for Oversight and Democracy, and Adjunct Professor of Law, Wayne State University Law School

Moderated by Elise Bean, Director of the Washington Office, Carl Levin Center for Oversight and Democracy

Twitter

Facebook

YouTube

Copyright © 2023 Wayne State University, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:

Wayne State University

West Palmer St

Detroit, Mi 48202